Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Youth participation

Registered
    Feb 1998

Youth participation

I just got back from making a presentation to a high school class. We have a particularly contentious issue in town (the placement of an events center/arena). Now that it has become a city commission election issue, my boy's government class has discussed it, and I was invited to explain how the recommendation was derived. Got some good feedback, perhaps enlightened a couple of them, and feel good. Need to get out more often and spread the word.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wish someone like you spoke to some of my high school classes, and some of the college classes. My career would have taken a different path.

Registered
    Oct 2001

High Five!

Good for you Mike. I bet they understood the issue better with an insider's perspective to draw upon.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Outreach

Glad to hear that some of us still make it into the schools!

One of the best programs I've been involved with was "Planners Day in School" when I was a student at Ball State. We traveled to Indianapolis to 4th grade classes, and had 3 different sessions. The first was an introduction to land use planning where we would put up a big sheet of paper and have the kids lay out a city. Then we'd discuss with them basic land use principles and they'd redraw their city on a new map. Always produced interesting results.

The second session we brought a laptop with SimCity 2000 (this was a few years ago) and went through a similar exercise.

The third time, we invited the students to BSU for a tour of the department and some GIS simulations.

I like to think that we were able to enlight a few young minds, and at least help them think about their cities and neighborhoods in a different way.

I've wanted to start something similar ever since I returned to NH, but have yet to find the time to do it. I'm thinking that I may get my APA chapter involved and see if anything gets started...I'll have to bring it up at my chapter meeting this week.

Thanks Mike for reminding me how much fun it is to work with students!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The wisdom of youth
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Aug 2013, 8:41 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 23 Oct 2012, 9:18 PM
  3. Youth and planning
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Oct 2010, 7:53 AM