Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Moving to Michigan *from Temp

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Moving to Michigan *from Temp

Thank you all the moving tips. I did not even think about movers… As it is a U-haul, and a tow dolly will cost me about $750… so for the extra money, it might be the way to go.

Yes it is for the City of Portage, I will be a Zoning / Codes Administrator, with a little bit of GIS and regular planning at times.

Does anyone else have any other ideas on moving tips? I plan on moving out of my place the 19th or 20th.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    (Original thread)
    Michaelskis
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 12:42 PM

Does any one have packing tips for a long distance move? I ask because I just got offered a job back in Michigan! (With a city in Kalamazoo County) Although my sister lives in K-Zoo, I would like to know if anyone has any information on fun places to go, and maybe places to live.

I want to thank everyone for all the help that they have provided me!!!

[hr]

Plannergirl
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 12:43 PM

Congrats!!! *no please rub my head for good luck*

advice-get them to pay for the move

[hr]

donk
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 12:43 PM

congrats.

now what to do about the current gf vs the ex........

[hr]

Richmondjake
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 12:44 PM

Congratulations.

[hr]

SkeLeton
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 12:45 PM

Congrats on the new job
    May this job be better and more gratifying than the last one

[hr]

biscuit
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 12:47 PM

Congrats on the Job Michael! I hope you enjoy it there more than you have in PA.

So I'm guessing the card you're looking for was to inform one of the girlfriends about the upcoming move?

[hr]

SGB
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 12:54 PM

Congratulations!

Now remember the karma creed: Pass it on!!

Moving tip: Have a yard/garage/sidewalk sale before you pack. As someone who has moved over 15 times, trust me on this one.

[hr]

JNA
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 12:56 PM

Congrats on the job and moving back to the Midwest

[hr]

Planderella
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 12:57 PM

Congrats on the job! I hope it exceeds your expectations!

[hr]

sw mi planner
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 01:09 PM

Yeah for you - congrats

[hr]

Chet
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 01:20 PM

WOO HOO another Cyburbia power shift to the midwest!

Congrats bud. As far as tips go, dont pack the dog. They dont last more than a few hours.

[hr]

Cardinal
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 01:22 PM

Congratulations! I will help with the move by moving your dot on the Cyburbia map. I've had way too much experience making moves, so as for advice...

- If you can, make more than one trip, moving a carful at a time and putting everything away before your next trip. That saves the overwhelming feeling of having dozens of packed boxes to sort through.

- Start packing at least a couple weeks early. When you come across something you have not used in a long time, ask if you really need it.

- Begin sending out 'change of address' notices as soon as you have a new address.

- Keep an eye out for things you have enjoyed having at work, like free magazines, e-mail alerts, or other stuff that you would still like to have in your new location.

[hr]

Trail Nazi
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 02:36 PM

Congrats!!! I wish you the best of luck.

Moving tip: If you can afford it, hire professional movers to load and unload. They make a huge difference in the whole moving experience.

[hr]

Big Easy King
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 03:19 PM

Congrats on the new job! Packing tip: don't pack your vehicle like Sanford and Son!

[hr]

Chet
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 03:43 PM

So did you get the Moving expenses?

[hr]

BKM
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 04:58 PM

Fantastic! It sounds like your old job was horrible. Whenever I get depressed, I always had your (and donk's) experience to remind me of reality

Kalamazoo was kinda nice city. I suume you are working for Portage?

[hr]

Zoning Goddess
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 05:20 PM

Congratulations, and hope it goes well. Did you ever consider moving to the south to up our Cyburbia numbers??

[hr]

Rem
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 08:50 PM

Congratulations on the new job.

For packing tips, rent a copy of an old Beverly Hillbillies tape.

For things to do in KZ - think of ways to repay your persecutors in your old job. For example, place an ad in the local paper offering your boss' car for sale below market rate - supply his mobile and home phone numbers.

[hr]

Dan
    Posted: Sep 8 2003, 08:51 PM

I highly recommend Allied Van Lines. The estimates are fair and carved in stone, the movers show up when they say they're going to show up, and they deliver your belongings without breaking anything in the process. Don't skimp on moving expenses, or go with a no-name mover.

A move from Reading PA to Kalamazoo MI, about a long day's drive, should be cost about a thousand bucks, depending on the amount of belongings you have.

[hr]

Michaelskis
    Posted: Sep 9 2003, 05:06 AM

*I am going to continue with this on the regular forums…

It is like Christmas, I get to go home to Michigan and Cyburbia is up and running again. Life is just too good.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Moving advice.

I've had good luck using bus parcel to ship somewhat bulky, unbreakable items, such as books.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm going through the same thing right now, but I'm only moving about 10km - lots of car trips and a one-short U-Haul for the larger stuff will do. Cardinal's advice about deciding if you really need a particular item is spot on. I'd also start packing early - it's amazing how quickly the date will creep up on you.

More important than the job, what are you doing with the gf/ex-gf?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The GF and I are going to try to make things work… (and see what happens) I will just leave it at that. She is not happy with the idea of me moving 12 hours away.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Long haul moves

First,
    It's good to have a Great Lakes son back home. This is the best region in the US, IMHO.

Second,
    A little over a year ago, my wife (then finance) and I moved from Milford, Connecticut to Chicago with an over night stop in north Metro Detroit. This was a very long drive. I agree with Tranplanner and Cardinal, definitely get rid of anything you possibly can. It will make the trip easier.

We rented a 20 foot truck with a car dolly for the move. I worked really good. Since your trip is going to be, I estimate, 10-12 hours drive, get a good night's sleep before the drive, and don't push it if you feel tired.

That's about it, and once again welcome back to the neighborhood.

Edit: Wow! My estimate was pretty good.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    One nice thing about using movers is that big, heavy things like your dining room table or piano are less likely to get damaged, and if they are, the company fixes them. Good luck with the GF. It can work. My parents lived over 500 miles apart when they met and dated. They have been married 48 years.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congratulations on the new job.

You'll probably never leave the midwest again.

Congrats on the new job and welcome back to the midwest!

I worked for Bekins Van Lines for 11 years. Call a mover and get a quote. It won't cost anything and, with de-regulation, you might be surprised how reasonable it is, especially if you pack the boxes and leave the heavy lifting to the pros.

If you do some or all of it yourself:

Buy moving boxes made for dishes (dishpaks) and books: they are well-suited to the purpose.

Pack dishes standing on edge and glasses upright. DO NOT lay flat or you will have a bunch of porcelain dust or broken glass when you get to Michigan. Pack the dishpak tight to the top of the box (fill with newsprint if you have to) because you do not want these boxes collapsing.

Try to pack one room at a time -- don't go from room to room looking for something to fit in a box, otherwise you'll be doing a lot of walking when you unpack (and expect unpacking to be miserable).

Mark boxes so you know what goes where when you get to the new place.

By all means, rent moving pads from Uhaul or whomever. They aren't that expensive and they are absolutely essential for your better furniture. Calculate one pad for each medium sized piece (don't forget chairs!), and two for larger ones. If you have a couch that is light colored or you aren't in the mood to re-upholster, figure four to six pads for it.

Load furniture first. Heaviest on the bottom, drawers facing the cab of the truck. Keep these "tiers" as level as possible. Then add medium stuff, like night stands, et cetera, then chairs or other light stuff on top. Use boxes sparingly -- you can always UPS a box if you can't fit it at the end of the day, but an over-stuffed chair is another matter.

Take legs off large tables or you will have more coffee tables than you will ever need.

Pack the truck as tight as possible. When you don't have enough stuff left for another "tier", load your mattresses and tie everything off with straps to hold it all in place. Float whatever is left.

Close and lock the doors. DO NOT open them again until you pull up in front of your new home. (It is bad luck.)

Drive slow and allow much more room to stop. People in cars are idiots around trucks and will do all sorts of things (admire the view...) that will amaze you, so anticipate all scenarios. Most professional truck drivers will also presume you have no idea what you are doing and will generally steer clear of you (I know I did...).

If you have a sleeper sofa, be sure to tie it closed before you pick it up (a belt works fine) because they DO spring open.

Oh, yeah, one important thing. If you do use pros, be sure to tip 'em.

Drop me a line if you have any specific questions I can help you with.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

Re: Moving to Michigan *from Temp

Originally posted by michaelskis
    Does anyone else have any other ideas .....
    OH YES!

Park the truck outside of Belle's Brewery fore me before you unpack and have a six pack

If you havn't been to Belle's Brewery yet, you are in for a treat. May I recomend the "Eccentric Brew" weekend, it has everything from Hippies and goth for the weekend with large parts a mardi graw and German Fasching mixed in! Definatly a GREAT TIME!

Drinking advice is always better than moving advice!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Congrats on the new job!!

I am so glad to see that worked out for you.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I just met with the HR department person, and I found out that I will be here EXACTLY one year to the day.

*and so, I will smile, and wish the warden (the CD director) luck, I will breath the fresh air, burry my feet in the sand at Lake Michigan, and start to remember what the real world is like. It will be a new start, a new job, and a new chance at life.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Congrats, and welcome back to the midwest! And lucky you, you get to move at the most beautiful time of the year.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Congrats on the new job! Your last job sucked, I can come out and say it now

Enjoy it, I've actually heard good things about planning in general in Kalamazoo.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    Congrats on the new job! Your last job sucked, I can come out and say it now

Why wouldn't you say it before... I did
    Last edited by michaelskis; 09 Sep 2003 at 1:34 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow... congrats! It sounds like an awesome opportunity for you!

I can commiserate on the packing... I started this weekend (for our big 5k move ). But packing is packing, and it sucks. And I realized as I've been pulling things off of shelves that I really need to dust more often.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congratulations. Think of me as you pass Irwin, and you get closer to the state line!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Mike, congrats! It's great when you're doing what you want to do, where you want to be.

Now maybe some of the good mojo that got you this job can get me a new one, too. I could sure use a new gig.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Moving to Michigan *from Temp

Originally posted by michaelskis
    Does anyone else have any other ideas on moving tips? I plan on moving out of my place the 19th or 20th.
    If you use the services of a mover, be certain to get at least 3 quotes...believe me, they'll be all over the map.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Moving

I agree with Richmond Jake absolutely get more than one quote.

And I did not intend for my previous post to be an endorsement of any moving company. Every moving company is only as good as the driver and crew that show up at your door: they all have good crews and they all have bad crews.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hell thy name is 'moving'
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 13 Jun 2012, 2:14 PM
  2. Moving??
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38