Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Leni Riefenstahl - Long may she burn in hell!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Leni Riefenstahl - Long may she burn in hell!

BERLIN, Germany -- Photographer and filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl, best known for the Nazi propaganda films "Triumph of the Will" and "Olympia," has died at the age of 101....
    CNN Story

Ever since visiting Nuremburg and Dachau in the 1960's and again in the 1980ís I have been intrigued by the "Nazi Art Movement" of the 30's & 40's (not in an admiring way) I wondered what kind of propaganda it would take to motivate an entire nation to create evil on an industrial scale. One of the most fascinating people, and an amazing survivor, of that period was Leni Riefenstahl.

Leni Riefenstahl produced Triumph of the Will and Olympia. These are the two classic fimographys that pushed the Nazi message across the world. As even some Jewish art professors will tell you, they were stunning works of filmmaking. The visual imagry she created was groundbreaking. She had the soul of a great filmmaker. The problem is she pushed the most evil agenda to ever visit mankind. She went to her grave claiming to be innocent and just a simple documentarian.

A few years ago I stumbled across this documentary of her life: The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl (1994). Go to your public library and request to borrow the tape. It was an amazing look into the mind of an un-repentant, yet deeply in denial, Nazi sympathizer. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

May Satan have fun burning her soul.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I cant in good taste say what i think of this person. Just may she have no rest or peace.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

My mom lived under the Nazi jackboot for nearly five full years in occupied Denmark; my uncle was in the Danish resistance. My father was changed forever as a sailor fighting both the Nazis and the Japanese.

When the last Nazi is dead I hope to dance on his grave.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Originally posted by Gedunker

When the last Nazi is dead I hope to dance on his grave. [/B]
    Im with ya, Ill wear a red dress and dance with you!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    The Nazis have to be looked carefully and in touch with the historical context.
    First off, you can not blame the entire country. There were people that were not in favor of the nazis, many of them died in concentration camps, along with the jews. And you can't forget that the great majority of the populace was completely brain washed with the political propaganda. All of the abuses were commited away from the major cities of Germany, in order to hide it from the population. For the brainwashed they were just being deported.

Another very important fact is that due to the Versailles treaty after the first world war, Germany was forced to pay huge amounts of money and was deprived of a way to substain it. There was a huge inflation, and in desperation, people got hooked up with Hitler.

EG mentioned that the stunning visual imagery in her films, this is stranglely similar to the film "Birth of A Nation" by DW Griffith. This film is credited with the development of many modern filmaking techniques such as the feature length, the close up, panning, night filming, etc, however it is probably the most overtly racist film ever made.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is a difficult one. From an artistical standpoint, here work showed a lot of talent. On the other hand, she helped to popularize the people and ideas responsible for some of the most horrible acts committed in the history of humankind.

Skel, I can relate to your concerns that all Germans should not be blamed for the acts of some. As a kid there was a family that would not let their child play with me because I was "German," even though a third generation American. Some of my family were in Germanic parts of Europe during WWI and lost a great deal as a result of that war. WWII was even more devastating to what remained of the extended family, most of whom ended up behind the Iron Curtain and even in Siberia as guests of the Soviets. Even so, I do not think you can use the arguments of historical context or WWI to mitigate Germany's actions. There are examples of Germans such as Adenauer opposing the Nazis, but all too few.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    There is something odd in the german soul. If you think they have changed a lot since the end of the WWII, be careful, its like white racism and has been driven underground so its not there on the surface.

Further, I would put forward that the oddity is NOT a pure strain of evil, but pragmatism and practicality run amok. What the Nazi's did was wrong in every way imaginable but death camps were not thier first solution to eliminating jewish people from Germany (a big stupid mistake on thier part, ignorant, wrong, etc......).
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    EG mentioned that the stunning visual imagery in her films, this is stranglely similar to the film "Birth of A Nation" by DW Griffith. This film is credited with the development of many modern filmaking techniques such as the feature length, the close up, panning, night filming, etc, however it is probably the most overtly racist film ever made.
    Right on.

I watched it in a sociaology class about 15 years ago. Amazing film work, horrifying message.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    On NPR this morning, they played an interview with her from the recent past. It sounded as if she didn't think they were as bad as the implications they manifested.

She may have been one of the brainwashed German masses!

But there should not be much celebration of her actions in life.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    All I can say is, damn, those 100+ years did not show well on her. Hopefully this image comes through. Okay, the image did not show. My personal feelings, hell has a special place for her, right next to her former "boss".

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 2:44 PM
  2. Replies: 66
    Last post: 11 Dec 2007, 9:57 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Aug 2004, 11:30 AM
  4. Is this a sympton of job burn-out?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 Oct 2001, 5:47 PM