Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planner Concerns

Registered
    Jul 2003

Planner Concerns

The issues of environmental justice, displacement, superfund sites, brownfields, and transportation are among my strongest concerns as a Planner. What are your main concerns and why?

What's up?
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I guess I am slowly discovering transportation planning and specifically Bike/Ped/ADA issues are the ones I get most passionate about. Why? Well, I am beginning to understand how we, as a democratic people, use transportation policy decisions to control people.

I would say that property rights is my biggest concern. I have seen an increase in regulation over what people can and can't do with their land. As someone who is often on the other side of the property rights debate in my duities, I am conflicted because I know that a lot of these regulations go way to far.

Also, I am concerned with how eminant domain has gone way past what it was likely envisioned for.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Landscape Architecture and Design of Place is getting my attention more and more.

Brownfields

Economic Development is gearing up big-time too

Concerns

In no particular order:

The upcoming mayoral election;
    Creating street life / vital neighborhoods;
    Urban Design; and,
    The upcoming mayoral election . . .
    Je suis Charlie

My biggest concern tends to be how zoning codes often shaft traditional neighborhoods by attempting to impose suburban standards where they're not appropriate.

Repo man: Eminent domain has gone in a wacky direction. When cities take land from one owner and give to another as "economic development" - that ain't right. Our city might have the honor of performing the last 60s-style "Urban Renewal" program - we condemned an entire neighborhood and turned it into an office park...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by lowlyplanner
    Repo man: Eminent domain has gone in a wacky direction. When cities take land from one owner and give to another as "economic development" - that ain't right. Our city might have the honor of performing the last 60s-style "Urban Renewal" program - we condemned an entire neighborhood and turned it into an office park...
    I mostly agree. Despite your seemingly poor experience, we have a one case where it may be in the public interest.

*hypothetically now*

What about where a property owner lets one key parcel go dilapitated and utilmately stand vacant, be an eyesore, bringing down the entire community's value, image, and self perception? That owner is not only hurting the community by his actions, he is hurting the community by stopping investment and reinvestment by others - a tragic downward spiral has ensued.

I would argue that incases like this it may be in the broader public's interest to turn a specific property over - after just compensation - to a capable entity that can rejuvinate, revitalize, and add value.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My personal interests lie in a couple areas. The first is developing new practices and approaches to integrate economic development into Smart Growth. The second area of interest is in native landscapes in the built environment to enhance both ecological functions and economic value.

Off-topic:
    Within a couple of months I will be issuing an RFP for a downtown building we took through eminent domain. This historic structure dates in part of 1854, and even before a fire in 1998, had many "issues" regarding its use and appearance. A year after the fire, when nothing had been done to address the damage, we began legal proceedings. It took four years, but sometime next year there will be an attractive building and viable business in this key lakefront location across from the city hall. To me at least, that is a legitimate exercise of our authority to take property for private purposes, which is still serving a public purpose.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by lowlyplanner
    My biggest concern tends to be how zoning codes often shaft traditional neighborhoods by attempting to impose suburban standards where they're not appropriate.

Yes, I find that under our codes, it is almost impossible to develop anything other than a beige, cookie-cutter subdivision. Other issues: student housing and neighborhood opposition, trails, and conversion of rural areas.

OT: lowlyplanner, every time I see your name and avatar, it takes me back to my son's toddler days. He adored Lowly and Huckle who are, in fact, the reason he claims broccoli is his favorite veggie! He is 10 now, but I still have several versions of "you" around our house...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My areas of interest include:

Residential Heritage Preservation -not the grand buildings, but the homes of the everyday person, they tell us much more about the past then people think
    Alternative land use regulation - ie performance based planning.
    Demographics and how they impact the first 2 items.
    Recreation Planning, specifically off road bike trails.
    Resource Management and Reclamation - ie gravel pits and quarries.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    1) Rural community development
    2) Low and moderate income housing issues
    3) Public infrastructure
    4) regional comprehensive planning
    5) industrial business retention and expansion
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by SGB
    1) Rural community development
    Oooh, yeah. The whole picture of depopulation, declining markets, demographic change, rural services, agriculture, etc. is fascinating.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Brownfields redevelopment
    Tranportation/Land Use connection
    Urban design's effect on everyday life
    Pro's vs. cons of aesthetic regulations

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    maintaining/revitalizing older neighborhoods while dealing w/displacement. the strip-mallification of the suburbs. decaying inner suburbs with incredibly mixed and usually incompatible land uses. "vinyl villages."
    I don't dream. I plan.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bird concerns
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 13 Dec 2012, 8:10 PM
  2. Childhood aeronautic concerns
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Aug 2012, 8:16 PM
  3. Currency concerns