Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home sweet home....

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

Home sweet home....

Ok, after a long day of meetings... dealing with office reorganization.....I came home to pick up the house a little. I came upstairs from changing over the laundry.. and there were 2 long pieces of grass.... roots and all. Off course I didnt stop to pick them up immediately... because i was carrying a clothes basket. As soon as I put it down.... I here total chaos in the kitchen... pots pans.... and then the cat whizzes by.... and I realize she was chasing something.

So... she was staring at the couch... and with the help of a flashlight.. I discover a very unhappy chipmunk. I got some gloves so I could pick him up and put him outside.. and it ran into the bed room. Well I shut the door and the d@#$$#n chipmunk was running all over the place... over the bed... under the bed... over the clean clothes... climbing up the closet....with me chasing him.

The last I saw of him... he was under the bed and I can't find him. So... here I sit.... on the other side of the house on the computer.... and the cat is now in the room looking for Chippy....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Can we assume Chippy is leaving chocolate jelly beans everywhere as well? Just want to flesh the picture out a bit.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    That's just great... we've got killing kittens, killing racoons and now killing chipmunks?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    And the meaning of "killing chipmunks" would be? My vote would be oral sex. They do eat nuts

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Get a big ass rat trap or small beaver trap. That should do it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I live trap the chipmunks in my yard occasionally. It is best if I not mention in whose yard I release them. :-E I usually set a few kernels of corn in there, and it can take as short as thirty seconds before I have one of the little critters. If you don't have a trap handy, you might manage with a box or trash can.

I have also dealt with squirrels that come in the front door at work in fall. They think my office is a good place to put nuts. There is usually a whole lot of chasing going on. I found the best thing to do is to close the blinds so they don't head for the windows, then herd them through doors, closing them behind me, until they finally figure out where to go.

Good luck, and be sure to have somebody with a video camera taping the whole thing.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    And that was the last we heard from you, I bet there is more to this story! And I can't wait to hear.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    They think my office is a good place to put nuts.
    Too too easy.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Queen B
    And that was the last we heard from you, I bet there is more to this story! And I can't wait to hear.
    Maybe the chipmunk had some friends - with guns, a power saw, some shovels .......

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Well… I left the room… and when I returned I couldn’t find him. After about an hour.. the cat was lurking around the room… but produced no chipmunk. I proceeded to change all the sheets (since he got his filthy paws all over the place) and then decided to vacuum….thinking that would scare him out of his hiding place. Well sure enough.. the vacuum scared him out of the base board radiators…and the little monster started running all over the place again….he ran in the closet.. and you could just see the clothes rattling on the hangers as he scurried through the clothes. Then he sat still…. I went to divide the clothes… and Chippy jumped out towards me.. to the floor and back around the bed. And me....trying to chase him in a room that is only 10X15. Any wounds that the Betty the cat might have inflicted on him...sure as heck weren't slowing him down.

I had him cornered in the baseboard again….got a bucket and thought I could direct him into it. Well…. I used a yard stick to roust him out of the corner.. he scurried. I thought he went into the bucket… and I covered it in a flash. When I peeked in the bucket.. he was gone.

That was the last I saw of Chippy last night. It was about midnight… and I decided to let him sleep in the room… but left the door open so the cats could come in on patrol. I also have a hound dog….. who slept on the floor... but he was no help either.

This morning… no Chippy…. I just hope he doesnt curl up and die. I left the window open...hoping he will escape...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Great tale, tsc!

I think Betty needs some remedial rodent-catching training, though.......
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Betty is actually our best mouser.....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We don't have chipmunks here. Our cats get their jollies chasing lizards that hang on the screen doors and jump into the house from time to time.

Good luck. Hope Chippy made it out alive.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    And the meaning of "killing chipmunks" would be? My vote would be oral sex. They do eat nuts
    We have a winner.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    This reminds me of the time a frog hopped into my apartment. It took nearly a week and a my uncle visiting from out of town to get that thing out.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Planderella
    This reminds me of the time a frog hopped into my apartment. It took nearly a week and a my uncle visiting from out of town to get that thing out.
    Did you try kissing it?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Be thankful it's only a chipmunk. In college I had a large opossum get into the duct work of my house and die there. Took forever to get that dead opossum funk out of the house.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My dad said that when he was young he was taking a bath and he noticed a mouse swimming up to a part of the body where you wouldn't want a mouse to bite you. He jumped out of the tub and killed it with a plunger turning the water red.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    My dad said that when he was young he was taking a bath and he noticed a mouse swimming up to a part of the body where you wouldn't want a mouse to bite you. He jumped out of the tub and killed it with a plunger turning the water red.
    oh my...now mouse killing.....

Registered
    Mar 2003
    This is a great tale.
    Reminds me of a tale my ex tells of a squirrel he found mad in the wood stove one day and trying to get him out. Of course, the squirrel got lose in the house and he and the cat (which was no help at all, just annoyed that he was locked in a room with the stupid squirrel) trying to get it out. Which involved the squirrel climbing up the molding around the windows and then flying at his bald head while he was batting at it with a broom.
    I hope Chippy makes it out ok.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Did you try kissing it?
    How do you think she hooked up with BEK?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Supposedly we have a porcupine that likes to try to build a little home under our deck every year (or so says the current owners). I'm hoping he won't try to do it this fall, because I'd have no idea what to do.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by tsc
    oh my...now mouse killing.....
    Mouse killing - just being horny?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    We had a ground hog get into the house when I was a kid. It ran up the stairs to hide under the old claw foot bath tub. Here is where it gets funny. It took about an hour of coaxing and pushing it with a broom to get it out of the house. It started to run for the field, it made it about 30 feet when the dog caught it, shook it and started eating it, right on the front lawn.

My worst porcupine experience was having to dequill our old bloodhound, Rose. Here ears were pierced and trying to get them out of her jowls was hell.

My favourite porcupine experience was night riding in the woods. We are cruising along with the lights on the bikes and see this thing glowing in a tree, a friend throws a rock at it and knocked it out of the tree.The thing was stunned and looked up at us with its pink eyes. It turned out to be an albino porcupine.

Don't worry about porcs, just whap it with a shovel and be done with it. They are so slow, and blind that they are easy to hunt. If you let it stay, get ready to have to replace tool handles annually, they love salty wood.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite
    Supposedly we have a porcupine that likes to try to build a little home under our deck every year (or so says the current owners). I'm hoping he won't try to do it this fall, because I'd have no idea what to do.
    Porcupine killing would be what?

At Glacier National Park, at the end of some of the popular trails (like Grinnell Glacier) there are pit toilets. Inside there is a warning about porcupines that like to get in. Be careful where you sit, and no, that is not toilet paper.

I am not sure I would worry about them under the porch unless they were damaging things. Porcupines would help to keep away the little rodents.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jan 2008, 11:53 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Oct 2006, 2:09 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Jan 2004, 4:29 PM
  4. Home
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0