Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Work place perks

Registered
    Jul 2003

Work place perks

What perks do you have at your office? We have a coke dispenser and popcorn popper. Oh...we also have a water dispenser...in hot AND cold.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ummm...free parking? other than that nothing
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My bosses keep our kitchen stocked with a plethora of sugary, salty, diet-killing junk food and soft drinks. They love to shop at Sam's so they buy things in bulk. On any given week, we'll have big boxes of Twinkies, cookies, granola bars, big bags of assorted chips, pretzels, popcorn, assorted hard candies, muffins, etc. Sometimes, they'll treat us to lunch by ordering Chinese food or po-boys (sandwiches) and having it delivered to the office. Clients love to come to our offices because we feed them well.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I get free parking, plus a paycheck every two weeks.

Oh yes, and I get to pay union dues even though I'm not a member. (!@#$ union shop rules.)
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Computer wasting time, the ability to work on other items during the work day.

i have been told that I am lucky to be working on more than one occasion, so I guess the pay cheque is a perk.

And dealing with a-holes.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Nothing but water.

But, motor vehicle registration is notorious here compared with other states. Luckily the DMV is across the street (for now) so I can get my ticket and go back to work without sitting there for 3 hours. Other than that I guess a perk is that I can get a tattoo at one of 2 parlors within 1 block of city hall.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Free parking, coffee and water. We get fed pizza or some other food if we stay for night meetings. Otherwise, that's about it.

Other planning perks: I got to do free title searches when I was buying my property.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Hot AND cold bottled water, free parking, lots of post-its, and a plethora of coffee shops within 2 blocks.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Perks? The fact that I still have my job is a perk in and of itself.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Perks?" Ha Ha! Oh, that's funny.

I guess I did get to dig up some flowers from around a house we tore down. They were all of the old garden types - phlox, brown-eyed susans, primrose, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2000

Perks

Coffee, bagels, pizza at staff meetings (once every 3 months), veranda overlooking a pond and periodic glances and visual fondling of the cute receptionist at the "whole health" business down the hall.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Free Coffee (good too), spring water, Lipton Cup o' Soups, Flyers tickets, mortgage discounts, Dell discunts, lotsa pizza, bagels, etc and I'm staying in a $1M+ home with indoor pool overlooking a golf course in sunny FL in January....WOO HOO!
    Last edited by Jeff; 11 Sep 2003 at 2:33 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    mortgage discounts
    Yeah but you probably gotta buy company product from [edit: Mike D's anomymous employer], right? I had that same bennie plus a 20% discount on the house when I was at Fortress Group, but who the hell wants their crap.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Oops, I forgot occasional tickets to Saints and Hornets games (good seats too).
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2000

Tickets !!!!

I forgot occasional KC Royals, theater and movie tickets, compliments of the law firm.

I have a large office...which I guess is a perk. Besides that, nothing at all. This is the most perk-less place i have ever worked. There are two types of workplace that I have been at. One is the place where you go to work, engage in some small talk with co-workers and never do anything with them. There are no perks whatsoever and the small perks that pop up now and again are reserved for the "higher-ups" The other is the place where people like to joke around with each other, go out for drinks or grab dinner before meetings, and invite co-workers over for football games or whatever and perks are spread throughout the organization.

Unfortunatly, I work at the first type.

I guess in the public sector the perks are few and far-between anyways, so it is not a huge deal. It would be nice to be able to attend some ribbon cuttings, grand openings, dinners, tours, etc.
    Last edited by Repo Man; 11 Sep 2003 at 1:22 PM.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    allowed to have a drip coffee maker instead of PERKolator.

really
    1 hour lunch
    leave 1/2 hr early on fridays if you take 1/2 hr lunch
    take sick or vacation time in 1/2 hr increments
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003

Re: Perks

Originally posted by Budgie
    ...periodic glances and visual fondling of the cute receptionist at the "whole health" business down the hall.
    Upon further review, I (and I know Mike D. too) would like more details...my work place is so boring.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    and I'm staying in a $1M+ home with indoor poo overlooking a golf course in sunny FL in January....WOO HOO!
    Let me know how that indoor poo works out for you.

sicko.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I get free water and free parking. My office also has a window with a view of the street so I can see the skirts go by.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    hot and cold water
    free tuition wavers at community college
    ability to walk out of building to grab a cup of coffee at any time
    flex time, 9/10 work week (I work all my hours for 2 weeks in 9 day and get every other Friday off)
    no contributions into health insurance ($1.00 co-pay prescription drug), vision insurance, dental, AFLAC, flex spending
    NYS Pension
    leftovers from meetings...bagels, coffee,,, etc...
    more work than can be accomplished in a day
    view of Macy's and bus stop
    6 X 8 Cube with 2-tone fabric (grey and sage) and contrasting dark green chair.
    chain around neck with ID badge to allow ease of access into overly secured building
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh oh oh... a few times a year I get tickets to football (CFL ) or hockey. That is a definite perk.

I got a bottle of wine and some christmas ornaments (and all the assorted candy/snack baskets we all share) last Christmas.

I also work a 36.5 hour work week (40 hours one week, 32 the next... every other Friday off).

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Work place perks

Originally posted by Planderella
    Oops, I forgot occasional tickets to Saints and Hornets games (good seats too).
    Tickets to the Saints games. Is that a perc or a punishment?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I forgot the leftover thing. Our EA actually orders extra for me to take home. "Poor single guy..."

We have a few work paid staff functions a year, but not as many as we used to and not with the amounts of free booze we used to.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Wow. This is one of the reasons why I'd be hesitant to ever switch into a planning related field.

We have:
    - a full workout facilty (machines, aerobic studio, classes)
    - downtown location w/ free parking (comes in handy for shopping during lunch hour, or free parking for games on the weekends)
    - darn good benefits (pension, 401k match, FSA match, employee stock purchase plan)
    - flex time arrangements, work at home whenever
    - adoption assistance, new parent transition week, new mother rooms
    - awesome tuition reimbursement, for any degree you want (someday I'm thinking urban design)
    - decent pay
    - really nice annual bonuses, depending on company performance, of course!

And some of these perks aren't even comparable to the ones I had when I worked for a big 5 consulting firm....boy am I ever spoiled!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Overcoming work place burnout
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 13 Oct 2009, 3:38 PM
  2. Confidentiality in the work place.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 24 Mar 2006, 11:05 AM
  3. Overcoming work place burnout