Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Zoning excluding Zoning Board of Appeals chairperson

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Zoning excluding Zoning Board of Appeals chairperson

Let me setup this:

Apparently, the Chairperson for the Zoning Board of Appeals that I work with is resigning the position because he/she has to move, but cannot afford another house in the Village (of 50,000), so she/he is moving out of the municipality. But there are areas in the Village that are higher density and relatively cheap, but have a slightly negative social stigma.

Now, is this an example of the effects of zoning's habit of restricting a diverse mix of housing? Or could that just be a spurious correaltion.

It is an interesting irony that the ZBA chair may have been forced to resign because of the zoning, though.

Theorize and Discuss
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

ZBA Chairman/woman/person

We have had people move out of our jurisdiction and thus resign (we even had one who surreptitiously lived outside but stayed on till we caught him/her/scumbag). They always left because of job, retirement and so forth.

The situation you describe sounds peculiar. Reading between the lines there seems to be some sense that this person has other reasons for getting off and out. Do you get that sense?

How tight is your housing market? Is it reasonable that they are unable to find something similar in a like neighborhood?
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We're in northwest metro Chicago, so the housing is overvalued, especially single family detached.

We are mostly SFD, with a couple old rental apt. complex pods and some pretty high density townhouse areas. The apt and townhouse areas are the ones with the negative stigma, and there are other personal dynamics which may be preventing the ZBA chair from being able to afford anything.

The unfortunate thing though is that he/she was a very good board member: well reasoned and capable of controlling the other members.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Aug 2008, 11:14 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 30 Nov 2007, 3:21 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 May 2007, 11:12 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Oct 2000, 2:44 AM
  5. Establishing a Planning and Zoning Board
    Perry's Cantina (archive)