Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Portland - what should I see, planning-wise?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    This Friday the Oregon Chapter of the APA is having a rolling workshop. The announcement is below. It should be a prety good indication of what you might want to take a look at.

How many of you would like to get away from the office Friday? Join us at the OAPA Mobile Workshop for Planners, September 19 (this Friday) 8AM to 5PM.

OK it is supposed to hit 70 Degrees on Friday at the OAPA mobile Workshop so we will have a great day for a bike ride. This year is a bike tour through some of Portland's most scenic areas and tours of the Brewery Blocks, Peal District, Jamison Park, River District, the EcoTrust Building, Oregon Convention Center Addition, the re-designed Ben Franklin Building and the Oaks Bottom. If you want to see what sustainability really is, come look at these examples. Also, this should be a great ride and a good way to meet fellow planners.

You can sign up by calling Pat Zepp at: (503) 657-6087 Registration will be available Friday at the Salmon Street Fountain, located on the waterfront at the intersection of SW Naito Parkway (formerly front Avenue) and Salmon Street.
    BRING YOUR OWN BIKE!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    For a visit to Portland on September 26th I'm tempted to plug the live version of our webcast or regional planning in Portland and LA just posted on the Cyburbia Kiosk but I will restrain myself...

We are just starting to edge up towards the rainy season so while the gorge and the coast are good for the soul rain or shine, unless you are a natural resources planner, with only a weekend to spend I would say start downtown and stay in the city.

Use Pioneer Square as ground zero. Revel in the wise use of public space for a bit in what used to be a multistory parking garage. Thinking along those lines you will be walking distance to the waterfront park that replaced a highway in the 1970s and was just extended to the opposite bank of the river with a pedestrian path. On Saturday look for the huge crafts sale adjacent to the Park under the Burnside Bridge (Saturday Market).

You can hop on the new streetcar downtown which will take you to Powell’s and to the Pearl District where you can revel in the insane prices people will pay for high end condos (Is there a real estate bubble?) in what was a marginal warehouse area just a few years ago. Its a short walk to Portland's small Chinatown and very large Chinese Garden---painfully detailed and authentic. You can also take the streetcar up to the PSU campus where it interects the South Park Blocks. The park blocks themselves are an original land grant by some of the city's founders. Go Saturday morning for a huge faremr's market!

If our downtown retail options don't suit your tastes, the streetcar can also take you up to NW 23rd for some high-end destination retail or hop the #14 Hawthorne bus which can take you from Downtown over to the great Patchouli Way (Hawthorne Boulevard) if you like some tie-dye with your shopping. If its a nice day you might walk a few blocks over from Hawthorne to Belmont and 34th and check out the Belmont Dairy which is a neat adaptive reuse project in a cool neighborhood which I think might have been mentioned in an earlier post. There's lot of good Old Urbanism to see in the arts and crafts homes in these neighborhoods.

Lest I forget the Max, if you don't choose to ride the light rail in from the airport , you ought to make at least one trip. Looking to spot some New Urbanism in action? Going east you might go to Fairview Village which again someone mentioned in an earlier post, going west Orenco Station is also a favorite stop for a taste of TOD. Interested in seeing the UGB. Drive down West Union Road---Intel Plants on one side and high-end nursery products growing on the other.

For an introduction to our region oriented to current policy discussions go to our website---
    http://www.upa.pdx.edu/IMS/home/homeindex.html

Regards,

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Nice post John.

I think we all agree that Portland, the gorge, the coast, the cascades, and the high desert are all worth visiting (and living in , for that matter).

Signed,

Another proud Oregon planner

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Thanks. I've guess I've given that tour a few times. And yes there is a lot to get around to see all over the state. In fact I'm headed with the fam. to Newport next week.

Regards,

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 23 Apr 2013, 11:35 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 Apr 2011, 5:27 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Apr 2010, 4:16 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 12:07 AM