Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Work Place Pranks

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Work Place Pranks

We all know they happen... what are some of your best work place pranks?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We moved a guy's entire office (into another dept's conference room) while he was on vacation; then he had to go find it.

Collected punch-holes from paper for months, put them in a box with a cut-out sliding bottom, hid it in the suspended ceiling over a co-worker's desk, ran a string to an adjoining office, and when she came back from lunch, let 'er rip.

With another planner, took a clipboard and tape measure to the offices of some really anal planners, where we pretended to be measuring so we could move in, then waited for them to run screaming to their supervisor.

The one they did to me: when I was leaving one county, I got a copy of the new employer's comp plan. Couple of my co-workers asked to see it. They inserted a "policy" that led me to believe the citizen from hell also owned property in the new county, and that I would have to deal with him here, too.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Our GIS Tech just moved from an open area to his own office.

He is so happy to have a door, we are planning on removing it when he is away on vacation.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    We moved a guy's entire office (into another dept's conference room) while he was on vacation; then he had to go find it.
    We moved the Director's secretary's entire office - plants, posters and all - to the outer lobby while she was taking a lunch time nap in a conference room. We even hooked up her phone and desktop so she had to work the rest of the day there.

Registered
    May 2003
    Working in the office of a truck terminal, I always get everybody's paycheck first. I take this one guys paycheck and walk out to the loading dock, I tell a forklift driver that it's someone elses and he proceeds to run it over repeatedly. When he finished leaving his mark, I picked it up and said, here's your're check. (We all get direct deposit so it really doesn't matter, we all go back and forth doing this to one another's pay stubs)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We used to have a supervisor that was the recyle freak from hell. So while she was gone we spent the week shredding old files and filled her office with bags of shred from floor to ceiling. I think she had to haul off over 35 bags. And then we took all her recycled paperclips and hook all of them together to make chains and strung them all over the hall.

I always disrupt people with obsessively clean neat desks by changing or turning things.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Hid the coffeepot once. Guaranteed chaos. NOT recommended for Monday mornings.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I taped an employment application for a Sonic fast-food restaurant to the front of a Planning Director's computer, so that it was in plain view.

I wonder how well she's doing flipping burgers now!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by donk

He is so happy to have a door, we are planning on removing it when he is away on vacation.
    Its always good fun to penny lock people in their office.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Everyone in my office is so high strung I think if a prank were pulled the building would implode.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I worked on a job site where the kept the porta-potty on a pallet. When a new guy would come on board, they'd run the forklift behind it and leave the guy 15' up in the air...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Mike D proposed
    Its always good fun to penny lock people in their office.
    The next thing you'll be suggesting is a leaner, another university res favourite.

The funny thing in our office is that we all have doors, but no one ever closes them, except sometimes when they are with a client. Pranks on eachother are fine, but if an outside person is in your office that would not be cool.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    Mike D proposed

Pranks on eachother are fine, but if an outside person is in your office that would not be cool.
    Thats the best time to do it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    One of the best I ever heard was done by my favorite high school history teacher. He got a student to lie on the grass under another teacher's third story window, then called her in the middle of class. Pretending to be from administration, he commented that they had received a complaint of something falling off the roof of the building and asked if she would look out of her window to see if anything had fallen. Apparently she freaked and ran screaming from the room. He used to tell us many great stories like that.

Registered
    Mar 2002

Simple oldies

- Bundle the handset cord of the phone of the coworker of your choice, tie with breadtie. Wait for phone to ring. Enjoy.

- Variation: Cover earpiece of handset liberally with vaseline. Wait for phone to ring. Enjoy.

- Forward phone message from a "Myra Maines" to coworker of your choice. Make sure return phone number is for State Coroner's Office. Hard to enjoy, unless your cube is nearby, but fun nonetheless.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    We had this annoying secretary... that started to buddy buddy with the mayors PR person... another woman. Well... our secretary was into "writing" sappy poetry...even too sappy for Hallmark...

So, we re-wrote a poem of hers. I think it was entitled "My Mother".... but it was really weird...... we changed the title to "My Michelle".. and changing Michelle for "mother" and it sounded more like a lesbian sappy love poem... what is worse... we sent it to Michelle...who got a little ticked. Unbeknowst to us.... she was having an affair with the Mayor's secretary....(another woman) and we touched on a nerve....and didn't think it was a joke...

Ok,,,,what many really care about...The mayors secretary....blond barbie doll,,,, and the PR... was also pretty darn fem.... you never would have guessed it!!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I believe the story goes something like this: ZG actually stole the tracking ball out a planner's mouse one day. He had to come in early to work the next day to finish a report but counldn't. No wonder he has been hell bent on revenge to the entire planning department since he has returned as the director.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    At my first job, they still allowed smoking in the workplace. One morning we hid all the ash trays and all the garbage cans.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    I believe the story goes something like this: ZG actually stole the tracking ball out a planner's mouse one day. He had to come in early to work the next day to finish a report but counldn't. No wonder he has been hell bent on revenge to the entire planning department since he has returned as the director.
    You forgot the one where I was hanging X-mas ornaments around the office and decorated his cube entrance with a pair of blue balls.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    You forgot the one where I was hanging X-mas ornaments around the office and decorated his cube entrance with a pair of blue balls.
    ROTFL

ZG - you rock!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I used to torment the paleo-Conservatie town manager at my last job. Let's see ... hanging up a picture of Lenin in his office to see how long it would take before he noticed it, changing his computer desktop background to images of Hillary Clinton, Michael Moore and the like, and adding browser bookmarks to PETA , Bartcop and so on.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    ZG
    that was nice.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Dan
    I used to torment the paleo-Conservatie town manager at my last job. Let's see ... hanging up a picture of Lenin in his office to see how long it would take before he noticed it, changing his computer desktop background to images of Hillary Clinton, Michael Moore and the like, and adding browser bookmarks to PETA , Bartcop and so on.
    Good stuff.
    I work with one of those as well, and have been looking for a way to annoy him half as much as he annoys me, so I hope you don't mind if I rip off your ideas.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I hate posing one-liners, so I'll add another line.

http://www.stealthdisco.com
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Overcoming work place burnout
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 13 Oct 2009, 2:38 PM
  2. Confidentiality in the work place.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 24 Mar 2006, 10:05 AM
  3. Overcoming work place burnout
    Friday Afternoon Club