Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vancouver Council Okays Residential Sex Trade

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Vancouver Council Okays Residential Sex Trade

Article from today's Globe and Mail

In a surprise move, councillors voted 4-3 to include elements of the sex trade among approved businesses that a person can run from their home in the city's increasingly residential downtown core".
    My fav:

Councillor Tim Louis, another supporter, called the move an experiment. "We will watch and listen. We are open-minded about this."

Registered
    Nov 2002
    But is it legal there? I can zone for drug dealing downtown but it will still be illegal.

"Sex Trade" - nice substitution of words. Its less offensive than "prostitution" and makes it sound like a legitimate service induestry even though its the same thing.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    But is it legal there? I can zone for drug dealing downtown but it will still be illegal.

"Sex Trade" - nice substitution of words. Its less offensive than "prostitution" and makes it sound like a legitimate service induestry even though its the same thing.
    What is the definition of "sex trade" that they are allowing? There are activities included in the sex trade that do not actually involve having sexual contact. Per haps these are what they had in mind.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    They have to give the junkies who have places to legally shoot up a place to earn a living.

There is line in the article stating that keeping a "bawdy house" is a criminal code violation, so I guess you can be a phone sex line worker, but not have "friends" over.

And people in BC wonder why the rest of Canada thinks they are odd.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I once talked to a planning director who was ambushed on the news about prostitution and other illegal activities going on in local strip clubs. The reporter asked him how the planning/zoning dept. could permit such places. He gave the obvious response that zoning doesn't have to forbid every criminal act that could possibly take place within a zone. If you sell drugs out of your record shop its not a zoning issue.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    I once talked to a planning director who was ambushed on the news about prostitution and other illegal activities going on in local strip clubs. The reporter asked him how the planning/zoning dept. could permit such places. He gave the obvious response that zoning doesn't have to forbid every criminal act that could possibly take place within a zone. If you sell drugs out of your record shop its not a zoning issue.
    Actually, given the legal requirements behind regulating S.O.B.'s in the United States, I think that it can be effective argued that the secondary effects of such land uses (such as crime) are zoning issues.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Vancouver
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Sep 2012, 7:20 AM
  2. New to all this, from vancouver
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Feb 2009, 9:16 AM
  3. Replies: 32