Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Isabel

Registered
    Sep 1999

Hurricane Isabel

(Dan) Isabel position graphic inserted.

I checked our Cyburbian locator map, and didn't see any Cybs along the coasts of N and S Carolina, which is where the storm appears to be heading now. Anyone in that area?

We have been a bit nervous here in FL for awhile now, and will keep a close eye on this one.

Registered
    Aug 2001

A few words of advice....

...maybe to Plannergirl and DaveF at this rate...

When a hurricane approaches....

Duck, and cover

When i was a kid living outside DC, hurricane Agnes hit. It wasnt that bad, maybe 80 mph winds at best. I remember my family huddling through it. I cant imagine people trying to ride out a cat. 5 storm

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The only advise I can offer is leave early if it looks like it's coming your way.

A group of about eight of my friends evacuated Charleston for my parents house in the foothills back in when Floyd (also a cat. 5) was threating the Carolina coast. We waited until the Govorner issued a mandetory evacuation order to leave and the normal 4.5 hour drive took some people in our group over 22 hours! The highways were nothing more than parking lots so, using my map nerd skills, I got my car-load on the back roads and made it in a speedy time of 14 hours. No way I'd want to do that again.

One track has Isabelle going up through Virginia and smacking right into DC. I can only imagine that mess.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Hurricane Isabel

Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    We have been a bit nervous here in FL for awhile now, and will keep a close eye on this one.
    I thought hurricanes tended to break down by the time they hit Orlando.

When I worked there, I couldn't leave for tropical storms or prospective hurricanes. I was on call the whole time, ready to be pressed into service as a pseudo-police officer..
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999

Re: Re: Hurricane Isabel

Originally posted by Dan
    I thought hurricanes tended to break down by the time they hit Orlando.

When I worked there, I couldn't leave for tropical storms or prospective hurricanes. I was on call the whole time, ready to be pressed into service as a pseudo-police officer..
    Well, I went thru a couple when I was young, and they were bad. No electric for days, I remember the start of second grade was delayed a week, trees and power lines down on many streets. It was a real mess. FL is so narrow, and has no topography to speak of, so a major storm really has no time to dissipate after crossing the coast. If a category 5 or even 4 hit the coast and came directly here, I imagine the damage would be substantial. I have 30 or so 70- to 100- foot pine trees around my house, so I won't be here, for sure.

Registered
    Dec 2002
    You'll notice on many of the tracking maps there's a black dot entirely obscuring my hometown of Virginia Beach, VA. People keep saying we're "due for one" so I guess we should have seen it coming. Regardless, we haven't seen anything of this magnitude in a generation, if not longer. Even 60 miles inland here in Williamsburg people are getting a little flustered. I'm hoping it starts to weaken if not peel off into the ocean, but I'm definitely worried. Advice is, as always, welcome.

-Ben

I guess it takes major-scale disasters to lure me away from lurking.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by benk928
    Advice is, as always, welcome.

-Ben

I guess it takes major-scale disasters to lure me away from lurking.
    I think it's time for you to call PlannerGirl and Trail Nazi to arrange a hurricane party...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ok guys party at my house! *this means you bring drinks, chain saws and buckets, oh yes and treats for the hounds*

Ive weathered a few nasty 'canes in NC (yes they still cause major hell as far inland as Greensboro) and Im not looking forward to "the mother of all storms".

Georgetown is already getting ready and talking about sandbags etc-major risk of flooding. Old Town Alexandria is in the same boat, much of it is only a couple feet above the river at high tide. A goodly portion of SW DC is fill so they very well may have problems.

I think the big fear is becouse the weather has been SO wet this year and good winds will push trees over pretty easy. I now we have a huge dead Oak in our yard that looks primed to tear through a few homes and cars (i will be parking my car around the other side of the block)

Im the only one out of the 4 room mates thats ever seen a 'cane so this should be fun (One is from Canada, one is from Ky and one is from upper Michigan)

wheeee PARTY!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've got in-laws who live in southern New Jersey. Since he is an assistance fire chief, I know he'll be staying put no matter what.

I'm hoping his wife (my wife's sister) will get the h!@# out of there, if need be. She's got a baby due in early March.
    Last edited by SGB; 15 Sep 2003 at 9:41 AM.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    We dodged this one for a change, but there's still 2 months to go before the season is over. I think Isabel lost some strength but a Category 4 will still cause some very serious damage.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yes, just not fun no matter how strong and this one is SO massive. 74 mph winds extend 85 miles out from the eye.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Being in the Big Easy, you learn very fast that the damage a hurricane can produce is very serious. Thus, if headed your way, please make arrangements to get the hell outta dodge! Category 3, 4, and 5 hurricanes are no joke!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    i agree

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I've been seeing that hurricane commin' for a few days now.. I would have thought it would hit FL... but I ain't no expert...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

Oh Great

Oh Just my luck, according to the weather Channel website (which is almost NEVER right) It will be on top of me as a co-worker and I load a U-Haul, and then I get to drive an hour to stay a day at my GF's (still in Central PA)

Friday Mid day (right on top of central PA!!!)

I just hope that the rain will let up enough to allow me to get everything into the truck.
    Last edited by michaelskis; 15 Sep 2003 at 1:34 PM.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by michaelskis
    Oh Just my luck, according to the weather Channel website (which is almost NEVER right) It will be on top of me as a co-worker and I load a U-Haul, and then I get to drive an hour to stay a day at my GF's (still in Central PA)

Friday Mid day (right on top of central PA!!!)

I just hope that the rain will let up enough to allow me to get everything into the truck.

*My bad.. this should have been in the Hurricane post, can some one move it for me?
    My wife & I helped friends in the Albany, NY area move right in the midst of Tropical Storm Bertha in 1996. Yeah, we got really wet.

Some advice:
    - Double up on moving blankets to cover furnishings and boxes as you load them. Rotate blankets so that some can dry to any extent possible in the truck.
    - Park the truck as close to the buildings as possible. Lawns and sidewalks be damned!
    - Move as fast as you can, but watch your step on slipper surfraces.
    - Tennis sneakers on wet loading ramps suck! Go with a deeper tread sneaker, such as cross-country running shoes.
    - Embrace the fact that you're gonna get soaked. There will be no doubt about it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Originally posted by SGB
    - Park the truck as close to the buildings as possible. Lawns and sidewalks be damned!
    Here is a down fall, I have a series of wooden steps to get up to my building. It is about a full story and a half from the parking lot.

I am going to owe my buddy a full case of beer by the time everything is loaded.
    Trusting a DC politician with your money is like trusting a hungry dog with a raw steak.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    (One is from Canada, one is from Ky and one is from upper Michigan)

wheeee PARTY!
    Where about in Upper Michigan??? I grew up in Escanaba and went to School in Marquette...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    i have no idea but he and his gf went to Michigan state, they are in their late 30's

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Any word on projected inland flooding from the storm surge? I have friends in Richmond, Arlington and even Harrisburg who are worried about flooding in that region.

Registered
    May 2002
    Well, here on Delmarva we are getting ready. Doesn't sound like the bad stuff will be here til quitting time tomorrow and thru the night. Local forecasters are saying anywhere from 6 to 10 inches of rain and steady winds up to 60 mph. Our problem is that there aren't many places that are much higher than the water anyway, so when we get a lot of rain it floods everywhere and streets are very slow to drain. I'm putting my canoe on the porch.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Phillies vs Marlins game for tomorrow just rescheduled to 1:05 pm in case you had tix

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hoping for the best for all you Cyburbians in the path of the storm. Keep us posted on how you are faring (provided, of course, that you have power...).

Registered
    Mar 2002
    tell em to check the WTOP web site

seems to be the best collection of local info

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php

We just got a all hands meeting here at work about the storm and getting stuff ready. Local gov officials tell us to be prepared for 5 days give or take without power. Strong winds should start mid afternoon tomorrow with the rain starting about noon. Winds could easily be 40-60 MPH by tomorrow night and last into Fri morning. Metro buses and Trains will stop running above ground when the winds reach 40 MPH and the bridges will be closing at 60 MPH. I will pass on any other info as I get it if ya want it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    In our neck of the woods (Southern Tier, NY), it looks like we may dodge the severe flooding.

The only question at this point (to be answered by the storm's track) is are we gonna get soaked or merely drenched. At this point wind projects are in the 30 to 60 mph range, with the higher end being primarily gusts.

I don't envy the folks down on the shorelines.

Hey, TSC: This could be a good time to head home for a visit! (After the boat's safely out of the water, that is.)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hurricane Jeanne
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 17 Oct 2004, 9:36 PM
  2. Hurricane Ivan
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 58
    Last post: 01 Oct 2004, 2:17 PM