Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Portland and the growth boundaries

Registered
    Sep 2003

Portland and the growth boundaries

Hi I was wondering if anybody could give me some ideas where to look for info on urban growth boundaries and portland, also with a bit of a twist showing and identifying the chain/structure of the political power that is Oregon, from city to state levels. Ive already looked at the state website and gotten most everything I need from there, curious if anybody had any good reports books, websites, etc that I can look at. Im working on a project studying how UGB's work in Oregon, I had to put the govt. twist in there so I dont have to take a silly class, isnt this a better choice?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    What up E.L.

MSU grad (BSCE '93) & Oregon resident here.

Sounds like you've already checked out http://www.oregon.gov/

Take a look at http://www.lcd.state.or.us/
    and
    http://www.oregonapa.org/

Good luck and play a hand of euchre for me.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Recommended reading list

Impact of UGBs/smart growth policy:

Nelson, Arthur and Rolf Pendall, Casey Dawkins and Gerritt Knapp (2002). The Link Between Growth Management and Affordability: The Academic Evidence. Washington: Brookings. (available on-line at www.brookings.edu)

Downs, Anthony (2002). Have Housing Prices Risen Faster in Portland than Elsewhere? Housing Policy Debate. 13:1,7(26).
    Fischel, William (2002). Comment on Anthony Downs: “Have Housing Prices Risen Faster in Portland than Elsewhere?” Housing Policy Debate. 13:1,43(8).
    (Both available on-line at www.knowledgeplex.org)

Defining/operationalizing density/sprawl
    Lang, Robert (2002). Open Spaces Bounded Places: Does the American West's Arid Landscape Yield Dense Metropolitan Growth? Housing Policy Debate, 13:4, 755 (24).
    Galester G., Hanson R., et al (2001). Wrestling sprawl to the ground: defining and measuring an elusive concept. Housing Policy Debate, 12:4,681(37).
    (Both available on-line at www.knowledgeplex.org)

And three very different takes on the politics:

Fishman, Robert (2000) The Death and Life of American Regional Planning. In Reflections on Regionalism. p107-126. Bruce Katz (Ed.) Washington: Brookings.

Leo, Christopher (1998). Regional Growth Management Regime: The Case of Portland, Oregon. Journal of Urban Affairs. 20:4,363(32).

Lewis, Paul (1996). Shaping Suburbia: How Political Institutions Organize Urban Development. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Dec 2004, 4:18 PM
  2. Growth boundaries
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 04 May 2004, 4:04 AM
  3. Urban growth boundaries
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Apr 2004, 9:23 PM