Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Boston's Emerald Necklace

Registered
    Jul 2002

Boston's Emerald Necklace

On one of the other city discussion boards I frequent there is an ongoing discussion regarding the Back Bay Fens. The gist of the debate is if an historical and celebrated park can actually be a detriment to a city. I would love to hear what the 'pros' think regarding this admittedly amature debate about zoning, planning and urban design. The thread can be found here . The first post is crammed w/ large images but just scroll past that to get to the good stuff.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Well, I'm not as familiar with the area as these people. But I see the emerald necklace as more of an assett than an impediment to growth. I hardly think that poor Boston isn't allowed to exapand because of it.

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998

Hooray for the Yuppies!!

My favorite post:

BostonObserver
    Unregistered User
    (9/23/03 2:25 pm)
    Reply yuppies
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On this forum and in the Boston Globe there is a tendecy to blame "yuppies" for everything. First of all i find the term condecscending.

I lived in Boston in the 70's and 80's and i can assure you the "yuppies" have made Boston a better place.

In those days when I or any of my neightbors needed to deal with the police (muggings breakins car theft) the repsonse was always the same, 'move out of the city'.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Trader Joe's coming to Boston's South End
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 1:48 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Dec 2007, 1:06 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 May 2005, 1:16 PM
  4. Boston's glitzy new Silver Line