Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 37.89%
  • No

59 62.11%
+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Are You a Native......as inspired by the Where Are You From thread.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2005
    I was born in Detroit (Royal Oak, actually). I refuse to live east of the Continental Divide, so there is no chance of me ever being a native.
    "If you love something, let it go."
    What kind of crap is that?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Born in SLC, spent most of my life in SLC (with 4 years in Jackson Hole and 3-4 summers in San Diego). I live a mile from where I grew up.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by steveanne View post
    Born and raised in Rochester, NY (town of Greece).
    Hey, if you are still in here, you likely know all my cousins!

Quote Originally posted by MaineMan View post
    Born & Raised in a small town near the MI / IN / OH line. Now living in Maine. NOT a native.

In order to be considered a native here in Maine, you have to go back like 7 generations or something, and if you move from Aroostook County ("THE County - bigger than Connecticut) to Portland supposedly you get your native-ism revoked by the state. There are lots of kids born here who aren't considered real natives because their parents came 'from away'. So, I am not, nor will I ever be, nor will my children ever be a native of this great state.

Those "from away" are not supposed to get involved with local politics or anything contentious, unless they are ready to have their birthplace held against them. Sometimes one gets the pleasure of being told "Go back to wheah ya come from, and take alla yah big idears withya. We don't do things that way 'round heah, and we ain't intruhsted!".

You'd think a state that is continually griping about losing its young folks and intellectual capital would welcome those of us that want to make it our home! But I'm just bitter.
    ayup, me too - but honey, Washington County is "The County" - actually, there's a cultural war as to which is "The County" - too funny

how did this thread get resurrected? There's some people in here that I miss seeing in these parts - a good read while on a conference call...

Registered
    May 2005
    Native to Michigan. I've moved around in this state too many times to count.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I wasn't raised in the municipality I work for, but I wasn't raised too far from it either.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Nope...born and raised in Oregon. Relocated to South Carolina for four years and came to New Jersey for grad school. I plan on sticking around for a while.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I am a native Georgian, but not a native (metro) Atlantan...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Born and raised Floridian, but went back to my parents roots in the piedmont of NC
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I work in central Indiana about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from were I was born northern Indiana. I am a native Hoosier (even went to IU), and have lived here most of my life, except for the 5 years I spent in Kentucky. To make it worse, my family has been here since the 1880's
    My how things change.... Let's just say that I'm not exactly a native to this part of the county, let alone the state I'm living in. FWIW, there are a fair amount of people here that are from someplace else, so fitting in isn't too much of a problem.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I live 200 miles from where I was born and raised, but my parents and most of my extended family are from Chicago and/or Bureau County, Illinois (about half are still in Chicagoland - the rest wound up in Arizona, California, and Wisconsin. Very few are still in Bureau County, mostly great aunts and their families around Princeton and at the family farm near Malden). Had my parents stayed in Chicagoland 3 years longer than they did, I, too, would have been from Chicago. Instead, my dad dragged my mom 1000 miles S-SW to Dallas and they decided to start having kids, which essentially locked them in DFW (my dad likes it while my mom, still, after 28 years, misses Illinois).

My wife is from Oklahoma and all her family is still there. Her family's been in Oklahoma since the 1889 Land Run.

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Funny thing is, my geneaology indicates that the family was in Indiana in the 1820s, ....
    Further research reveals that they were indeed very close to these here parts (Jefferson Co. [Ind.] and Jennings Co.) from the 1820s through 1864/65. Not 50 miles away from where I've been living these past 22 years by happenstance.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    No, I'm not a native. I've about lived a third of my life in each of three states. For a small town, there are a fair amount of non-natives here. Most would probably extend the definition of native to all Texans. From north of the Red River? They'd call you a yankee here. Even though the Okies I know would call themselves southerners. It is interesting to start a "I'm more Texan than you are" argument down here.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yes, both sides of my family have lived here going back at least four generations. But to be honest that whole 'native' thing doesn't really seem to mean much at all around here. Not like someone would ever bring it up in connection with arguing why one's opinion concerning local matters should mean more than another's.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    No, I'm not a native. I've about lived a third of my life in each of three states. For a small town, there are a fair amount of non-natives here.
    That's fairly accurate of most of Texas, I'd say. DFW and Houston are only just now getting to the point where natives (both long-time natives and people born here of transplant parentage) are taking back the majority. Austin is currently where Dallas was 30-40 years ago in terms of new arrivals, so it'll be interesting to see how Austinites react to losing their native majorities (which I'm pretty sure they've already lost) even further and the metro transforms. The initial reactions have been overwhelmingly negative, which is a trait I've not seen in other metro areas in Texas that experience similar explosions in growth.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I live about 80 miles from where I was born (Buffalo, NY), but only about 40 miles from where I was raised (Gowanda, NY), so I'm a "native". Most of my extended family lives within about 50 miles of Buffalo. I've lived elsewhere, but this is the place where my roots are, so it was important to me to come back.

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 80
    Last post: 11 Nov 2003, 2:34 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Nov 2003, 12:19 PM
  3. A thread inspired by JNL
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Oct 2003, 12:28 AM
  4. Replies: 37