Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: APA "the big tent" of planning is 25 & 100 years old

Registered
    Oct 2001

APA "the big tent" of planning is 25 & 100 years old

Happy 25th Anniversary APA!

On October 1, 2003, APA turned 25, and we’re well on our way to our 100th anniversary in 2009. How will we age so fast?

First, let's celebrate our 25th anniversary as the American Planning Association. On October 1, 1978, APA emerged from the consolidation of two predecessor organizations, the American Institute of Planners and the American Society of Planning Officials. Both memberships and boards had overwhelmingly approved the consolidation earlier in the year and decided to create a single association "...organized exclusively for charitable, educational, literary and scientific purposes to advance the art and science of planning and the activity of planning -- physical, economic and social -- at the local, regional, state and national levels..." Within APA would be a professional institute -- the American Institute of Certified Planners -- that would be responsible for the national certification of professional planners.

This model of a single organization -- a "big tent"* for everyone interested in planning, with an internal institute to advance the interests of the profession -- was a unique model at the time and has attracted great interest from around the world. The planning movement has been well served by APA. We have grown from an organization of 13,000 to more than 33,000 national members; more than 14,000 of us are certified planners. We'll be celebrating all year, and we especially hope that you will join your colleagues at our National Planning Conference in Washington, D.C., next April for the real birthday bash.

Now, how are we about to turn 100? While our two predecessor organizations were incorporated in 1917 and 1934, we actually trace our roots back to 1909 and the first National Conference on City Planning in Washington, D.C. From that and subsequent conferences, the organized planning movement emerged, first through our two predecessor organizations and, since 1978, through APA. So come to Washington to celebrate our 25th anniversary next April but get ready to commemorate our centennial in 2009!

W. Paul Farmer, AICP
    Executive Director

*It goes without saying this does not include conservatives. {EG}
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you) who thought becoming an attorney was a good life choice.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nothing like patting yerself on the back, huh? Sheesh.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think hes pitchin a tent

Centennial? Bull<<<<!
    That's rather disingenuous IMO.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

I am putting ex-lax in the APA's birthday cake!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 1998
    What a crock!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Now tell me again how having a couple of conferences in 1909 means that APA is 100 years old? I wonder if they got nothing for their dues back then, too?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 6:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 11:34 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 11:39 AM