Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Groom's Cake

Registered
    Jul 2003

My Groom's Cake

As you may or may not already know, I'm tying the knot soon. I have an idea of what my groom's cake would be, but I would like to know your ideas.

Thus, would what be a cool groom's cake? Please offer your ideas. What's up?
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Whatever your fiance wants. Even though its your cake, if she does not like it, you will never hear the end of it.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    What is this "Groom's Cake" you speak of? I have never heard of this before...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    My ex husband had a double chocolate cake with the Marine emblem on it. Very small and sweet (in more than one way)
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Okay, having never been married, I have no idea what a groom's cake is. Is it different than the regular wedding cake?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have never heard of this either.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    What is this "Groom's Cake" you speak of? I have never heard of this before...
    Traditionally, the groom has the opportunity to have a cake of his own with catholic ceremonies. Those cakes, which are not traditional wedding cakes, are usually whimsical cakes, i.e., a chocolate cake designed in the shape of a football.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Dude, I have no idea. My wife picked it out. I think it was chocolate and had a big UT VOLS on it written out in orange or something.

But I think a naked lady sculpture cake would whoop ass as a groomís cake!
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Is that the kind of cake that a stripper jumps out of?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I diodn't have one, but here's.....

Everything you wanted to know about the Groom's Cake
    by Deborah Keck
    ForeverWed.com Wedding Expert

Have you ever wondered how the the grooms cake tradition began? It orinated in the South and was meant as a symbol of the couple's sweet life together.

Traditional Cakes

For many years the Groom's cake has served as a type of favor for guests. It was usually a dark fruitcake which was baked in advance, cut up into small squares, and put into little monogrammed boxes. The boxes were given to the guests to take home. The time, labor and cost in doing this ultimately led to the virtual end to this tradition.

Modern Cake Designs

Today the Groom's cake really serves as a way for the Groom to have his own special part of the reception or rehearsal dinner. The cake often hints at some aspect of the Groom's personality. If the Groom loves to play golf, the cake may resemble a golf bag. If the Groom is a race car driver, the cake may resemble a race car. If the Groom loves Michael Jordan, the cake may resemble his basketball jersey...I think you get the picture.

In general, the Groom's cake is often a chocolate cake but may be the groom's favorite flavor. If he just loves carrot cake, make it carrot cake. If he just loves cupcakes more than regular cake, make it cupcakes! There is no limit to the design and there is nothing really traditional about it.

Who Orders?

The Bride usually orders the Groom's cake from the same baker who is providing the wedding cake. Unless the Groom was in on the original decision, the Bride usually keeps the design of the cake a secret until the wedding day.

Some Groom's prefer to order the Groom's cake themselves, keeping it a secret from the Bride. Either way, the Groom's cake can be a fun part of the wedding celebration.

When Do We Display the Cake?

Some couples choose to serve the Groom's cake at the Rehearsal Dinner as a dessert because it is often a "less serious" cake than the wedding cake. Other couples choose to display both the wedding cake and the Groom's cake at the wedding, allowing the Groom's cake to serve as another dessert option. Either way, both are acceptable.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Being ex-catholic, and still attending catholic weddings for family all the time, I have to question if this is a southern thang.

edit: NHP gave me the answer! LOL

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Big Easy King
    Traditionally, the groom has the opportunity to have a cake of his own with catholic ceremonies.
    Hmmm...I guess Mrs. Tranplanner neglected to tell me about this.

EDIT:
    For many years the Groom's cake has served as a type of favor for guests. It was usually a dark fruitcake which was baked in advance, cut up into small squares, and put into little monogrammed boxes. The boxes were given to the guests to take home. The time, labor and cost in doing this ultimately led to the virtual end to this tradition.
    I guess we were pretty traditional then as this is what we did for our bonbonairies (sp).

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Red Velvet Cake in the shape of an armadillo (w/grey icing)... ala Steel Magnolias.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I didn't know it was a Catholic wedding thing. I've seen it at infidels' and non-believers' weddings as well.

I don't want a silly-ass frou-frou cake. Why can't the bride have something whimsical as well?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    What is this grooms cake you speak of ??

OT
    BTW... this morning I said to my wife "What is this TV program you speak of." Way too much time on here.

Back on topic......

A real grooms cake would be ..... nonexistent.

Real men don't eat cake at their weddings. Real men don't get married.

Once again, I am not a real man.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Planderella
    I didn't know it was a Catholic wedding thing. I've seen it at infidels' and non-believers' weddings as well.

I don't want a silly-ass frou-frou cake. Why can't the bride have something whimsical as well?
    You're right. It's probably a common thing now. Whatever you want, my dear.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The future Mrs. Biscuit has been hounding me to pick out something for a grooms cake. I don't know what I would have put on there. I do like Huston's idea of a naked woman although, I don't think that would fly with the family. One thing we have decided is to serve it as desert at the rehearsal dinner on account of of the copious amounts of wedding cake that we'll have at the reception.

Maybe I go with something South Carolina themed like a big blue palmetto flag cake. Or maybe I could even have it done in a planner theme with a site plan or CD contract done in icing.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I typically don't like most wedding cakes, as they are usually too rich for my taste. This was true of our own wedding cake.

Consequently, my groom's cake was a carrot cake - one of the few cake types I really like.
    All these years the people said heís actiní like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Planderella
    It's your wedding. Get whatever you want, hon! I don't believe in all that 'traditional' stuff that you HAVE to do... do what you want... it's once in a lifetime! I think you should get five little sheet cakes in different flavours that spell out GRITS!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by nerudite
    It's your wedding. Get whatever you want, hon! I don't believe in all that 'traditional' stuff that you HAVE to do... do what you want... it's once in a lifetime! I think you should get five little sheet cakes in different flavours that spell out GRITS!
    Great idea. She can have whatever she wants.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I diodn't have one, but here's.....

Everything you wanted to know about the Groom's Cake
    by Deborah Keck
    ForeverWed.com Wedding Expert...

Traditional Cakes

For many years the Groom's cake has served as a type of favor for guests. It was usually a dark fruitcake which was baked in advance, cut up into small squares, and put into little monogrammed boxes. The boxes were given to the guests to take home. The time, labor and cost in doing this ultimately led to the virtual end to this tradition. ...
    This is still quite common around here among both Catholics and heathens (like me).

We did not do this at our wedding though. We had one large cake *but not tall and flooofy* and one small cake, both the same kind, which we both picked out because we had been to too many weddings where the cake was gross. It was a light lemony cake. We got the second one in case the larger one wasn't big enough, we ended up using it the next day . Some had it for breakfast and others had some at a barbeque we had (we didn't do the honeymoon thing, we did the house thing). We also saved pieces for some people who weren't at the wedding like a neighbour whose garden we used for photos.

Registered
    Dec 2001

uh, yum.

What James will get if we do the whole big wedding, a hockey cake
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Habanero
    What James will get if we do the whole big wedding, a hockey cake
    Good thing you explained. I thought he was in to figure skating for a second! (sorry gays)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    By the way, future newlyweds, after taking up space in our freezer for a year the leftover cake tasted HORRIBLE.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    By the way, future newlyweds, after taking up space in our freezer for a year the leftover cake tasted HORRIBLE.
    After tasting ours one year after, I decided we should have instead shellaced it right after the wedding and kept it as a paperweight or doorstop.
    All these years the people said heís actiní like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What's your favorite birthday cake?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 04 Nov 2013, 7:17 PM
  2. Cake
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 18 Sep 2012, 3:04 PM