Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Preparing to Reenter the Real World

Preparing to Reenter the Real World

Hi,

Just found this forum -- Great Info!!

Hard to believe but by May I will have my MCRP and have started to think about what is next. The question is not so much what do I want to do but when should I start sending out resumes, what are the differences between working at a public planning agency v a private planning firm, and how to ensure that the job will meet my career objectives.

My husband and I are willing to relocate -- even though we just bought our home here in Baltimore a year ago --- so that opens up the job market quite a bit. My career objectives are to combine my previous community -- economic development experience with my planning studies as a long range planner or planner that works on land - use management and sustainable development initiatives.

Any suggestions on how to go about starting a job search and when the right time to do is? With any luck I will be starting to work by June after crossing the stage on May 18th.

Thanks!

Kathie_We

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    It seems that most private sector firms prefer planners with some type of experience rather than hiring someone straight out of school, but I suppose it depends on the firm. I worked for the city for about 2 1/2 yrs before moving to the private sector. It definitely gave me an edge. Good luck!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Planderella
    ...but I suppose it depends on the firm...
    Yep, my first job out of grad school is my current job, with a private planning firm.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Everybody is looking for a job in June. Start early. Especially in government, the most jobs are advertised in the beginning of the year. That is when the new budget begins. Even if the position is not a new one, many governments will not re-hire until the new year, using salary savings to fund vacation, sick leave, and other liabilities associated with the departing employer. Also, do not pass up the APA conference in Washington DC in 2004. Many jobs are advertised, interviewed, and filled there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 7:08 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 19 Sep 2005, 11:28 PM
  3. Real world expereinces with DPZ
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Jul 2005, 7:18 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Dec 2003, 5:47 PM