Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Kansas City. Missouri - Waldo neighborhood (LONG)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Kansas City. Missouri - Waldo neighborhood (LONG)

Waldo, about four km south of Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, is the Brookside neighborhood's grittier cousin. Waldo's population consists mainly of first time homebuyers, single professional homeowners, and older long-time residents. The commercial district isn't pretty, but it does include a few gems like the 75th Street Brewery.

Larger images are online at http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery .

Note the abandoned streetcar track. The Country Club streetcar line, which ran in a dedicated right-of-way through south Kansas City, was abandoned in 1957.

View of Wornall Avenue businesses from Trolley Track Trail. Leaves something to be desired, doesn't it?

A neighborhood festical that was taking place when I was surveying the neighborhood.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Typical houses in Waldo

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    he...he...he said "fesitcal"

In KC, what neighborhoods are considered conducive to walking? is Waldo one? I got an impression Brookhaven is one of them, is that accuarate? In the Brookhaven pics I saw a grocery store, some eateries, and a few other neccessary shops.In KC, what neighborhoods are considered conducive to walking? is Waldo one? I got an impression Brookhaven is one of them, is that accuarate? In the Brookhaven pics I saw a grocery store, some eateries, and a few other neccessary shops.

Registered
    May 2003
    That dosen't look like that bad of a neighborhood. I'm glad to see a lot of the commercial buildings front the street. Zoning prevents that in most places. The housing is a little bland though.

Also, has there ever been any talk about making those streetcars run again? How much of the system is still in place? If it's just a matter of running catenary, it might be pretty cheap, and would probably be a boon to those commercial districts.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    he...he...he said "fesitcal"
    He he... he said "festical", you said "fesitcal" :-P

Registered
    Feb 2000

Waldo Neighborhood

I glide through the Waldo Neighborhood once every other week, usually on my way to the 75th Street Brewery. Something to note is that the adjacent residential areas do not include multi-family residential areas and mixed use is limited to loft apartments in the older commercial stuctures north of 75th Street. South of 75th street you have redeveloped sites with typical mid-size retail (Eckard Drug). The southeast corner has a wasteland of underutilized parking with a strip center set way back from the road.

There have been preliminary plans draw to reinstall commuter rail where the bikepath runs from Brookside to Waldo.

I notice Dan didn't take any photos of residential areas east of Wornall or south along Wornall.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by JNL
    He he... he said "festical", you said "fesitcal" :-P
    he...he...i ride the short bus

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have never been to KC, but a lot of the residential (and even some of the commercial areas) look a lot like east Sacramento (just east of midtown). I used to love living in an area like this...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Very pleasant neighborhood. And, I'm sure the houses don't cost $400,000 like they would in Califonia

I agree with Nerudite: it looks a lot like East Sacramento.

Given the rapid decline in residential architecture in the United States since 1940, I would hardly consider these neighborhoods "bland." If you want a single family, traditional styled neighborhood, this blows away what is being built in most of North America today. They ain't no brownstones, but they ain't bad.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 06 Sep 2008, 10:07 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Aug 2008, 8:54 PM
  3. Replies: 51
    Last post: 15 Nov 2003, 1:50 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jan 2003, 11:38 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Jan 2003, 11:29 AM