Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The worst designed building you've experienced!

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    whoah.. i've seen so much crappy designed buildings that i can't remember every single one of them..

i dunno what the hell they were thinking about that concrete block

that's just an example, i've seen many others

Registered
    Oct 2001
    An Architect who did gain confidence from the austere concrete buildings of Le Corbusier, was an American Architect named Louis Kahn. See his buildings like the Salk Institute, which manage to use concrete in a way, that the buildings do look like medieval Architecture for the 20c.
    Sorry, but as someone who is not a member of the compounds (Tom Wolfe's hilarious take on modern architecture), I don't like Kahn all that much either.

Check out http://citycomfortsblog.typepad.com/ there is a good discussion and photos of the "masterpiece" at the Salk Institute. I guess it does have a cold, Borgian austerity that some might find appealing, but ...

Registered
    Oct 2003
    The PCL library at the University Of Texas at Austin is terrible. It is difficult to navigate, there are few comfortable places to study, and it is ugly as sin. It smells, too.
    I dreaded going there to get books.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    The ASB building on the BYU campus. X-shaped building in the lower center of photograph.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    All of the pics above look like the have come directly for Le Corbusier nightmare. What was suposed to be a tower to oversee common area turns into a free fire zone of indefensible territory around the tower.

I believe modern architecture larger than human scale takes on a monster appearance because of the economic necessity of creating a grand sized building on the cheap.

In addition to the economic factors, the spaces are laid out as unusable space. It sets of a cascade of effects. Its unusable or unfriendly nature creates a seldom occupied space except for maybe transit through the space. Lack of use leads to further deterioration in defensibility and utility. Repeat ad naseum.

Not just the building needs to be made functional, but also the surrounding spaces. If this occurs, the building will fit into the fabric in spite of any sense of misgiving about it belonging or physical standard of esthetics.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'll continue my rant about the glass palace of the Architecture school here...

Easy access for disabled people? what for? heating? nah.. you see this glass palace will work like a greenhouse... except that we made a huge ventilation shaft on the roof so it's actually an iceberg! Classrooms in three floors only need one staircase right? there's absolutely no chance that in case of an earthquake the only staircase may be obstructed or break apart. Furthermore, the secretary's office is in the second floor, and there is only ONE staircase to go to the first floor without jumping and posibly breaking an ankle against the hard concrete floor. I could go on and on... but in short, the architects that designed the building (the institute and school directors, along with the teachers), were not from Valdivia... (which is true...) The old school was housed on an old german colonial house, for the first years of the schools existance, and architecturally speaking, it is way better than the glass palace popsicle.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    This is the city hall in Troy, NY, built in the late 1960s or early 1970s, I believe.

Ironically, Troy is known for its beautiful architecture. Too bad the city hall does not reflect this.

The original city hall, shown in the picture below, burned down.

From the same era as Troy's current city hall: Co-Op City, a "city within a city" in Bronx, NY:

Based on recent news artlcles, the place is falling apart. Parking garages have been closed, and the buildings are sinking into the former marshland and landfill on which it sits.

Parking garage:

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Best ethics training you've experienced?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Oct 2012, 9:14 AM
  2. Supervisory experienced required
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 28 Jun 2012, 2:01 PM
  3. Replies: 33
    Last post: 21 Nov 2011, 10:10 PM
  4. Experienced planner, what now?
    Replies: 3