Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Regulating motor homes on residential lots

Registered
    Feb 2002

Regulating motor homes on residential lots

Our ordinance states that recreational vehicles have to be parked in the side or rear yard, three feet from the property line. However, the standard side yard 7 feet which isn't really even big enough to drive a motor home to the rear yard, much less allow parking on it.

We also have other regulations in place - you can only have one, it can't be hooked up to utilities or used as a dwelling etc.

Where do other communties allow rec vehicles to be placed on the property? Is allowing them in the side and rear yards sufficient and let the property owners worry about making it work? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Christine

We only regulate that they (1) must be parked on a hard, dustproof surface (eg paved driveway) ; (2), that they not be connected to any water, sewer or electric service unless in a rec. vehicle park; and, (3) that they may only be on site for no more than 180 consecutive days after which they must be moved.

I am the staff member that gets to keep track. I have yet to cite anyone in years and years for not moving one, although I have had complaints. Unfortunately, the clock does not start ticking until I verify that it is on-site. Once I've been there, they tend to "get mobile" pretty quickly.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    This is ours.
    ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLES The following additional requirements shall apply to the parking or storage of recreational vehicles:
    a. Recreational vehicles may be parked or stored inside permitted buildings or outside in such a manner that no part of any such vehicle shall project into any required side or rear yard as established by the ordinance. Provided, further, no part of any such vehicle shall be parked or stored outside in the front yard of the lot other than on the hard surfaced area of the driveway or interior access drive.

b. Not more than two (2) recreational vehicles shall be permitted to be parked or stored in the open on the same building lot at any one time.

c. Parked or stored recreational vehicles shall not be occupied or used for living, sleeping or housekeeping purposes in any Dwelling District.

The no projecting part usually seems to be "solved" by a very tall fence. There's no time limit on storing them, that I can find.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Looks like we all copied from the same By-law.
    Here is ours.

No person within a residential zone, shall store any boat, trailer, recreational vehicle or travel trailer regardless of length in the required front yard of any lot or within 0.5 metres (10 inches) of any side lot line or rear lot line.

No recreational vehicle or travel trailer shall be used as a permanent dwelling.

There is no way we could limit it to a single vehicle. There are multiple examples in the City of properties with a travel trailer (for hunting season), boats and a RV(for good with the family) all located on them. These are on 60' x 100' lots.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Regulating motor homes on residential lots

Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Our ordinance states that recreational vehicles have to be parked in the side or rear yard, three feet from the property line. However, the standard side yard 7 feet which isn't really even big enough to drive a motor home to the rear yard, much less allow parking on it.

[skeptic mode]
    Wow. What are the chances that this dimensional oversight in the code was intentional?
    [/skeptic mode]
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most communities that I've been in seem to believe if it's out of site and not conected on one really cares so I wouldn't be surprised to see that side yards are conviently unable to meet the needs of the ordiance.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 72
    Last post: 27 Aug 2009, 2:43 PM
  2. Uses Regulating used car lots
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Dec 2007, 8:20 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Nov 2007, 1:01 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Nov 2006, 11:23 AM