Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would you do for money? What have you done for money?

     
    Registered
    May 2003

What would you do for money? What have you done for money?

I just agreed to give my neighbor manicures on a regular basis for money. It's pretty out of character for me, but I need the money. As a starving college student I was thinking that I would do just about anything for a buck.

Which brings me to ask all of you- what would you do for a buck? What have you done to earn a little cash that might be considered strange, dangerous, filthy, nasty or just out of character for you?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'd go to Jessie J for regular manicures. I've never had one.

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    slave- you wouldn't get paid though if I gave you manicures, believe me.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Jessie-J
    slave- you wouldn't get paid though if I gave you manicures, believe me.
    Well, having another woman touch my hands would be considered dangerous, in my wife's opinion.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    What would I do for money? My guess is work....
    What have I done for money? Beg...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have volunteered to grow a mullet for $250.00. No takers.

I was at a bachelor party a few weeks ago where someone jumped in the (icky) Milwaukee River for $45

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Working in a restaurant kitchen as a dishwasher was pretty nasty Especially when being screamed at by a pugnacious ex-marine.

Delivering newspapers on a frozen Indiana winter morning was also pretty bad. Especially for pennies per paper.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

What would you do for money? What have you done for money?

I've done a lot of things for money, and not for much money -- painted houses, did land title work, worked in fast-food, cleaned offices, delivered newspapers, been a newspaper reporter, and wrote a handbook for planning board members. A job I got paid little money for but would have paid them to do was weekend cook in a sorority house. Forty or so 20-something women, lovely and fresh out of bed!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Chet
    I have volunteered to grow a mullet for $250.00. No takers.

I was at a bachelor party a few weeks ago where someone jumped in the (icky) Milwaukee River for $45
    oh, that man is cheap!

I've done various things for various amounts of money or beer (okay, when you're floating down a river money doesn't help you buy more beer for the rest of the float).

I once took $20 to kick a man square in the jewels. I would've done it for $10. My sister always used to pay me off so she could skip one class in high school.

But, onto legal things: I was a waitress for a long time. I knew how to work the staff too- I would come in and people would pay me extra to cover their shift that night (once I got $50 for a measly 4 hour shift).
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I high school, I forged notes from parents for $$. Never got caught.

My second summer job was at a spa. My job was to wrap fat women in treated Ace bandages, put them in rubber suits, and into the sauna, to sweat off those couple of inches to fit into that dress for whatever occasion. Wrapping naked fat women is not a fun job, but the money was great.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Sigh-- Astrology, which I am very good at and a friend twisted my arm into doing some work for her for pay and then began referring people to me.

Perhaps I shouldn't mention that here as I never wanted to do this 'professionally' and usually do not even publicly mention that I am at all interested in it. It has such a 'flake' reputation -- and that rep is well-earned by most of the flakes that do this type of work. I used to be a flake but I got over it. I was preparing to dump all my old astrology books -- which had been boxed up and gathering dust in the closet for several moves -- when a couple of friends talked me into helping them out.

Can't we discuss something less embarrassing -- like sex? lol

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess

My second summer job was at a spa. My job was to wrap fat women in treated Ace bandages, put them in rubber suits, and into the sauna, to sweat off those couple of inches to fit into that dress for whatever occasion. Wrapping naked fat women is not a fun job, but the money was great.
    Wouldn't want to eat at McDonald's after that..... It's sounds like a tough love approach to an eating disorder......like when they take "bad" kids to a jail....that scared straight approach.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I had a lot of crappy little jobs in high school & college, just to earn some money: cleaning dorm bathrooms (so bad, I quit); working in the school cafeteria; editing and typing student papers; "hawking" refreshments at outdoor concerts (a great way to see concerts, a lousy way to make money); filing invoices (for two summers!); selling luggage in a department store.

I was never one of those kids who could go to Florida for spring break, because I always needed to work. At least I didn't have to do anything illegal or dangerous for cash.

Registered
    Feb 2003

No fun money stories.

But I did wash dishes one summer after my sophomore year of college. Unskilled labor jobs are hard to come by in small college towns. *sigh*

The next summer I did yard work, i.e. cleared a field where a developer was putting in a subdivision. (this was in the Mississippi heat!).

The next sumer I delivered chicken wings until 2 in morning.

Those 3 jobs made me study my a$$ off, because I never wanted to do unskilled manual labor like that again.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    about 15 yrs ago I made a decision
    that of going to grad school to become a planner
    the other choice was to stay at a ski resort working only for
    seasonal wages as a professional ski patroller -
    what a difference in income, benefits.

reread my Introduce Yourself posting.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ever husked corn? I did. One morning, anyway. It turns out I really didn't feel I needed the money enough to keep doing it.

I once sold plasma, but that was for beer money, so it is all good.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    Ever husked corn? I did. One morning, anyway. It turns out I really didn't feel I needed the money enough to keep doing it.

I considered both of those and rejected them my junior year in college. A year later.... well I'm not sure the statutes of limitations have run out.

Maybe Cardinal will hear the story at our next Alefest, assuming I have not been whacked by budget "issues"

**eye roll**

I had various adventures as a teenager.

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    all these stories bring back memories. A teacher once bet me that I could not get someone to suck my toes. This was at Mardi Gras, mind you. I turned to the guy next to me, and asked him. He AND his friend did it. I had the cleanest feet on Bourbon street!

I used to donate plasma too but I had to stop because I passed out a couple times....

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Cleaned pig pens.
    Dug 10 acres of plant beds byhand.
    Split and stacked wood.

These three taught me the value of an education, and that I did not want to be a field slave for the rest of my life.

In university i "helped" quite a few people with papers. I new the library really well and like doing the sorting and finding of information in the periodic abstracts.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Re: What would you do for money? What have you done for money?

Originally posted by Jessie-J
    As a starving college student I was thinking that I would do just about anything for a buck.
    I can't believe you posted that line here on cyburbia...

One word:

Webcam!

(just kidding)

Stuffing envelopes is about as menial as I've gotten.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have smiled while some one has called me a liar in a public place. I have been yelled at, whined at, cajoled and offered a bribe. I have driven 150km in a driving stormstorm to find that those who lived closer stayed home.

Doesn't everyone want to be a planner???

Registered
    Mar 2002
    oh boy should i even go down this road

lets see i have modeled
    stuffed envelopes
    watched folks dogs/homes (easy cash and stay in SWEET homes)
    someone once offered me 300 bucks for me to put clothes pins on his...bits. I turned him down a lady has limits ya know.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I just rob old ladies at knifepoint whenever I need a little extra cash.

Seriously....

The lowest I (and my roomates) stooped (for $ for a sack) was...

In college since we lived in the fraternity house we weren't allowed to have kegs. So, we goy pallets of cases of cans delivered to the house on the weekend. One Sunday when we were all broke, the couches had been cleaned of all the loose change, we collected all the nasty half drank cans which were all over the house, and took them to the recycling center. Got about $15.00.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by Cardinal

Oh I forgot about that. I did that for a semester. When it got so I liked the pop of the needle entering my vein, I decided it was time to quit. Then I got a job driving buses around Iowa City....now those were good times. Driving the buses for sorority rush formal night was awesome........
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. $35.23 of 'mad money'
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 10 Feb 2012, 9:05 PM
  2. Following the money?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Mar 2008, 12:42 PM