Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What would you do for money? What have you done for money?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    While in undergrad, I sold plasma at least once a week and blood whenever I was physically able to.

I also delivered phone books and was a telemarketer for about a week.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    McDonalds.

Now they pay me to be a beaurocrat.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    In the past, I've sold CD's back to used CD stores. I've parted with some good ones for the cash.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

When I was in high school, I would steal chewing tobacco from a grocery store I worked at and would sell it to guys in my shop class at work.

While in the dorms, I would make fake ids for $10

I have gone to goodwill or thrift stores and resell things like old cameras on e-bay, even though I really didn't need the money.

When my brother was in college, I would buy him and his friends beer and over charge at least a case for myself and about 20 bucks.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 1998
    Originally posted by jmf
    I have smiled while some one has called me a liar in a public place. I have been yelled at, whined at, cajoled and offered a bribe. I have driven 150km in a driving stormstorm to find that those who lived closer stayed home.

Doesn't everyone want to be a planner???

Bing, Bing, Bing!!!!!!!!

We have a winner!

Registered
    Sep 1998
    Delivered phone books

Worked on a sewer pipe crew (installing new storm and sanitary and watermain). We did all the "benching" of the catchbasins/manholes in January in Ontario, canada using hydrolic cement. In order to do this we first had to manually shovel out over a years worth of contaminants first. Note the sewers were not LIVE at the time - thank god.

Built concrete in ground swimming pools i.e. tied rebar and sprayed concrete in the blaring heat of summer.

Pulled/Installed fibre optic wire in a gold processing plant in Pt. Coulbourne, Ontario - had to crawl through old basements, unused underground vaults and had to put up with being searched for stolen gold.

Took at job while at university looking after a "small animal holding" facility in the Zoology Dept. Loads of fun cleaning mice cages!

During a summer while in highschool, I worked at a gasbar during the wekend and worked for a cabinetmaker during the week. Loads of fun, didn't have a singe day off to myself all that summer and didn't even make much money.

I'm sure there were other equally facinating jobs that I've done, but fortunately a brain stem injury has wiped them from what's left of my mind!

On the plus side, I can honestly say I've never had to work in a fast food restaurant - thank god for small miracles.
    Last edited by pandersen; 24 Sep 2003 at 1:58 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    someone once offered me 300 bucks for me to put clothes pins on his...bits. I turned him down a lady has limits ya know.
    Don't you have a penchant for PVC? Would this not be appropriate even if dressed in PVC?

Did custodial work all four years in undergrad school.

Registered
    Jun 2002
    My husband grew up in Raleigh N.C. and worked on a university research farm in highschool. He had to count the number of soybeans in pods. He jokes about being a "bean counter".

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Well, as mentioned in another thread, I've done the carny thing. Not the proudest era of my life, but difinitely one of the most interesting.

I've also worked for a disaster restoration firm. The job entailed, among other things, cleaning up after sewers overflow or just plain blow up, suicides (.357 magnum in the mouth...buddy of mine found a piece of jawbone in the closet), and fatal house fires.

Such wonderful memories...I think I'll call my therapist now.

EDIT: As for what I WOULD do for money, well that depends on the amount of money, doesn't it?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Wow, I've never done anything like clean up after suicides, been a carny, sold my plasma, or cleaned up sewers but I have done the usual menial jobs.

Worked on a lake barge the summer after high school. I had returned from Europe had some credit card bills to pay off and got this job through a temp agency. We would putt around a large lake in a big barge and use a front-end-loader to dump rocks on the shore line for erosion control. It was my job to arrange them, by hand, after they were dumped and I did that for 12 hours a day in the sweltering summer heat. On the upside, I did end the summer with a killer tan.

I also worked at a couple of Applebee's over a years time. One was in Seneca, SC where Applebees was considered "fine dining" to a lot of people. The tips were really bad to say the least and customers always seemed to want "Raaainch" dressing with everthing. The other was on James Island, SC. It was never busy but it allowed me time at the beach during the day and made me enough money to go out for drinks in the evenings.
    Last edited by biscuit; 24 Sep 2003 at 3:32 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Slave you have missed a lot of my posts haven't you?

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2003
    Dishwasher

Installing and removing insulation in an attic on 90+ degree days

Fast Food Manager

Paper Pusher and Supervisor at Trucking Company (still there)

yet I'm only 20

Glad I only have a couple years of school to go

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I think BiteMeElmo's had the worst.

No money exchanged hands for this but in lue of rent deposit I cleaned out an apartment that had the refridge, full of meat , turned off for over a week. I burned my lungs from all the bleach I used. Looking back, should have taped the door shut and taken it to the dump.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Slave you have missed a lot of my posts haven't you?

My day is not complete unless I read your posts.

My bad, I guess its latex, not pvc.
    Last edited by SlaveToTheGrind; 24 Sep 2003 at 4:51 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Queen B
    I think BiteMeElmo's had the worst.
    Yeah, I get the disaster tour every time we go for a drive. That building over there... that had a sewer back up and I had to vacuum out nasty sludge. Hey, over there... a woman fell asleep in her chair with a cigaratte and we had to clean up her apartment... you could see her outline in the chair where she died...

all kinds of fun stories!

For me: the weirdest thing I think I've done is catch tarantulas and sell them to the local pet store for a few bucks (when I was maybe 13 or 14 y.o.). I think they would re-sell them as some type of mexican tarantula that was sought after, even though they weren't the same species (I think).

Also, a friend of mine went out of town and he gave me $40 to watch his pregnant snake (a rosy boa). It turns out that she had the babies (live birth) when he was gone and I got to clean boa placenta off of hot rocks. When he found out all the crap I had to do, he ended up giving me one of the babies. When it got big enough to eat rats, I ended up giving it away (too brutal to watch the rats get eaten).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    [i]I got to clean boa placenta off of hot rocks[/B]
    I could have gone all day without reading that...now I'm gonna have nightmares.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2003
    By most standards, I've had a pretty easy job life.

15 years in the Bike Industry(both shops and industry side).

Bagel/Coffee pusher for a while.

MTB Tour Guide for two summers.

Line cook for Two pot hazed summers in the Balck Hills.

And now this internship at a desk watching my belly go from Ok to the classic beer gut. At least the wife is pregnant, she can't complain about it!

A few of these positions held concurrently.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Planderella
    While in undergrad, I sold plasma at least once a week and blood whenever I was physically able to.
    I donate blood regularly but they don't pay you for it, here. The most they will do is pay for a taxi to get you to the donor centre if they are really desperate for your blood...

I've had a few different part-time jobs but nothing really horrible. I worked at a petrol station for a summer which was okay cos I like petrol fumes

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by Planderella

I also delivered phone books and was a telemarketer for about a week.
    Ah yes, forgot my one-night telemarketer stint, selling entertainment books. I had told my folks I was out with a friend (not the one I was with, they hated her). Anyway, about half-way thru the evening (we were in a suite in a hotel), this great cart of munchies showed up. Turns out it was delivered to the wrong room. The real owner showed up and signed autographs for everyone (Troy Donahue, I guess only the other oldies would know this one). Then, at the end of the evening, we rode down in the elevator, and waiting to get on, to go to the rooftop restaurant, my parents! End of job.

Registered
    Aug 2001

almost forgot this one

In college I took a p/t job as a stocker at Toys R Us.

Day 1, was spent in a small cinder block cell they called the training room. For eight hours I watched training videos, then on my way out the door I was frisked by the manager to make sure I did not have malibu barbie in my pocket (I was just happy to see him).

Day 2, I was sent to work without mano-e-mano training. "Duh dude, you SAW the VIDEOS". Eight hours later I was frisked to make sure I didnt have a pogo stick in my pants. Nuff said

Day 3, I called the manager and lied out of my ass and made an excuse why I cant get to work anymore.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. $35.23 of 'mad money'
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 10 Feb 2012, 9:05 PM
  2. Following the money?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Mar 2008, 12:42 PM
  3. Money, Money, Money