Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Nuisance ordinance Vs the environment

Registered
    Aug 2001

Nuisance ordinance Vs the environment

We have a new directive from council to change the nuisance ordiance to only require weed mowing on the areas close to development or to the ROW when a lot is over 1 acre in size. No problem with that.

The problem is that they want it to not include tidal influenced areas but allow us to require it for the whole property or an increased portion of it in the case of known vermin etc.

I've never seen a nuisance ordiance that granted grey areas nor paid much attention to the environment.

So does anyone have an ordiance that excludes environmentally sensitive land? How does one define a tidal enfluenced area? I'm new to the community and new to tide related issues

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Mary asked
    How does one define a tidal enfluenced area?
    Here is how they propose to define a coastal feature in my province.

http://www.gnb.ca/0009/0371/0002/Coastal-E.pdf

To cut down on downloading this document the gist is that within 100 feet of the HHWLT (Higher High Water Large Tide) elevation is considered the coastal area. The HHWLT is a 25 year roaming average that a surveyor is able to locate using Trabnsport Canada data.

Please note, I am in no way saying this is the right way to do it, just providing they way it is proposed here.

The real answer is much like everything, pick a number thaty seems reasonable and ay that is the minimum buffer distance. When this policy started out, the number was 500 m from a coastal feature, now it is 100m from the tide line, big difference. Very different impacts on property owners and the environment.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thank you, This community should get interesting as I swear it's 50% bodies of water. We'll see what happens.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Does your municipality require mowing of private property at intersection sight triangles? If not, something else to consider....
    Last edited by SGB; 06 Oct 2003 at 2:36 PM.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I just reread my post, i am pretty sure I messed the numbers up.

The old proposal was 500 metres (=/-1500 feet) . The new proposal is 30 m (=/- 100 feet).

Sorry
    Last edited by donk; 06 Oct 2003 at 2:45 PM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Those are drastically different numbers. We are probably going to end up with an ordiance that requires mowing on 1 acre + lots of only the 50' closes to development and closest to the road except that it will not be required in tital influence areas but it still can be required if the area is believed to harbor vermin.

I'm not sure I object but I am sure I've not seen an ordiance quite like this before.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Enforcement Nuisance property ordinances
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 12:43 PM
  2. Nuisance trees in Central Texas
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Feb 2009, 10:21 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 13 Nov 2006, 10:51 AM