Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Urban Renewal"

Registered
    Nov 2002

"Urban Renewal"

After hearing "Urban Renewal" used as an evil term for years I was surprised to come across it used by a city in the present tense. Most cities now talk about urban "revitalization" or "redevelopment," but in a document from a small MA city they mention their new "Urban Renewal District." The document mentioned re-use of old buildings etc., so it wasn't a new plan to demolish neighborhoods and build condo towers.

Is the term coming back after years of being politically incorrect?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Personally, I think it's a matter of semantics. The terms are used interchangeably.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Planderella
    Personally, I think it's a matter of semantics. The terms are used interchangeably.
    I agree. The terminology seems like it changes week-to-week in The Big Easy but without a change in its principle, which calls for revitalization and/or redevelopment.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Some statutes written during the heyday of "urban renewal" are still on the books and being actively used for good redevelopment. I wouldn't automatically assume that the term means a particular character of project, or that its use means that it is coming back into vogue. It may simply reference a statutory provision.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM
  2. Urban renewal as "intelligent cities"?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Jan 2011, 10:54 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 May 2008, 12:55 PM
  4. "Urban Renewal"
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Sep 2003, 5:54 PM