Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Amateur Radio Question

Registered
    Sep 2003

Amateur Radio Question

Hey Folks...

Anyone have any experience with dealing with amateur radio operators. I would be particularly interested in anyone who has dealt with amateur radio towers in older town centers. I work with a town with a new resident who wants to install large, retractable tower in his back yard, which is located like 2 or 3 buildings away from the town square. I am particularly interested in way to address the requirements of FCC Order PRB-1, which evidently requires that municipalities provide "reasonable accommodation" to amateur radio operators.

Registered
    May 2002
    I prepared a Wireless Communciation section for the Zoning Ordinance where I used to work about 6 years ago. I don't have a copy of it right now, but I believe that federally licensed amateur radio operators are exempt from local zoning restrictions.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by MD Planner
    I prepared a Wireless Communciation section for the Zoning Ordinance where I used to work about 6 years ago. I don't have a copy of it right now, but I believe that federally licensed amateur radio operators are exempt from local zoning restrictions.
    Correct. PRB-1 is the ruling authority on the subject. You can't deny it, but you can work with the applicant to minimize impacts.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Again, from the code I wrote.

(It's getting a lot of use today.)

310.4 Antenna – radio hobbyist

310.4.2 Definition

Radio hobbyist antenna -- exterior transmitting or receiving device (and supporting structure) used in telecommunications that radiates and captures radio signals on frequencies allotted by the Federal Communications Commission for amateur radio, Citizens Band (CB) and General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) use; or captures radio signals on any frequency as part of a hobby. The term does not apply to roof mounted whip antennas or simple wire antennas not supported by a dedicated antenna tower.

310.4.3 Permitted locations

Radio hobbyist antenna towers ≤50’ (15 m) tall are permitted by right in all zoning districts.

Radio hobbyist antenna towers >50’ (15 m) to 100’ (30 m) tall are considered subject to special review in the C-G and I-G districts.

Retractable radio hobbyist antenna towers >50’ (15 m) tall are considered subject to special review in all zoning districts.

310.4.4 Conditions

Towers must be placed outside the front yard, outside of required setback areas.

Towers must be set back a distance of ≥50% of its height from all property lines, and set back from other on- and off-site towers and supporting structures far enough so one tower does not strike another tower, support structure or overhead utilities if a tower or support structure fails.

Antenna elements must not overhang into any required setbacks.

Only one amateur radio antenna tower is allowed on a property. Where the main use is an amateur radio club, more than one tower is allowed if space and setbacks permit.

Anyone building a radio hobbyist antenna must sign a hold harmless agreement, acknowledging that the Town is not responsible for enforcing any covenants that restrict or prohibit amateur radio towers, and is not responsible for any conflicts with covenants or property owner associations.

All hobby radio operations must conform to FCC rules. Externalities resulting from illegal radio operation (such as using a “dirty” linear amplifier for CB) that affect neighboring properties are considered a zoning violation, and will also be reported to appropriate lawn enforcement and federal government agencies.

My interpretation of "reasonable accomodation" does not extend to residential antenna farms, and esoteric operations involving physically overwhelming facilities, such as huge EME arrays.

If there was a hamfest or short-term contest, I'd look the other way.

N2UGY
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I forgot to post our (brief) mention of ham towers from our ordinances:

H. Non-Commercial Wireless Facility (Amateur Radio) Standards: Towers that solely support amateur radio equipment (“Ham Radio Towers”) and conform to all applicable performance criteria as set forth in Section D, shall be permitted in the rear yard of residentially-zoned parcels. Ham Radio Towers shall be limited to the minimum height that is technically necessary to engage successfully in amateur radio communications.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

No.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    On a practical note...I am divorced from a ham-radio operator. No matter what they say, they will disrupt all t.v. and radio communications for blocks around (even cable). Their yards will look like they are covered with silver spaghetti. It's an obsession. Then they will buy new radios every few months and try to run their spouses into bankruptcy. Their world revolves around sun spots. Did I mention that they tend to be especially dorky? Whoops! Personal opinion leaking thru...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    On a practical note...I am divorced from a ham-radio operator.
    --- .-..

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Dan

No.
    Is it an antenna or modern art sculpture??? a tribute to the wireless age??
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Sep 2003
    Thanks, Dan, for the suggested text... I think I'll use something similar to that... maybe go with special exception or conditional use review in the denser residential districts. I guess we should not interpret "reasonable accommodation" to mean anything goes, eh?

Any other suggested text out there?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    On a practical note...I am divorced from a ham-radio operator. No matter what they say, they will disrupt all t.v. and radio communications for blocks around (even cable). Their yards will look like they are covered with silver spaghetti. It's an obsession. Then they will buy new radios every few months and try to run their spouses into bankruptcy. Their world revolves around sun spots. Did I mention that they tend to be especially dorky? Whoops! Personal opinion leaking thru...

Oh how true that is....you see alot of this in the fire department...antennas, radios, scanners everywhere.

Registered
    Sep 2003
    Originally posted by Dan
    All hobby radio operations must conform to FCC rules. Externalities resulting from illegal radio operation (such as using a “dirty” linear amplifier for CB) that affect neighboring properties are considered a zoning violation, and will also be reported to appropriate lawn enforcement and federal government agencies.[/i]
    [/B]
    What's "lawn enforcement"?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by RobGuru
    What's "lawn enforcement"?

That would be your neighbors in the HOA who walk around with measuring sticks to ensure that your grass being mowed.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Amateur Hours
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Jan 2010, 5:39 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Oct 2009, 9:00 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Sep 2008, 1:03 PM
  4. Is amateur radio dying?
    Friday Afternoon Club