Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: One more reason to live in Canada

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003

One more reason to live in Canada

I know, our smog levels are rising too, but news like this always scares me.

It's a real problem in Louisville, as several major industries are a rubber plant and chemical manufacturer. Air quality concerns me more now that I have kids (my son is mildly asthmatic).

Growing up healthy in the toxic parts of New Jersey, I figured nothing could touch me, but the appropriately named "Ohio Valley Crud" gets me every spring and fall. I wonder how much these manufacturers have to do with it.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    They also measured more methane, which is considered second only to carbon dioxide as a major cause of the greenhouse effect.
    Will they ever learn? The "greenhouse" effect is misnamed, the atmosfere does not behave like a greenhouse... and thanks to this "greenhouse" effect we're able to live, and the earth can have higher temperatures that permit life.

On topic: You should check out Santiago in the winter... yuck..

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Nothing beats Solano County, California, the pollen capital of the world. Never had allergies until I moved out here.

Plus, when the pollen-laden winds do stop blowing, we get an inversion layer or off-shore flow, and the ozone levels skyrocket.

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Will they ever learn? The "greenhouse" effect is misnamed, the atmosfere does not behave like a greenhouse... and thanks to this "greenhouse" effect we're able to live, and the earth can have higher temperatures that permit life.
    Hrmm, who am I going to believe, the world climatology community... or skeleton? That's a tough one...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by jordanb
    Hrmm, who am I going to believe, the world climatology community... or skeleton? That's a tough one...
    I'll vote for Skeleton.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    I'll vote for Skeleton.
    Thanks.. I don't make up these things, I just look for other sources, ones that look more logical. So what's more logical, that the "greenhouse" effect has been with us all along, and mabye we're boosting it up a bit with gasses that come from human activities, or we just created it recently? Another arguing fact: Is this Climate change they warn us about so catastorphic and so "new" or rather a part of a climatological cycle, because I doubt that human activities caused glaciations and deglaciations...

sorry for going off topic

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Originally posted by jordanb
    I vote Skel, too, especially since so much of the "effect" the, er, respected climatologists decry is by their own accounts pre-industrial.

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    see my healthcare rant post.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Thanks.. I don't make up these things, I just look for other sources, ones that look more logical. So what's more logical, that the "greenhouse" effect has been with us all along, and mabye we're boosting it up a bit with gasses that come from human activities, or we just created it recently? Another arguing fact: Is this Climate change they warn us about so catastorphic and so "new" or rather a part of a climatological cycle, because I doubt that human activities caused glaciations and deglaciations...

sorry for going off topic
    Credible empirical analysis is based on a large sample population that is representative of the whole. In the case of global warming, the proponents of the theory are basing their theory on at most a few hundred years of records (some of indeterminant quality) from a small number of sites taken in a specific time frame within the several hundred thousand years of the history of humankind's development. It is an interesting theory, but hardly proven.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Canada Day/Fete du Canada
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 10:04 AM
  2. Another reason FL is going to hell
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 22 Dec 2011, 2:08 PM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last post: 16 Apr 2008, 12:35 PM