Thread: Indianapolis Skyline

BANNED
    Registered
    Apr 2003

Indianapolis Skyline

Here are a few pics from my gallery.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nice pics. WHile looking at them, though I realized that Indy and so many of the cities its size really lack any distinguishing landmarks in their skylines, as there are in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Seattle and other big cities.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Thanks for those. I've been back to Indy twice now since my brother lives and teaches there. My first visit I was truly impressed with the City. Probably one of the best kept secrets in the midwest. The downtown area seems to be on the rebound, the NCAA Hall of Fame, the Museum and IMAX, the 'creek walk' area around the Capital........was truly impressed.

Also, the Broad Ripple area was also great. Bobby Plumps, Bazbeux's, shave ice on the MONON, etc.

great picks of a great place.........except the humidity......
    I wonder if birds know it's Tuesday?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    (ex-Hoosier here) I don't know if I agree, Cardinal. Monument Circle, the capital, etc create some distinctiveness in the skyline.

International style boxes look the same everywhere. Heck, except for a couple of buildings, San Francisco's skyline, as a skyline in isolation, is quite boring. Way too many 70s boxes. (I really like a few of the newer buildings, though.) Of course, you see the skyline from the Bay Bridge, and it looks pretty fine. Indy does not have that advantage (central Indiana is not known for distinctive topography ) But, Indianapolis is overall better administered than many cities (no bizarro left wing politics, no huge encampments of the lost souls like most West Coast cities have).

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    nice pics, although Indy does lack Art Deco scrapers which is common in most Eastern US skylines, it's still a very nice skyline overall

Registered
    Oct 2001

Shine on you crazy diamond....

Did I mention I once worked at the Steak & Shake and Taco Bell at 82nd & Castleton?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Re: Shine on you crazy diamond....

Originally posted by el Guapo
    Did I mention I once worked at the Steak & Shake and Taco Bell at 82nd & Castleton?
    God....I've been to both several times during my college days.....wonder if you were there than (92-97).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Nice pics, but you left out the best part, Monument Circle!!

I love Indy. I had much of my family migrate from the south to Anderson Indiana a few generations ago and most of their children, my cousins, have migrated to Indy. What a fun town. The races, Broad Ripple, ice skating on the Circle, the Circle Mall, and some neat pocket urban neighborhoods.

I have never lived there, but love the city when I visit. I was at a MainStreet conference there a few years back and went to a really cool martini club in a stone basement downtown. Have you been there? I donít remember the name but could find out if you want to know.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The other thing I liked about Indy was the prevalence of brick residential architecture. I find most (not SF-which has a lot of wooden houses) midwestern wooden vernacular neighborhoods somewhat depressing (see the Buffalo thread). Unless they are kept up immaculately, they can look very shabby very quickly (That's why I don't like Seattle very much from a residential architecture standpoint, it looks like a midwestern factory town housing stock.)

I was also very impressed with the Circle Center. Sure it's a mall, and from the sidelines living in a mild west coast climatge, its easily to dismiss it. But, downtown Indy was hopping when I was there at night-and the mall was quite attractively designed in a neo-Victorian vernacular.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Indy just plain rocks.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Re: Shine on you crazy diamond....

Originally posted by NHPlanner
    God....I've been to both several times during my college days.....wonder if you were there than (92-97).
    Nope, the summer of 83. I worked the drive through at both.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Changing the San Francisco skyline
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 14 Jun 2006, 1:15 PM
  2. Skyline Ranking
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 09 May 2005, 11:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Nov 2004, 11:12 AM