Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tasty Local/Regional Foods

Registered
    Dec 1998

Tasty Local/Regional Foods

What are some of the local/regional foods that you enjoy but it will take a certain amount of convincing for those not familiar with the cuisine to eat because of the name or orgin (ingredients)?

For example:

Boiled Crawfish - besides eating the tails, we also like to suck the heads ......all of the flavor is concentrated right there in the juice. Mmm mm good!

Raw oysters - best slammed down with hot sauce, horseradish and an ice cold beer!

Hogs Head Cheese - gelatinous substance, not really a cheese, but best with crackers.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Tasty Local/Regional Foods

Originally posted by Planderella
    Boiled Crawfish - besides eating the tails, we also like to suck the heads ......all of the flavor is concentrated right there in the juice. Mmm mm good!

Raw oysters - best slammed down with hot sauce, horseradish and an ice cold beer!
    Both really good and are perfect with cold beer. However, those oysters should be steamed, never raw...

Being a somewhat new transplant to PA, I'm learning to like the Eastern European "Hunky" food they eat up here.
    Halushki - egg noodles with cabbage and some kind of sauce.
    Halupkies - cabbage leaves stuffed with seasoned beef or sausage
    Perogies - big potato filled pasta. Boiled and smothered in buttter.

No wonder there's so many overweight people in this town.

Wisconsin Favorites:

Around here we have "Cannibal Sandwiches" which are basically raw ground sirloin, onions, and pepper on a small piece of pumpernickel rye. You will find them at just about any Christmas party in the state.

Butter Burgers - Come on Mike D, you know you want one.

I don't like these, but they are also regional foods that people love:

Smelt - basically fried minnows. Yuck

Pickled Herring or Pickled Northern - come in a variety of sauces, none of which can mask the disgusting flavor of vinegar soaked fish.

Not from here, but from Canada...the frequest topic on Cyburbia...Poutine. Fries topped with gravy and cheese curds. Yum!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Lutevisk!~actually kinda good. I don't make a habit of eating it though...

Hotdish~ noodles, meat, tomato sauce, cheese. blaaaand!

Friday Fish fries for Wisconsin. Repo, how can you forget the fish fry???
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    boudoin (pronounced, "boo-dan") balls - combination of seasoned rice and boudoin sausage deep-fried that's enclosed in a ball-shaped, battered shell. Good!

dirty rice - a mixture of seasoned ground beef and rice. Very tasty!

blackened redfish - seasoning and spices added to redfish while on the grill to give it a "blackened" effect. Damn good!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Scrapple .... everything they don't put in the hot dogs.

Registered
    Dec 2003

Hogs Head Cheese - gelatinous substance, not really a cheese, but best with crackers.
    -Get the chainsaw out!
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003

Now that I'm located in Arizona, I sudenly have this craving for seafood...
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most of Wisconsin's signature foods, like beer, bratwurst, and kringles, don't require much persuasion. Cheese does come in many varieties, including some very pungent-smelling ones.* Wisconsin has the only cheese factory in the US that makes Limburger.

Off-topic:
    * Just like the Eskimo are said to have hundreds of names for snow, the French have hundreds of names of cheeses. Yet Mark Twain points out that the French have no word for "soap." Maybe that is why they like the strong cheeses.

Sorry, but I can't pass up an opportunity to take a shot at the French.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    We've talked about these before, but PASTIES!

No, not these pasties....

*these* pasties.... a pastry filled meat and potato meal. Kind of like a pot pie without the sauce. They are all over the UP, and northern MI (and other upper midwest places, I'm sure). Chad and I make our own, and that is actually what we are having for dinner tonight.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    Wisconsin has the only cheese factory in the US that makes Limburger.
    Thanks for being the only one.

Big up here: BBQ buffalo.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I think I'll take the pasties in the top pic. yummy.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002
    A New Zealand specialty is the hangi, which is a traditional Maori method of cooking meat and veges (such as beef, kumara, potato) over warmed stones set in the ground. I've only tried it once I think but it was pretty good.

SW MI, we have pasties here. Yummy! A local bakery does a great bacon and mushroom variety.
    Last edited by nerudite; 17 Nov 2005 at 10:46 AM. Reason: merged

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    No one does a pork tenderloin like a Hoosier. They should be about 1/3" thick, breaded or grilled (breaded is traditional), about the size of a dinner plate, and served on a hamburger bun, preferably egg.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I am sure that Central FL has many tasty seafood specialties (seeing as how we're almost on the east coast), but since I don't eat seafood in any way, shape or form...

Hmmm.... we have fresh orange juice all over the place.

Disney World has those huge smoked turkey legs I see so many tourists devouring. Does that count?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hum.. Chilean foods are quite diverse.. in a more regional perspective, we've got the delicious cousine from Chiloé and bits from the mapuche cousine too.. Also the german cousine brought by the german inmigrants in the mid/late 1800s is wonderful...

One tasty "dish" from Chiloé is the 'Curanto', that's cooked in a hole in the ground, and is mostly seafood. It's steam cooked in a hole, and there is also the modern variant called 'Pulmay' and it is prepared in any common cooking pot.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    seafood specialties
    Oh man, that reminds me of your fried grouper sandwiches and a cold beers. Great eats.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by SkeLeton

One tasty "dish" from Chiloé is the 'Curanto', that's cooked in a hole in the ground, and is mostly seafood. It's steam cooked in a hole
    Sounds very similar to our hangi! Which can have seafood, and is cooked in the ground by steaming/smoking.

One of the places I lived in for a few years is called Paraparaumu, which means used/dirty (parapara) earth ovens (umu).

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Rochester, NY has it's Garbage Plates (mmmmm, grease), meat hot sauce (used just like regular hot sauce, except with meat), and Zweigle's hot dogs (the best hot dogs I've ever had - encased in skin!) Famous beers of the area ---> Genny, Genny Light, JW Dundee's Honey Brown Lager, and Michael Shea's. All brewed in downtown Rochester.

Chicago has it's deep dish pizzas, italian beef, and tamales.

Orlando.... Well, Like Zoning Goddess said... Disney has those turkey legs. And I swear they are not emu. What about churros? Those are pretty famous in Orlando, too.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I can't think of much food local to Arizona, but I can tell you the prickly pear margaritas are the best!

I second the raw oysters in NOLA, they were so big! I swear though, ACME had better oysters than the guy around the corner- theirs were the size of half dollars and Acme's were nearly the size of my palm.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Habanero
    I can't think of much food local to Arizona, but I can tell you the prickly pear margaritas are the best!
    Fry bread and Navajo tacos.

MMM.. Local specialties are my favorite kind of foods... Here are some of my favorites from a few of the places I've lived --

From my hometown region -- White Hots (preferably either Hoffman's or Zweigel's), Salt Potatoes, & Grandma Brown's Baked Beans. White Hots are hot dogs made of pork & veal -- the best! Hoffman's are very skinny and the best Syracuse has to offer. Zweigel's are short, fat, & are the best of Rochester's hot dogs. Salt Potatoes are new (very small) potatoes boiled in lots of salt -- usually served with butter unless you are in my house. Grandma Brown's are not your common baked beans. They have a thick sweet gooey syrup & are best served hot out of the oven with bacon. YUM YUM!!!!

From South Central PA -- Love the PA Dutch cooks -- some of my favorites Chow Chow, Pepper Slaw, Sweet Bologna, Chicken Pot Pie, & Chicken Corn Chowder. Chow Chow is pickled summer vegys. Pepper Slaw is cabage & caraway in a brine. Sweet Bologna is a sweet deli sausage. Chicken Pot Pie is kinda like a chicken stew with large pieces of noodle in a thick broth. Chicken Corn Chowder is Chicken Soup kicked up with corn & a thick broth.

From MD -- Blue Crabs -- of course. Unfortunately they have been over harvested & are hard to come by.

Edit note -- Of course you can get blue crabs just about anywhere here -- but most are from the Carolinas, Texas, or Louisiana not the Chesapeake Bay.
    Last edited by Kathie_WE; 08 Oct 2003 at 11:30 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Kathie beat me to the White Hots. Steveanne forgot Beef on Weck - roast beef served on salty Kimmelweck rolls.

We pick up Webers mustard when we visit Buffalo - best horseradish mustard ever.

And you cannot beat Fish Fry Fridays!!! Especially Beer Battered Haddock Fillets. You'll typically wait at least 45 minutes to get in the door at any fish fry joint on a Lenten Friday.

My favorite Wisconsin local delicacy was deep fried cheese curds. In my prego horomone altered state, I actually had a dream about them last week. sigh.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I think someone already mentioned Poutine....Mmmmmmmm....

Maple Baked Beans

Tourtiere (ground veal and pork pie)

Donuts!!!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Rhode Island

Dynamites (spicier sloppy joes), coffee milk, frozen lemonade, quohaugs (type of clams native to Narragansett Bay) lots of seafood and italian food, and like our Canadian friends - lots and lots of donuts.

Coffee ice cream used to be a local thing but now everyone has it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 13 Oct 2012, 8:38 PM
  2. Local and regional mispronunciations
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 13 Mar 2008, 4:25 PM
  3. Farmers markets/local foods
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1