Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Brick Street Revitalization - Where can I find funding?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Brick Street Revitalization - Where can I find funding?

Greetings Planners,
    I received a call this morning from a local mayor. His community wishes to remove the asphalt they laid upon their courthouse square brick streets a few years ago. Additionally, they would like to repair and refurbish the underlying brick roads. This may be a total of 500 yards of roadway. They are curious if there is some source of funding assistance that might be available. Off of the top of my head I can only guess at the possible available funding sources. Iíve started to do some research, but I thought Iíd also ask our resident professional planners if you knew of any avenues I should explore (bad pun intended).

Iíve already got a call in to our DOT to explore the possibilities of using federal enhancement funds. Iím not very familiar with the Main Street program. Is this something that also might be of value? Is this project possibly eligible for historic preservation funds? Any suggestions for further research will be welcome.

Thank you.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    If TEA is reauthorized next year, there may be funds from the Federal Government for this type of project-particularly if it is part of a more comprehensive program of pedestrian enhancements and community redevelopment.

I'm not sure how the TEA funds are allocated in Kansas, but in the Bay Area of California, our MPO sponsors a competition for projects.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Enhancement funds have been used for those kind of projects. Main Street Programs come with strings that must be investigated. DOT should be able to point you in the proper direction. Do you have an RC&D office near by? Those folks are great at finding money sources.
    ďAs soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fallĒ
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Main Street is concept more than a specific program. Each state handles it differently. Some offer nothing while some offer grants. Others just offer technical assistance.

TEA is also managed differently stat-to-state. It can be used for transportation-related historic projects, but some states have ranked those below other types of projects (Wisconsin, for instance).

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Depending on whom owns the road, it could either be funded by the state DOT, your county highway dept., or you local municipality. I'm not sure if historically status funds could be used but I guess it depends on the state. I'm not sure how the Main st program works either.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    EG -

The Mayor really should know two things before he approaches other funding agencies:

1) How much the total project will cost, and
    2) How much of that total cost the city will pay for.

Most funding sources are gonna tell the mayor to call back with those figures before they will be willing to discuss it further.
    All these years the people said heís actiní like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

eG:
    Main Street usually not a likely source for this sort of funding. Your state's Historic Preservation Officer may be. Contact them for sure.

I am guessing that these are the old Carlyle or Sciotoville Block pavers (9" x 4" x 4", about 9 lbs each). I would suggest checking with local street, sewer and utilities to see if they plan any excavations elsewhere where the muni may be able to pick up some replacements. New pavers will really stand out as too smooth and off-color.

OT: I schlepped 4,000 of these to my house when a flood collapsed a sewer line 14' below grade. I built a walkway from my house to my barn 16" deep, 4'-0" wide 55' long, excavated by hand. It was some stupid hard labor, but the walk looks like it has always been there. Used ones here sell for anywhere from $.50 to $3.00 depending on condition.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2000

Brick vs Asphalt

E.G.:

I know Salina, Kansas replaced some asphalt residential streets with brick. They may have some research and data on long-term maintenance costs of brick versus asphalt. It's my understanding that in the long run, brick streets are more durable and have a traffic calming effect, not to mention ambiance. Call Shawn O'Leary the City Engineer.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    eG,
    You may just have to plan a big trip to Salina for research!!!
    (subliminal)BEER(subliminal)
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Ummm.....brick......beer......Ummmmm......

I'll bet Budgie could tell me where to qauff beer in that fine city.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I have heard tell that folks are pretty friendly in Salina maybe someone would buy you a few!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    Ummm.....brick......beer......Ummmmm......

I'll bet Budgie could tell me where to qauff beer in that fine city.
    My top 5 watering holes:

1. The Groove (70's style disco joint, lots of eye candy).
    2. Tailgators (sports bar)
    3. 6th Street Pub (sports bar)
    4. The Paramount (lotsa locals)
    5. Happy's (Pool hall, can get a little rough)

I volunteer to be your personal pub crawl guide. I'm heading out there this weekend to check on a rental property of mine.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Re: Brick vs Asphalt

Originally posted by Budgie
    E.G.:

I know Salina, Kansas replaced some asphalt residential streets with brick. They may have some research and data on long-term maintenance costs of brick versus asphalt. It's my understanding that in the long run, brick streets are more durable and have a traffic calming effect, not to mention ambiance. Call Shawn O'Leary the City Engineer.
    Brick is good, cobblestone is better, both still need to be maintained. That involves completely digging up the street and relaying all the pavers in newly compacted sand base about every 20 years, this process is no more involved then resurfacing which is done every 8 to 12 years.

Cobble stone will give you a longer life span (real live granite!) brick is cheaper and smaller.

There could be snow removal issues, I have seen brick pavers get kicked up.

As far as restoration, you could include it as a public works proj. or State highway funding, See if it qualifies for state or local tax credits (sell credits to a bank) St. Charles Mo. uncovered the brick streets on its waterfront w/ CDBG money in the late 70's (Jimmy Carter where have gone) 5 years ago they redid the other half of main street w/ replica pavers, they might be a good source.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Delavan, Wiscosnin unburied the brick pavers in its downtown several years ago. They might have some information for you on maintenance and especially snow removal issues.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New plastic brick building
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 2:37 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Oct 2005, 11:19 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 21 Mar 2005, 2:12 PM
  4. Fade to Brick
    Design, Space, and Place