Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planner Eye for the Developer Guy

Registered
    Oct 2001

Planner Eye for the Developer Guy

Shout it our Girls (Said in character). Tell the Developers all the things you can't say to their faces. It has to be constuctive criticism.
    (sorry Bravo)

YES -I know we have done similar threads in the past.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    But be assured that we are listening.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There are more plants in this world than just drawf juniper, potentilla, green ash and pyramidal arbor vitea

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Why does a 1-story Walgreen's have to be 35 feet tall?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If you really want to come into this community as badly as you say youdo then why don't YOU pay for the infrastructure upgrades yourself.

and

Why should you be forced to make your developments fit the areas they're in and look nice? Is there something about an ugly design that you just can't resist?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    If your Engineer were half as good as you think hed get the scale right on plans.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Hire more planners willing to turn to the dark side.

If the meeting is Tuesday night, submitting plans Tuesday afternoon will not do.

Don't blame "the beaurocracy" when your engineer won't provide the corrections we asked for 3 times.

Our regulations are available. Read them.

If you are such an experienced builder why does every approval requirement I mention shock you?

There is nowhere in this town where a 40' tall sign is justified.

Just because we aint no fancy-town doesn't mean we deserve the lowest common denominator, corporate architecture!

You should occassionally come to meetings wearing suspenders, chomping on a big cigar, and talking like a stereotypical Texas developer cause that would be funny.

Registered
    Nov 2002

You pay your engineers how much?

Just because we consistently find problems with your subdivision applications does not mean we will do the design work for you on future submittals.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    When did the bottom of the page become North?

Dont change your orientation with every page.

Having a street name and such information is not only nice its REQUIRED.

no we cant review your plans with only half the number of required plans, AND get it done faster than everyone else.

If you want to get done before everyone else Ill be happy to give you the name and phone number of every other project and they can call me and tell me that they are ok with you cutting in line.

Dont lie to me, I will catch you then we will go over everything you do again with a fine tooth comb-dont make us do that.

My name is NOT "missy" "little honey" or "sweetie" I have a name, use it or just Ma'am.

Leaving 10 messages a day asking if your plan is done will not speed me up, in fact dont you realize it takes up my time to tell you no over and over and over and it cuts into someone elses time?

yes I have said all these things to developers/engineers at my last job-shocking I got letters saying how great my service to the City was from almost all these guys. Guess they figured out kindness gets much father than being asshats.

Yes they said I was the whip cracking planner, funny our plan turn around time was cut in half under my program
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2003
    NO, Please No! Don't you understand the Surveyor is an idiot.

And the same surveyor...
    "What date do you want me to put on this?"

How about today's date you blooming idiot!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    No I don't care how much this is costing you because I know you'll just pass the cost on to your buyer.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Please don't try to tell us that with cheesy stucco box houses that you are selling for $450,000 on land you bought 30 years ag that you can't make a proft because we are aksing you to sell us a neighborhood park site.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    If your Engineer were half as good as you think hed get the scale right on plans.
    The compass, lot size, bearing and distance, street name, owner name, etc.

So tell me, would you want to live in that building in 25 years?

Or...

Considering that building will still be standing in 100 years, what do you think people will think of you then?

The following question was asked of a developer recently..

"Where will your children build their homes if you don't manage how the land is developed?"

Answer: "I am really not concerned about that"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    The deadlines occur every two weeks. They are not appointments. You have two weeks to get in your complete application. Don't wait until the exact second of the cut off time and waltz in with an incomplete application. I will be more than happy to put in writing for you what information is needed, what the fee is, and when it all is due before. No exceptions.

Why do I have to say this to the same people every two weeks?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 9:39 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Jun 2007, 4:43 PM
  3. Planner or developer?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Jun 2007, 5:24 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Jul 2005, 4:24 PM