Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Take one great movie - cut out one bad scene.

Take one great movie - cut out one bad scene.

I’m sure that almost all of us have a favorite movie that has at least one scene that we would like to have edited out. This is especially true after repeated viewings, where we can’t wait for the scene to be over and get on with the great parts of the film.

There have been many movies that I have rated *** ½ stars that have one or two scenes that kept them from being perfect. While the film was still highly recommendable, one wonders what the producers were ultimately thinking by allowing a particular scene to survive the final edit.

SPOILER WARNING!

My pick would be the movie Fearless with Jeff Bridges. A truly remarkable and landmark film about a man who survives a plane crash and for the next few weeks walks around in an almost dreamlike state, thinking he is suddenly immune to everything. He takes crazy chances such as standing on edges of skyscrapers and eating foods that he is allergic too. The film has one of the most unforgettable plane crash sequences ever filmed. A drawn-out, almost surrealistic, sequence – without any explosions or actual crash - that drives home the horror of such an event unlike anything ever seen before on film.

This film would have easily been my #1 film of the 1990s except for one scene: The very ending. If you saw the film you will recall that the Bridges’ character eats a strawberry – that he is deathly allergic too – and starts choking immediately. As his wife is frantically trying to revive him, we cut to a scene of him walking away through a tunnel of light – presumably indicating that he is dying. These two scenes cut back and forth, with his wife hysterically screaming out his name, until he magically wakes up and spits out the strawberry.

This ending was too “Hollywood” for me. How much more appropriate it would have been for the final scene to have him continue walking toward the shaft of light while his wife desparetly, but unsuccessfully, tries to revive him.

I would love to buy the rights to this film and cut out the 30 seconds or so.

So, what scene, of what movie, would you like to edit out or change and why?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Take one great movie - cut out one bad scene.

"The Searchers" - one of the best Westerns ever made and the Duke's best performance - has one flaw. It isn't one scene. It is two or more scenes involving the Duke's son Patrick as a shavetail calvary officer. This cartoonish performance, much of it playing against Ward Bond's preacher/Texas Ranger character, is inappropriate for this dark, character-driven story. This is a flaw of John Ford's Westerns. He always seems to cast some young man inappropriately who sticks out like a sore thumb and detracts from the story. It is bad enough in his lesser picutres, but "The Searchers" was too fine a story and picture to muddle up.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In "Boogie Nights" I'd take out the weiner scene at the end with Dirk Diggler.

Here's another one: Roger and Me

This was one of the greatest "documentaries" at all time - the film the really put Michael Moore on the map. His swipes at corporate America are even more relavent today in this currupt post-Enron world.

However, I didn't like the scene where they killed the rabbit. Here they have this cute fuzzy rabbit and the lady just smashes it in the head. (My wife made me fast foward this scene when we watched it one video). Then they show the rabbit being skinned.

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Here's another one: Roger and Me

However, I didn't like the scene where they killed the rabbit. Here they have this cute fuzzy rabbit and the lady just smashes it in the head. (My wife made me fast foward this scene when we watched it one video). Then they show the rabbit being skinned.
    Off-topic:
    That scene was necessary as a counterpoint with the scene where the black man was shot by police. Anyway, she was doing it to feed herself. You are applying too much late twentith century appropriatness(sp?) to the act.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Originally posted by mendelman
    Off-topic:
    That scene was necessary as a counterpoint with the scene where the black man was shot by police. Anyway, she was doing it to feed herself. You are applying too much late twentith century appropriatness(sp?) to the act.

I understand that she had to feed herself, it's just the graphic nature of the scene that disturbed me, especially since she was holding and petting it just before.

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    I understand that she had to feed herself, it's just the graphic nature of the scene that disturbed me, especially since she was holding and petting it just before.
    And a man being shot on a public street is not graphic?

Moore was using a narrative device to make a point. Yes, she was treating it as if it was a pet, but would you rather eat your pet dog or starve?

Edit: Plus she seemed to be self-sufficient and not relying on handouts, which probably showed her strength in hard times.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Matrix Reloaded...

The scene to cut... the friggin party in Zion... I mean.. COME ON! Couldn't it be a little more boring and long?!?!?! The only reason I didn't fall asleep during that scene, is because of the horrible thumping of the electronic music...

The rest is quite good...

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by mendelman
    Off-topic:
    I thought it was a commentary on how GM treated Flint, MI.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    How about worst scenes put into a classic movie. I can think of all the crap George Lucas put into the Star Wars remakes that just desecrate the originals. Then there's Spielberg who ruined E.T.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The ending scene of the Abyss then the giant UFO rises out of the depths. Good movie, stooopid ending.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Chet- Have you seen the Abyss director's cut of the film with the additional "alien" scenes? Lends some sense to the ending. Doesn't make it a better movie, just adds understanding.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Chet
    The ending scene of the Abyss then the giant UFO rises out of the depths. Good movie, stooopid ending.
    About half the audience in the cinema I saw that film (including me) in were pissed about that ending. What a disappointment!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Matrix Reloaded...

The scene to cut... the friggin party in Zion... I mean.. COME ON! Couldn't it be a little more boring and long?!?!?! The only reason I didn't fall asleep during that scene, is because of the horrible thumping of the electronic music...

The rest is quite good...
    Agreed! Well the bouncing held my attention for a few minutes

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Why did Old Yeller have to DIE??? I could watch the movie again if he'd lived!

Originally posted by SGB
    About half the audience in the cinema I saw that film (including me) in were pissed about that ending. What a disappointment!
    You guys definately need to see the director's cut. It's a totally different movie in my opinion. It adds context to the alien scenes in the original theatrical version which make a whole lot more sense.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The scene of the crime/event
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Sep 2012, 12:59 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Nov 2010, 1:32 PM
  3. A most un-Maine scene
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Apr 2004, 6:49 PM