Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: For those bored today ....

Registered
    Dec 2001

For those bored today ....

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/

Read all about our crooked mayor and the political nightmare going on here in Philly. Very interesting reading if you're into the corruption thing.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: For those bored today ....

Originally posted by Mike D.
    http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/

Read all about our crooked mayor and the political nightmare going on here in Philly. Very interesting reading if you're into the corruption thing.
    Do people in Philly already have a notion of Street as corrupt, or is this a real surprise?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Thats the whole twist to the thing. Those with half a brain know he is crooked. There is a new story every day in the papers about some shady deal or another he's worked out.

Those without half a brain think its just whitey trying to take him down. They are even blaming George Bush and the Republicans now.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yeah, Mike D. tell me what's up with this? All I've heard makes it sound like Street's spinning this as dirty tricks from his "political enemies." I'm not sure if I were him that I'd be advertising a bugged office more by talking about it myself. The whole thing seems weird.

The whole thing does seem a bit odd. And confusing. L

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Some of the more interesting going ons in recent months.

A "no-bid" contract for $12M awarded to the Mayor's brother to perform maintenance work on conveyor belts at the Philly Airport. Problem is, the Mayors bro doesn't do this kind of work, nor does he have a company, or employees.

Over the past 4 years we have had several city "positions" which are just blatant slaps inthe face of all taxpayers. Every friend, contributor, and family member has been hired by Street (including his wife to do some BS non-profit work with an annual salary of $150K).

There is talk behind closed doors of Street supporters (who control the Board of Elections) fixing the election results. No this isn't a 3rd world country, this is Philly.

Street's son and another city managing director (on city time) went to a Katz (the opponent) campaign office and chucked a molotav cocktail inside (it didn't go off).

Street supporters haven't paid parking tix in years (the Parking Authority is now subject of a seperate federal investigation).

I'll think of some of the more juicier tidbits as the day goes on. But this is just a piece of what the feds could be investigating

This guy needs to hit the road.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    A "no-bid" contract for $12M awarded to the Mayor's brother to perform maintenance work on conveyor belts at the Philly Airport. Problem is, the Mayors bro doesn't do this kind of work, nor does he have a company, or employees.
    Over the past 4 years we have had several city "positions" which are just blatant slaps inthe face of all taxpayers. Every friend, contributor, and family member has been hired by Street (including his wife to do some BS non-profit work with an annual salary of $150K).
    -Gee this sounds like where I live. It seems that eveery mayor that gets elected here hires their brother, brother in-law, etc. for jobs they don't know how to do. I know that the city's planning dept. is in for some upheaval do to the fact the new director of strategic planning has stated that he only has 3 planners in his office, while the other 90 positions are non-planning.
    -The county is being investigated by the D.A. because a highway dept. worker has been using county equipment for his contracting business and has used equipment to pave his new driveway. Now the county executive is in hot water. I wouldn't be surprised if the FBI is tracking these guys.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bored at work
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 7:08 PM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 12 Jun 2007, 8:15 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 22 Jun 2005, 7:22 PM
  4. Bored silly