7 41.18%
  • Totally - white shirt and blue suit and tow the line

0 0%
Closed thread

Thread: Idenitfy the "Political Correctness" of your office

Registered
    Aug 2001

Idenitfy the "Political Correctness" of your office

OK folks, we've discussed "left, right, or...." and now I'm dying to know --> How politically correct is your office environment? I've observed that the most conservative planners can be the most un-PC.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Un-PC

I would've chosen "we can cuss, just not at the secretary" but that's who we're usually cursing at so....
    No, really, we all have a great time up at work, lots of laughter-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I voted for "we can cuss, not just at the secretaries", we're a pretty relaxed bunch. My last job, however, it was absolutely nothing for a division manager to comment on how sweet your ass is on any given day. And he was old enough to be my dad. Only a trifle uncomfortable.

Registered
    Oct 2001

My favorite office game....

...planning-pull-my-finger. Not really. But we can have fun.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    First job: general political orientation of the department was was right-leaning. I'll never forget the PD poking the receptionist's ample busom with a pencil, followed by his making a hissing "air escaping" noise. Hispanics and Anglos would casually joke back and forth. Water cooler talk was fairly ribald. The planner in the department that I held in the highest regard, an older Mescalero Apache woman, regularly called me "paleface" as a term of endearment.

Previous job: politically neutral but somewhat left-leaning; a few leftist "everything America does is wrong!" radicals, one hardcore dittohead. Shirts, ties, and very stiff upper lips. Relatively tense. Community was most integrated large city in the United States, and there were frequent ethnic/cultural sensitivity seminars, usualy of the "we must reeducate the evil white man" variety. Water cooler talk focused on home improvement and regional travel.

Current job: extremely Republican co-workers. The environment is very un-PC, with some quirks. Race is a frequent subject of discussion; Southerners and Florida natives with a culturally Southern orientation seem to have no problem with the topic, as opposed to those "up north." Occasional practical jokes. Prayer before all public meetings. The presence of a former hippie on the generally pro-planning Town Commission keeps meetings interesting.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Political Correctness
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 53
    Last post: 06 Feb 2014, 7:40 PM
  2. Office "Cleanliness"
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 53
    Last post: 23 Apr 2008, 9:19 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Jan 2008, 10:42 PM