Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Bad are Your Roads?

Registered
    Dec 2003

How Bad are Your Roads?

Saw this in the Sunday paper and so I was wondering how bad the roads are in your town. Hey Tranplanner, I haven't been to Toronto in a while so I don't really know how bad they are.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...12/1048523.asp

I usually take mass transit, but when I do drive you have to watch out for the potholes and sunken manhole covers on a few of the unkept streets, but if your riding a bike you usually have to watch out for the glass.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Dec 2003

Re: How Bad are Your Roads?

Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Saw this in the Sunday paper and so I was wondering how bad the roads are in your town. Hey Tranplanner, I haven't been to Toronto in a while so I don't really know how bad they are.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...12/1048523.asp

I usually take mass transit, but when I do drive you have to watch out for the potholes and sunken manhole covers on a few of the unkept streets, but if your riding a bike you usually have to watch out for the glass.
    For eveybody's town.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Within the city the roads are quite well, and the main municipal road to Niebla could use a bit of care, but the urgent reparations have already been done.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    How's the mass transit system in Chile?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    You mean the Mess Transit? Here in Valdivia you can see it all, latest model buses and at the same time and even same line, a POS bus from the '60s - '70s. Oh and we also have one line that does like 3 different routes... go figure...

Registered
    Dec 2003
    And I thought it was bad here. It seems like our fleet of trains and busses are still stuck in the late 70's-early 80's, although newer models are being introduced.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Chile barely has trains... the service has been dying out since the mid/late '70s... now it's mainly cargo.

The subway system in Santiago is pretty neat though But the bus system is as bad or even worse than here...

Registered
    Dec 2003
    -Whats the subway system like, and when are you going to Civil War, because I have a sixer of Cream aAle riding on this.
    Also how are the interstate systems connecting to other countries?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Florida has good roads. Thanks ya’ll (for spending your money here).
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Huston
    Florida has good roads. Thanks ya’ll (for spending your money here).
    -Didn't they just defeat that 1/2 penny increase for transit projects and conjestion relief? I like the fact that you can go 70-75 on the highways, good way to thin the elderly crowd (just kidding).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    -Whats the subway system like, and when are you going to Civil War, because I have a sixer of Cream aAle riding on this.
    Also how are the interstate systems connecting to other countries?
    First off, Santiago's subway system is in the process of expansion, the first two lines, are from the early '70s, a third line opened in the late '90s and a fourth line will open in a few more years. The trains that the subway uses are from France (I mean..uh Freedom ) and there are a lot of riders.

Second: I'd be thankfull if you would not mix up Chile, one of the emerging countries of the region, with Bolivia, the country that will probably sink in a civil war (and is one of the poorest of the region)

Transportation systems conecting Chile with other countries aren't very good, they tried to make a rail connection between Chile and Argentina once, but it was abandoned(actually the Argentineans screwed up...) The highways conecting with our neighbors aren't the state of the art, but the best ones are between Chile and Argentina. Even though, there are roads that are only paved on the Chilean side (like the main pass in my region).

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Second: I'd be thankfull if you would not mix up Chile, one of the emerging countries of the region, with Bolivia, the country that will probably sink in a civil war (and is one of the poorest of the region)
    -My bad, I got mixed up in that damn poll you had going, although I know Argentina is a pretty wild country, maybe that explains the road connections.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There was a similar report issued a few weeks ago about roads in the states. In fact, every few years there is a coalition of industry organizations that releases a similar report documenting just how awful the roads are, and how we need to invest billions in rebuilding old ones and adding new ones. [SARCASM] I am quite sure the transportation engineers and road builders who put out these reports are only doing so out of genuine concern for safe and efficient roads, and not for the money they stand to make if their plans are taken seriously. [/SARCASM]

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    I live in pothole central. Maybe that's why everyone here drives an SUV....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Our roads are generally pretty good. We have introduced Performance Specified Maintenance Contracts, which means that the contractor has to maintain the roads to a certain standard, and checks are carried out. If not up to standard, they don't get paid.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    -Didn't they just defeat that 1/2 penny increase for transit projects and conjestion relief? I like the fact that you can go 70-75 on the highways, good way to thin the elderly crowd (just kidding).
    Orange County (Orlando area) did just that. The campaign, of course, was mostly financed by developers and their minions. The only precincts where it received a majority of the votes was in the more affluent areas.

On the other hand, it now takes me 1.5 hrs. on a weekday on I-4 to get home from the south end of town (where I take the occasional class); same drive that takes 32 minutes on a weekend.

I'm in a smaller town north of Orlando (and different county), and our roads are pretty good.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Yeah, the roads aren't that great. But they aren't that bad either. No better or worse than other large cities that have to deal with multiple freeze/thaw cycles.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody else love this project coordination?
    what happens next after a street has just been repaved
    I know we all have seen this
    some utility comes along, makes a cut, puts in a patch,
    and now the road in that spot is no better then it was before.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2003
    Our roads? Our roads are fine! They're great! No siree, no problems here.

That reminds me, what I think would be great would be an automatic paving stone laying machine. Stone roads seem to last forever (at least the ones still around are all really old ), certanly longer than blacktop, at any rate. They're easier to patch than concrete and probably have the same cost for materials considering how expensive concrete is nowdays. They look beautiful, and are good traffic calming devices. The only problem is that the labor costs of installing them is sky high. If there were a machine that could plunk the stones down automatically, though, that would be less of an issue.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    -I'd like to dig a hole in the road and then chuck the girl in the cubicle next to me in it and pave over it after dumping a ton of broken glass into the hole.
    -I swear, how do you get hired at a job when you can't even cut and paste stuff in MS Excell?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    -I swear, how do you get hired at a job when you can't even cut and paste stuff in MS Excell?
    Big boobs?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by biscuit
    Big boobs?
    Your on to something here. She doesn't have big boobs but I think she was hired during the Old man Pervert era. He evntually got fired for sexual harassment.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I just logged about 135 miles in town today for some GIS research. I have to say that everything I saw was new or was in fair shape. Phoenix is still trying to build its way out of congestion and is one sprawling mother though so that accounts for alot of new roads. Worst thing about metropolitan areas is that you can count on road work somewhere.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The DC metro area has a mixed bag of roads, some are great like the GW parkway in Arlington. Others are living hell like M street in G'town, this is where manholes explode gas lines seep into the roads and gobs of people try to make their way around every day. Dont get me started on the steel plates!

The BW parkway seems good but then you get off on 295 and its like a war zone.

shrugs hence why i dont by a nicer car, you tear it the hell up driving and parking here.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    The DC metro area has a mixed bag of roads, some are great like the GW parkway in Arlington. Others are living hell like M street in G'town, this is where manholes explode gas lines seep into the roads and gobs of people try to make their way around every day. Dont get me started on the steel plates!
    The significant other and I were in G'town last October and riding down M Street in her Jeep was the closest I ever come to off roading in an urban area. Steel plate, hole. Steel plate, hole. Steel plate, bottomless pitt... what a mess. It seemed strange because most of the other roads in the area seemed to be in pretty good shape.

The streets here are a complete mess about half the time. Granted most of the ones in the city are in pretty good shape but once you get into the 'burbs htings fo downhill pretty fast. With 130 municipalities in one county, we have streets that can pass through three or four boroughs in less than a mile, meaning that street repair efforts are often less than coordinated

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Scenic Roads
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 17 Sep 2007, 5:43 PM
  2. Ice Roads
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Aug 2007, 10:12 AM
  3. Toll roads?