Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Palais Royal sign

Registered
    Aug 2001

Palais Royal sign

We have a Palais Royal locating here and they want there own normal sign (big surprise I know, no other firm ever does this).

Their sign is of course drastically larger than our ordiance allows. They say it is their smallest sign size.

Has anyone had or seen an experience where this firm has been forced to put in smaller signs. I know McDonalds and some of the others have done it and learned to adjust but I've not heard of it for this group.

Same song different chorus. It would just be nice to be able to say "Well you did it in X community so I'm sure following our sign ordinance should be no problem for you"

Thank you, Mary

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I have a bridge I can sell you..... I don't know Palais Royal, but I have been working in the private sector for many years now trying to sell the same argument, obtain variances, etc. I know some sign ordinances allowing as little as 200SF even for big box retailer. Bottom line: Every client I have worked for exhausts established channel for varaiances. Then they start to work the politicians, with the "we won't be able to come to your city......without our sign, our very bland prototype, our signature architecture....." Depends on your planning staff and politicians as to the outcome. Some politicians/staff are very salty ,put up the fight, and the company makes the choice to stay or go if they can't get what they want.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    They are just crying wolf .... the whole "this is the company requirements" is a load of crap. They will produce all the documents in the world. Communities that are starved for development cave in. If they really want to develop in your community,,, they will conform to your regulations.

I have heard every line in the book too... thank goodness I live and work where planners rule, developers drool
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If Joe Six-Pack told anyone that he needed a 50' tall sign for his laundromat he'd be laughed out of town. I don't see why chain stores should be entitlted to what the average small business can't have. Target might need a giant sign to attract more people from out of town, but the family business needs all the advertising it can get to compete.

That's my opinion. In reality, we are a "please don't go" type of town.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    It's the buisness that has to adapt to town/city regulations, not vice versa... screw them if they don't comply!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've seen the golden arches turned into the turquoise arches in Sedona, AZ. Anything is possible.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    "Corporate requirements" are a self-imposed hardship. DEE-NIED!

Again, referring to the zoning code I wrote, sign size and height variances were prohibited, as well as variances and waivers to accomodate corporate requirements or marketing tradition (i.e. penants and huge American flags at car dealers, tall signs for Cracker Barrel, rotating bank signs, and so on), The only exception is for rotating barber poles at a legitimate barber shop.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Sep 2012, 11:42 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 14 Oct 2011, 10:30 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 4:09 PM
  4. The respectful royal wedding thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 29 Apr 2011, 9:21 PM