Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Curse

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

The Curse

OK....I stayed up until 2:45 AM, watching my favorite baseball team blow yet another play-off game.

I've never been one to believe in the whole "Curse of the Bambino" crap....but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see a World Series in my lifetime......
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It could be worse - try rooting for the Detroit Tigers. At least the Red Sox get to the play-offs.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Alan
    It could be worse - try rooting for the Detroit Tigers. At least the Red Sox get to the play-offs.
    At least you've won a world series in the last 80 years.

Still rooting for a Red Sox - Cubs World Series....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

As much as I would like to see the Cubs or the Sox win the series, I can't help but get a little mad when hardcore Cubs or Red Sox fans whine about not winning a World Series in so many years. As a Milwaukee Brewers fan, I get sick of teams that have unlimited financial resources to improve their payrolls, great fan support, and winning records most years complaining about their lack of World Series rings. Try not having a winning record for over 10 years. Not making a playoff appearance in over 20. See how it feels to finally have a great player (Richie Sexson) only to find out that your crappy team will probably have to trade him away because they cannot afford to keep him. See what it is like to build a new state of the art stadium because the team needs to improve its financial situation, only to find out that the team still can;t compete financially and the team's record has actulally gotten far worse since opening the stadium.

Yeah, cry me a river Cubs and Sox fans because you have it so bad!!
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

I am an exceptionally bummed St. Louis Cardinal fan, disappointed that we couldn't find some way to get it done in a very weak NLCentral.

But I'm with you, NHPlanner -- I would stay awake to watch a Small Bears v. Red Hose World Series, instead of those d**n Yankees and f####n Braves. Blechhh!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Yes, not everyone can be as good as the Braves. Sorry.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2002

Had to call it quits at midnight

But there were a heck of a lotta bleary-eyed folks rolling in here pretty late this morning. What makes it even more depressing is - didn't the Sox pretty much throw their best at them last night, only to lose in 12? Ugh.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Braves

Originally posted by Huston
    Yes, not everyone can be as good as the Braves. Sorry.
    "Sorry" is right.
    I put the Atlanta Braves in the same category as the NY Yankees and Dallas Cowboys. My second favorite team is whomever they are playing at the time.

Don't get me started on Ted Turner, Hanoi Jane and that insipid tomahawk chop.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2003
    ˇViva Los Bravos!

*that is all I will say.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    As much as I would like to see the Cubs or the Sox win the series, I can't help but get a little mad when hardcore Cubs or Red Sox fans whine about not winning a World Series in so many years. As a Milwaukee Brewers fan, I get sick of teams that have unlimited financial resources to improve their payrolls, great fan support, and winning records most years complaining about their lack of World Series rings. Try not having a winning record for over 10 years. Not making a playoff appearance in over 20. See how it feels to finally have a great player (Richie Sexson) only to find out that your crappy team will probably have to trade him away because they cannot afford to keep him. See what it is like to build a new state of the art stadium because the team needs to improve its financial situation, only to find out that the team still can;t compete financially and the team's record has actulally gotten far worse since opening the stadium.

I'm with you on this Repo....baseball's economic system is completely unfair to the smaller market teams.....but I'll still root for the Red Sox regardless of economics....I grew up a fan, and will die a fan, world series or not.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Damn, you win. Even your sausages get beat up.

There's more frustration with Boston though. The Red Sox are rich underdogs. No matter how much they spend, even if they are the best hitting team in baseball, they are always second place to those evil, pinstriped bastards.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Are you sure you're not a Pirates fan.

As for the Braves... I grew up going to both the games in Atlanta and their AA team in Greenville so I am a fan, but that stupid tommyhawk chop always bugged the crap out of me. It ceased being fun after the 50th time in the first inning.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Last night was rough. One loss away.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    It's nice to know that there's at least one other person out there still admitting to being a Tiger fan. I checked out Comerica Park for the first time last week & it was pretty cool - nice to see some long overdue investment in the urban core........which brings me to the Brewers: From what I hear Milwaukee's new stadium is out in the 'burbs or sticks and IMHO that's just bad mojo. My buddies in WI tell me the stadium was built out there so a few good ole boys could make a killing on running private parking lots - tell me it ain't true! Plus, the Brewers are trespassing in the National League - they don't belong there. C'mon, six teams in the NL Central and four in the AL West - that's just wrong. Sorry, Selig family - you can't force rivalries, you have to earn them.

As for the small market gripe - check out the A's - they are competitive year in and year out. And, the Expos- hell, they can't even get 5k fans at their games but they still compete. Also, the M's, although they're not small market by any means, let go of the Unit, A-Rod, Griffey among others for economic reasons and have done quite well for themselves. Baseball is about comradery and investment in the farm teams and the Brew Crew obviously ain't doing it right.

Go Cubbies! (my #2 team)

In closing, yea, the Curse lives on.

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by plankton
    From what I hear Milwaukee's new stadium is out in the 'burbs or sticks and IMHO that's just bad mojo. My buddies in WI tell me the stadium was built out there so a few good ole boys could make a killing on running private parking lots - tell me it ain't true!

It was me understanding that Miller Park (Brewer's Stadium) was built next to to the old Brewer ballpark - County Stadium. Although that location is not in the central downtown business district, it can hardly be categorized as the burbs.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    cubs play red sox in world series; world implodes because one of them has to win
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by JSee
    It was me understanding that Miller Park (Brewer's Stadium) was built next to to the old Brewer ballpark - County Stadium. Although that location is not in the central downtown business district, it can hardly be categorized as the burbs.
    The ballpark is not downtown, but it is certainly in a well-established part of the city, and is next to the old County Stadium (site). The Menomonie Valley has been the industrial heart of the city for over a century. There was some talk of locating the new park closer to the downtown, but this site was more pragmatic. What is dificult to undertand is why the city has fought so ardently against new commercial development surrounding the ballpark. Sure, they want to redevelop industrial uses in the city, but might it not be more practical to go with the higher land uses the ballpark encourages, and find other locations for new industry? There are certainly many parts of the city that might be redeveloped. Why insist that industry has to be the land use here?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We need to all put aside our religious differences in the GOD thread and pray together that the Red Sox pull it off tonight. Zito has never pitched on 3 days rest, and maybe the A's keep blowing their chances for a reason. If the Sox win, then we'll move on sacrificing animals and virgins.

The Cubs hadn't won a playoff series since 1905? Now that's a curse!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    The Cubs hadn't won a playoff series since 1905? Now that's a curse!
    It was 1908. The Cubs beat the New York Giants in a one game division playoff since they were tied at the end of the regular season. The only reason they were tied is because of the "Merkle Boner". If you think Bill Buckner had it bad, research poor Fred Merkle the Giants backup 1st basemen.

I think the trauma Merkle went through was the cause of the Cubs curse. The Cubs went on to win the World Series that year, but the one game playoff against the Giants was one of the most bizarre sporting events in U.S. history. Not because of the game, but because of the hatred and violence of the fans. Fanatical is an understatement. Riots over sporting events in the U.S. is not a recent phenomenon.

The stadium is very close to downtown, less than 5 min by car, but it is near nothing. Some bars and a strip club are nearby, but it is primarily surrounded by a cemetery and a bunch of contaminated land. City of Milwaukee and the Brewers put the stadium in that location because Bud Selig said he would not have a downtown stadium and he would move the team if they couldn't have the stadium where it is. A large percentage of the Brewer’s customers are from outside the Milwaukee City limits and they wanted to make sure they could drive their cars in and out without having to drive into the scary City. . The City actually offered additional funding if they would have put the Stadium downtown but the Brewers wouldn’t budge It will probably prove to be another in a long line of short-sighted decision making in Milwaukee. Given two choices, 9 times out of 10, Milwaukee will make the wrong one.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 1996
    I just realized I'm probably going to miss the 1st game of the Yankees-Sox series.....damn Planning Board meeting!!

Hopefully the Board members will want to go home and see the game and keep the meeting short. :-P Not likely....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm actually going to be in Long Island this weekend, which means I'll be watching the games there. I'm debating whether to get drunk and roudy at local bars with my Red Sox gear.

Would it be unprofessional to have a red "B" tattooed on my forehead? I don't think so.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2002
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    The ballpark is not downtown, but it is certainly in a well-established part of the city, and is next to the old County Stadium (site). The Menomonie Valley has been the industrial heart of the city for over a century. There was some talk of locating the new park closer to the downtown, but this site was more pragmatic. What is dificult to undertand is why the city has fought so ardently against new commercial development surrounding the ballpark. Sure, they want to redevelop industrial uses in the city, but might it not be more practical to go with the higher land uses the ballpark encourages, and find other locations for new industry? There are certainly many parts of the city that might be redeveloped. Why insist that industry has to be the land use here?
    Where else in the city is there abundant land that would be desirable for attracting industrial development, though? Sure, there are places on the Northwest Side being developed/redeveloped as industrial/busines parks, but not all of those locations have the greatest access, at least not the kind that are really beneficial to industrial uses--especially proximity to the freeway system, since most modern-day industries don't really ship by rail anymore. Nor are they always located close to available workforces.

The Menomonee Valley is a good location for industry, not so much because historically that's what was there before, but because it is a great location for industrial uses (directly adjacent to freeways (as well as rail, if there was demand for such access), lots of empty or soon-to-be empty land available, assembled in larger lots, and adjacent potential workforce--the adjacent neighborhoods to the north and south have the highest concentrations of unemployed people in the state). Those are the reasons the City doesn't want to see another strip mall/retail/restaurant/bar district going into the Menomonee Valley.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The curse of (at?) Windows
    Information Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Jan 2005, 3:42 PM
  2. Red Sox vs Yankees & the curse
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 13 Oct 2004, 11:19 AM
  3. Curse on the Cubbies
    Perry's Cantina (archive)