Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New design program found. Sketch-up.

Registered
    Jun 2003

New design program found. Sketch-up.

I recently found this software online. From the looks of it, it may give planners an ideal way to throw up ideas of how things may look. It seems like it'd be MUCH easier to use than any CAD program, or even easier than fudging with photoshop. I suggest watching the tutorial video. I know they make it look REALLY easy, but still, not bad. I could probably catch on pretty quick-like. Go here to see it. Seems like a pretty reasonable cost too. $500 for general business use and if you've got access to a student, its a deal at $90!

an example of what can be done. Opinions? Are there users out there?
    You're more boring than you know.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Is it 3d? The trees definately look 3d....
    A decent architecture firm should have a decent rendering program... like Autodesk's Viz 4... the only problem is that few architecture firms are willing to pay the hefty price.... (Nearly US$2,000 AFAIK)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yes, it is 3D. I'm thinking of downloading the trail version, but I don't have any projects to use it on. Maybe I'll just design my own house? Look on thier forum pages for images of projects that have been completed. Seems impressive to me.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    How easy is this to use if you limited graphic skills, like me?
    I am a wannabe architect.

I am very interested in giving this a try, but I don't think my IS dept. would appreciate me downloading the trial at work
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    It's only a temporary program. A freind did download it, and it does look fairly easy to pick up on after watching him use it. Can't hurt can it? besides, you can easily delet any vestiges of it when the trail is complete.

alot of threads about sketchup at cgarchitect.com

Personally I used the Sketchup trial for a month last May, and being used to many 3D softwares, i would not recommend it to be honest.

I found the software badly written and dodgy.

But don't take my word for it.

I love the ideas and concepts of it - put personally a pro would use something better, which will cost a bit more.

VIZ is around one and a half Gs. Lightwave is too, and is the best modeller by a long, long shot. AutoCAD full edition is expensive but stable and universally used. My pick would be to learn 3D AutoCAD real well.

Download the free surface tools utilities from Jeff Mottle's web site, CG ARchitect.com

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    I've had really great renderings using VIZ 4. It's not hard to learn and is a natural step from AutoCad plans, etc.

We are using this in studio!

Some of the LA and Planning students here at Iowa State are finding this program to be a great time saver to quickly render real world projects. I have not gotten a chance to personaly use it, but from wathing friends of mine use it, it seems extremely simplistic compared to FORMZ and other 3d programs.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'd agree - it's the perfect 3D software for design exploration rather than using CAD software with exact measurements.

In our office we have CAD, Viz, and Revit, but the problem with all these applications is that they require a lot of up front input - you need to know measurements of many things. The beauty of Sketchup is that you can do a lot of "what if" design exploration - ie. what if we pull this face up a little, what if we lower that roof a bit....it doesn't require numeric input (although you can) and therefore frees you from normal CAD protocol so that you can design freely. Perspectives, fly throughs, etc. are much easier and quicker to create too.

I bought the software, and within 8 hours had created a full mixed use community that we are designing in the office - 2 000 000+ sq. ft., 48 acre site....I'd recommended it - great value.

MJR

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: McGill McGill urban design program
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Oct 2011, 11:01 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Jul 2008, 12:05 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Jul 2008, 4:13 PM
  4. Replies: 2