Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: world series

Registered
    Jul 2002

world series

So now we know who is going to the Series -- Marlins vs. Yankees!
    Who will you be cheering for (shhh-- don't tell - I was secretly hoping for a Cubs vs. Red Sox series)?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I don't really care for the Marlins but I will be rooting for them just because I'll cheer for ANYONE playing against the Yankees.
    And you weren't the only one hoping for a Cubs vs. Sox series.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    growing up in the NY area, I though I was a yankee fan
    but I grew very tired of them always whinning and wining
    so now I am like Biscuit - go Marlins!
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002

I'm sorry you seem to have made a mistake. The Red Sox won last night. Grady Little pulled Pedro before the 8th inning and the bullpen worked two solid innings to keep the lead 5-2. Aaron Boone ended the game by striking out and falling down and crying. At least that's how I'm choosing to remember it.

Really, this has to be one of the least intresting World Series ever between the team that always wins and the team no one cares about.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    LIfe is so predictable...Red Sox & Cubs watching the World Series from the comfort of their living rooms. Go fish.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Marlins

TV ratings will plummet because the storied teams of the Cubs and Sox didn't make it. Advertisers will lose millions . Sportswriters, only too happy to find scapegoats like the Chicago Cub fan, will, once again, skirt writing about the real issue again that baseball is dying. By November 1, except in New York, people will have forgotten all about baseball, at least until that dreaded opening day, when whiney little rich players and owners cram another season of baseball down our throats. Possibility of strike talks will resume, as players, not happy with the tens of millions they are making, strive for hundreds of millions. Meanwhile the fan base of those willing to fork out $5 for a hot dog to pay for it is steadily shrinking.

Just a few more years now of Yankee championships won...er bought...and baseball will finally endure its well deserved death.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    It is just Old New York vs. New New York. (being that South Florida has a high concentration of transplanted New Yorkers).

I don’t like either team (being a Braves fan), but since I REALLY hate the Yankees and live in Miami…Go Marlins (I guess).

Is it possible for them both to lose?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Mets
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Huston

Is it possible for them both to lose?
    Yes, if ratings are low, as I predict. Lets face it, nobody except those in Florida and New York are going to watch this game, whereas if either Boston or Chicago would have made it, millions would have tuned it all over the country. Every single advertising executive knows this and cringed when that home run was hit in the bottom of the 11th

Low ratings will set the stage to the big advertisers to command a better deal to peddle their tawdry products for next year's World Series. When the present contracts are up in a few years, TV executives will rethink whether it's all worth it to fork out hundreds of millions to have rights to broadcast a game that fewer and fewer are watching.

With less money available from the bid media conglomerates, big market teams like the Yanks will have less money to pay their high-mainenance whiney, overrated, bloated players. They will be forced to peddle them off to meet the budget. Meanwhile, possibility of a strike will loom, further alienating fans who are just beginnig to crawl back from the fallout of the 1994 strike.

So let the damn Yankees keep winning! Sooner or later, America outside New York and give up on baseball entirely. Unfortunately, many will move on to other professional sports that are almost as bad like the NBA or Nascar, but at least baseball will be dismantled and then we can concentrate on eliminating another organized sport system and eventually professional sports altogether.

We can hope, anyway.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    This year the World Series can't live up to the drama of the LCS's. It will be anti-climatic. I'll watch because I love baseball, but my mind, body and soul won't be into it like it's been the last week. I bumped into a couple of Bostonians in Warrensburg, MO last night watching the game. One of the guys is currently on suicide watch. It was like a mosh pit when the Sox did something good, but the whole things collapsed under it's own weight in the 8th.

I hate the Yankees and don't give a s??t about the Marlins. I guess I'd like to see the fish win.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Worst possible world series combo for MLB. The ratings for Cubs-Sox would have been through the roof.

I no longer root for baseball.....the Sox are done, so am I.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Don't you people know that hockey season has started?

NH - should've watched Strange Brew instead, eh?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Re: world series

Originally posted by Floridays
    I was secretly hoping for a Cubs vs. Red Sox series
    I was as well. I'm getting burned out on the Yankees. Go Marlins!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Midnight Madness starts in just slightly more than 12 hours.
    Go, Hoosiers! (Although they will not be very good this year...)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. World Series burn-out?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Oct 2004, 5:14 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 28 Oct 2004, 4:44 PM
  3. Replies: 5