Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Electric Transmission Lines

Registered
    Feb 2000

Electric Transmission Lines

Does anyone have any examples of ordinances regulating the location and design of Electrical Transmission Line and associated structures and easements or ROW? I am primarily focusing on regional lines and facilities over 130 KV.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I would be really surprised if transmission line location in the U.S. was subject to any local regulation.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It is my understanding that these lines are regulated by the state and local government has little jurisdiction. There are some general guidelines used with regard to EMF setbacks, but still a lot of conflicting information on whether EMF is a legitimate concern.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Everywhere I've been it's been a PUC issue.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I work in the land where home rule is king.... or queen. Will it stand up in court... that is another issue...... Most towns/counties in NY... think our towns are a bit extreme.... regulating everything and anything... until someone slaps some big nasty law suite ... and even then... it will be a bitter fight all the way to the supreme court.

Electrical Transmission Lines
    Chapter 158, ELECTRICAL TRANSMISSION LINES
    [HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Yorktown 4-29-1975 as Ch. 47
    of the 1975 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
    § 158-1. Use of property for lines; standards.
    The Town Board may, upon application and after public hearing held upon notice,
    permit any land and the buildings and structures erected or to be erected thereon to be
    used, maintained and operated for the transmission of electrical power. In considering
    said application the Board will observe the following standards:
    A.No lines for the transmission of electrical power not solely and directly servicing the
    Town of Yorktown may be installed unless the same are on, over or under an
    existing utility right-of-way.
    B.The above standards shall apply only to transmission lines carrying in excess of
    33,000 volts.
    § 158-2. Conditions and restrictions.
    The Town Board shall, upon granting a permit herein, impose such reasonable and
    appropriate conditions, restrictions and safeguards as it may deem necessary or desirable
    to promote the health, safety, morals and general welfare of the community.
    § 158-3. Transmission for direct consumption not prevented.
    Nothing herein contained shall prevent the transmission of electrical power for the
    direct consumption of users within the town along conventional secondary street lines.
    § 158-4. Deposits to defray costs.
    Each application shall be accompanied by a certified check in the amount of $500 for
    the purpose of defraying the cost of obtaining the necessary surveys and reports required
    to review the subject application. Any moneys not used for the foregoing purpose shall be
    returned to the applicant within 30 days from the date of any final determination made by
    the Town Board in connection herewith.
    § 158-5. Penalties for offenses.
    Any person committing an offense against any provision of this chapter shall be guilty
    of a violation punishable by imprisonment for a term not exceeding 15 days or by a fine
    not exceeding $250, or by both such fine and imprisonment. The continuation of an offense against the provisions of this chapter shall constitute, for each day the offense is
    continued, a separate and distinct offense hereunder.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2000
    TSC:

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'm not concerned with the EMF.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have you tried this search engine Vivisimo
    I used zoning electric transmission lines
    results
    54 links to ordinances
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    ... check this site out... www.generalcode.com
    You'll find the Town of Yorktown under ecodes in the dreaded state of new york. I also have info about underground utilities.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Originally posted by tsc
    I also have info about underground utilities.
    Do you have installation cost data for overhead and underground lines for over 100 kv? I know the underground lines are encased in fluid filled pipes and that costs are influenced greatly by topography and geologic features.

Thanks for the help guys.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    How odd that this post relates to my wife's job (she works in the high voltage testing biz). Aside from the ordinance issues which have been addressed above, I thought I might lend some technical insight to underground high voltage (via wife). The problem is that yes the lines are encased in a liquid. That liquid is oil. So it is essentially an underground pipeline. When there are problems with the line/oil, it must be changed or degassed. It would require that the line be shut down (lost revenue for the operator) and the processing would take approximately 3 days with fast equipment. For a one mile section, the cost of that maintenance would be $50K plus depending on voltage, location, etc. There are 2 machines in the US that do it the fastest to reduce the down time (my wife's company is one of them.) While the aboveground lines have to be the ugliest thing out there, they are 1/10 the cost in installation and they are nowhere near the maintence.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 26 Nov 2012, 1:17 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 21 Jan 2009, 4:10 PM
  3. Anyone for Electric Football?
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Dec 2006, 11:30 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Nov 2005, 11:46 AM