Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A use for Walmarts HUGE lots?

Registered
    Mar 2002

A use for Walmarts HUGE lots?

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?sid=135314&nid=30

Perhaps we have a use for all that sea of parking Walmart wants. They want a big lot, we want commuter parking-make em share to build.

I like it!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2003
    Shopping center lots are sized for holiday demand of the year. They usually have excess capacity for 350 day a year, which could be used for other purposes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Could Wal-mart charge for providing the service of a commuter lot?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I think it would make a great "proffer" I hate those things in Va.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by gkmo62u
    Could Wal-mart charge for providing the service of a commuter lot?
    IMO: They (or any owner) should of course be compensated either by charging the drivers per car of by a lump sum from the city if it is to be subsidized.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Wading pools? Campgrounds (oh, wait they already are...)
    You're more boring than you know.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Couldn't this be sold to Wal*Mart's as a positive thing for them? They would have a steady stream of commuters twice a day right next to their store. This is the first scenario of which I've conceived where people will be within walking distance of a Wal*Mart every day. If the commuters are like most people I know, they would end up buying everything at the Wal*Mart because it would be more convenient than going somewhere else.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    BINGO!

I think thats the ticket to selling this idea to the big box folks.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    And if they embed a Starbucks they can cash in on that market too.......

I just thought of something

What if you could get everything you needed in bulk at one location. If that location was at a place you visited every day on your way to work, wouldn't that SAVE trips? I'm sure that would encorage more sprawl, but it should help traffic problems. You load up your Excursion with two weeks worth of supplies and head out. I think it's a good plan.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    A town just north of Toronto managed to get some park-and-ride spaces designated at a couple of big malls. I think it's a win-win situation - but I think some retailers are leery due to liablility issues. Don't know how they got around that in the example cited above.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    -If Wal-mart (A.K.A Krap-mart) doesn't want to comply you could always use the empty K-mart buildings' parking lots that are springing up everywhere.
    -Here's one question though, are the receiving any subsidies on the purchase of the property, or our they financing it all themselves?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The other use for big box store's parking lots is to hold criteriums in them. We did a few here, until Sunday shopping killed it. No cops, no traffic, one person to deal with, very spectator friendly.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by donk
    The other use for big box store's parking lots is to hold criteriums in them. We did a few here, until Sunday shopping killed it. No cops, no traffic, one person to deal with, very spectator friendly.
    I thought the other use was to “spin out” when empty :-S
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Huston
    -Lets not forget its a great place to leave your kids or pet in a locked car with the windows up, on a hot august afternoon. Yum chicken nuggets. Wait, what about the children!!!!!! Could you pass the hot-sauce please.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Huston
    Oh yes, those big empty parking lots are great for doing donuts and sliding around in after good snows. Yee ha!

I suppose I still have more redneck left in me than I care to admit.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    -If Wal-mart (A.K.A Krap-mart) doesn't want to comply you could always use the empty K-mart buildings' parking lots that are springing up everywhere.
    Or, failing that, one could always use the empty wal-mart parking lot that is left when Wal-mart abandons a location to build a supercenter across the street.
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    But isn't there a don-side? Wouldn't we be encouraging them to build lots even larger?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by ilikefish0
    Or, failing that, one could always use the empty wal-mart parking lot that is left when Wal-mart abandons a location to build a supercenter across the street.
    -To-shay, if that makes any sense.

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    rollerblading
    skateboarding
    kite flying
    dog park
    cat park
    model airplane runway
    model rocket launch pad
    track
    petting zoo
    community garden
    fireworks
    bonfire
    outdoor gym
    carnival
    city street maintenance person training
    train rides (kiddy trains)
    drug trafficking
    Park and Ride
    rally point
    group pictures

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Jessie-J you forgot: Go-Kart race track(s)*....

*saw it once in Temuco inside an abandoned anchor store at a decaying mall.

they're already rv parking lots.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The mini-Walmarts* are coming
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 23 Jun 2012, 11:25 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Nov 2003, 10:28 AM
  3. Got hitched at the Walmarts
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18