Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: another newbie

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Elisabeth
    And, no, I haven't been to Tupper Lake, but it's weird that you mention it because my Dad was there two days out of the week for the entire summer on business and, as you may know, it's not one of the most exciting/thriving spots in the ADKS, however, a beautiful natural/woodsy place to visit, I'm sure.
    One of my favorite posters shows a simple map of the Adirondacks, showing many of the towns and hamlets throughout. The caption reads: "New York City will never amount to much. It's too far away from Tupper Lake."

Last edited by SGB; 20 Oct 2003 at 2:46 PM.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I can't believe a Yankee fan just called the Red Sox "haughty!" You may have to take some ribbing here for a while, some of us are still not at the "acceptance" phase of our mourning yet.

The day after game 7 I rented Anger Management which is among other things a 2 hour tribute to the magical Yankees.

Grady Little was an idiot.

New Yorkers are always welcome. Have fun.
    Last edited by The Irish One; 20 Oct 2003 at 10:25 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Welcome aboard.

Post early post often.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Welcome to the boards! Have fun and stick around... (and get addicted to Cyburbia )

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Kia ora! Welcome to the insanity!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hello and welcome.

Here's a "z" in case you were looking for one.

Greetings. Make a wish.

Sounds like good school choices. There are other good choices in the MIDWEST, too.

Ever been to Coxsackie? I spent a month there one night...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Welcome
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Originally posted by Gedunker

Sounds like good school choices. There are other good choices in the MIDWEST, too.

Ever been to Coxsackie? I spent a month there one night...

I've looked at Ohio State because my brother and nephew live in Columbus, but I kind of want to be near home. NYC is 2 and a half hours, B-Lo is 4 hours, and Ithaca is 2. So although I like it out there and would love being in a Big 10 environment (go bucks!), I'd miss my dog too much--these past fours years going to school in DC were tough enough!

As far as Coxsackie goes, it's maybe 40 miles south of Albany and with all the times I've driven my the exit on the Thruway, nothing has compelled me to stop. I try to steer clear of locations with names similar to viruses.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I try to steer clear of locations with names similar to viruses.
    -Really, then you not really living life.

& are you living in Alb NY, or Blabany NY.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Oh, I'm in Albany--the heart of Tech Valley...I wonder, based on the article in today's Buffalo News, if the technology investment in the area will help bring people back to the city, or just encourage more sprawl. Personally, I hope it brings people back, but I'm biased since I've lived here my whole life and have an aversion to cookie cutter houses that have vinyl siding chimneys.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    As far as Coxsackie goes, it's maybe 40 miles south of Albany and with all the times I've driven my the exit on the Thruway, nothing has compelled me to stop. I try to steer clear of locations with names similar to viruses.
    I think it's an Indian - excuse me, Native American - name.

There are some really nice historic buildings in Coxsackie, plus the Bronck Museum - the 17th (?) century home of a Dutch family.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Originally posted by Mud Princess
    I think it's an Indian - excuse me, Native American - name.

There are some really nice historic buildings in Coxsackie, plus the Bronck Museum - the 17th (?) century home of a Dutch family.
    I was just kidding about Coxsackie!! I'm sure I've been through at some point in time. It's probably a nice place, and very historic (given that so much of the Hudson Valley/Capial District is). I've just never explored. Having said that, I'm off to see Coxsackie AND Tupper Lake....just kidding.

welcome to the crew!

Enjoy the stay. Post frequently, ask questions. Debate...

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Oh, I'm in Albany--the heart of Tech Valley....
    Albany is tech valley??? I guess i just really associate it with State Government....

Did you look into the Masters program at SUNY ESF at Syracuse... the Landscape Architecture might work for you... as you can pursue different avenues within the general structure.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Welcome! Went to grad school in historic preservation but would not be preservation planner b/c there are way too many hysterical people out there. Plus, the money is not as good as transportation planning. It is a fun study, but you have to work for a place that actually values h.p., otherwise you are spinning your wheels for nothing.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    thanks, for the heads up. It's interesting to read about everyones experiences and try to relate them to what I want to do. Although, it's been my understanding from the forums that where you go and what you study isn't all that important and that experience is really key. We'll see where I end up...

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Another Newbie
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Jun 2009, 9:18 PM
  2. Im a Newbie
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Apr 2009, 8:38 PM
  3. Another Newbie