Urban planning community

Poll results: Is SNL Dead or What?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • The best it's ever been!!!!

2 8.33%
  • Someone put the show out of its unfunny misery!!!

18 75.00%
  • What is this SNL you speak of? I'm out running the streets on Sat. nights!!!

4 16.67%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The Demise of SNL

Registered
    Dec 1998

The Demise of SNL

This past Saturday night, I watched SNL for the first time in months. I barely cracked a smile during the skits and eventually fell asleep somewhere in the middle of the show. It seems like every few years, the show sucks really bad then it picks up with a really good cast. Right now, I think it's in the dark world of the unfunny and has been like this for several years now. What's your opinion?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    That show died in 1982.

Get it off the air already.

Registered
    May 2003
    The current SNL is worth watching for only one reason:

Tina Fey.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I haven't watched SNL in at least 4 or 5 years....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

It's horrid and the cast couldn't possibly suck more than it does. Phil Hartman years were good for me. The writing is just crap. Most repeating skits SUCK, I've stopped watching it. You know it's bad when you turn to Madtv.

I tried to watch it and I agree, there is nothing funny about the skits. It has been terrible for so long and they should cancel it. The Weekend Update is the only thing worth watching. They rarely produce anyone funny anymore. Will Farrell was great, but the material givin to him was crap too, only after he left did his talent begin to shine.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Last Saturday's SNL had to be one of the worst of the past few years that I've seen. I don't know what it is but every few years they seem to bring in a bunch of new cast members who suck realy, really bad. I'm usually not in on Saturday nights to watch it live and last weeks veiw was enough to remind me why.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Haven't watched it in years...usually falling asleep watching the late hockey game at that time.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I agree with DH. The only reason I watch is Tina Fey. Yummy! Otherwise, its only ok and occaisionally garners a smirk from me.
    You're more boring than you know.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'd rather watch reruns on Comedy Central. The show has lost it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I think the reason for the sucking is that they're trying to appeal to younger viewers, maybe to compete with Mad TV (it shouldn't be too hard to compete with Mad TV). The new cast members are younger than ever, the skits are stupider and the musical guests and hosts are increasingly teeny-bopper oriented. They probably figured out that the ratings will be good if Justin Timberlake is on, no matter how funny the skits are.

And, man, the only thing funny about Horatio Sanz is that he's fat!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Tina Fey.
    Here here. Well, not the wholescale condemnation of SNL, but just the mention of Tina Fey.

I'll be gentle, and say this season is off to a slow start. Even the Not Ready For Prime Time Players put out some bad shows. The cast does have a certain chemistry that I haven't seen since the 1970s, but I wish it could be tapped more. How to do that, I don't know.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I have a few skits on my computer but I guess they're not really recent... But I do feel that they've gotten less and less funnier. Kindda like The Simpsons...

I liked it before, but sadly many of the funniest guys there were are now dead (ie Chris Farley).

I hope they get better.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I haven't watched the show in years because the comedy, if anyone can call it that, is very stale! The current cast is unfunny and I think the show has out-lived its creativity.
    Last edited by Big Easy King; 20 Oct 2003 at 5:13 PM.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    At least they've ditched Colin Quinn--he's probably the most unfunny cast member that has ever been on the show.
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    have not watched in a long time.
    usually a sleep or reading.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I missed it Sat. but yes, it has gotten pretty bad as of late. It is too bad also because 2 years ago it was hilarious. It just goes in cycles. It will be funny again soon.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Also, haven't watched it in years
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

At least they've ditched Colin Quinn--he's probably the most unfunny cast member that has ever been on the show.
    Amen!!!!!

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm on the "it goes in cycles" bandwagon. I've been watching SNL regularly since the early 80's (not as much recently, but I still watch 3 or 4 per season), and it does seem to have its ups and downs.

Right now it does seem to be in a slump. A few exceptions are Tina Fey, Rachel Dratch, that African American girl (I forget her name, but she plays Christina Aguilera and Donatella Versace hilariously), and once in a long while, Jimmy Fallon. Most of the top guys who were on it seem to have quit in the last season or two.

I think that once all the newer people start to generate a little more chemistry, things will improve. Maybe a writing overhaul would help, but who can say? It's been around so long, people will always expect it to be funny "like it used to be". Everyone wants the next Wayne's World or Coneheads or (insert your favorite skit here), but everything gets old. By the time Wayne's World 2 came out, I was getting pretty tired of the schwing thing.

Overall, I think Lorne Michaels can still make it work. He just has to remember some of the old desires to break into new territory. That's where the funny is, as opposed to some tired formula that is generated by studying demographics.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    The current SNL is worth watching for only one reason:

Tina Fey.
    ABSOLUTELY!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    But I do feel that they've gotten less and less funnier. Kindda like The Simpsons...
    -Whoa!!!! I hope you just didn't say that. The Simpsons keep on getting funnier with what they're working with (& with age). Just like fine wine or whiskey.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by ilikefish0
    I agree with that statement. Also, I think Tina Fey/Jimmy Fallon news team makes the show. To me, the worst seasons were the Anthony Michael Hall/Robert Downey years.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    -Whoa!!!! I hope you just didn't say that. The Simpsons keep on getting funnier with what they're working with (& with age). Just like fine wine or whiskey.
    Like Huston said...It goes on cycles... and The Simpsons, until lately where going through an unfunny cycle IMHO.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Like Huston said...It goes on cycles... and The Simpsons, until lately where going through an unfunny cycle IMHO.
    -I don't know about that, they've been the one thing thats remained consistant.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 26 Oct 2012, 10:06 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 17 Feb 2012, 4:46 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 1:24 PM
  4. What caused Terra Sapient's demise?
    Friday Afternoon Club