Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cyburbian cooking skills

Registered
    Feb 2004

Cyburbian cooking skills

I know there are a number of Cyburbian chefs out there. Last night I made a German themed dinner - Geschmorte Schweinrippen (Pork chops marinated in mustard powder/lemon juice and smothered in onions and tomatoes), spaetzle (german style noodles), fresh green beans seasoned with savory cooked with mushrooms and onions, red cabbage, sauerkraut with caraway seeds cooked in white wine and a couple bottles of Staropramen beer (yeah, I know its Czech beer but thoroughly Kraut in spirit). Sorry no black forest cake or strudel for dessert, but I don't think I'd be spraining my arm while patting myself on the back and saying it was pretty damn good.
    Mrs. M and I alternate cooking an international themed meal each week. For some reason I like doing German food best but over the years (and 6,000 cookbooks later) we have prepared very authentic: Puerto Rican, Italian, Swedish, Polish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Mexican, Spanish, French, Vietnamese, middle eastern and many other ethnic meals. The entire meal is supposed to be themed although there have been occasions where we have liked something really well and just prepared a particular ethnic dish served along with the Hamburger helper on Weds. night.
    I don't expect that many Cyburbians prepare the whole ethnic meal theme often but is there a particular dish that anyone feels is their forte? (c'mon, guys are expert chili chefs if nothing else!) You will all recieve 1/112th share of the royalties from the cookbook I am compiling entitled "Throbbing Brain Recipes"

Edit: my publisher advises me the title has been changed to "The Cooking of the Throbbing Brain".
    Last edited by Maister; 11 Jun 2004 at 1:09 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I cook a pretty mean duck

Actually I think I will cook up my salmon specialty tonite for the Ms.

I make a mean macoroni & cheese too.

I don't know if there is anyone else out there, but when I cook my steak I like it extremely rare.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003
    My specialties are two classic New Orleans dishes...shrimp creole; white beans. Yummy! My pork chops are good too. :-P
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Big Easy King
    My specialties are two classic New Orleans dishes...shrimp creole; white beans. Yummy! My pork chops are good too. :-P
    NORTH BAVARIAN STYLE!

Wienershnittzel, Kreute Salat und Pommes!
    With a really heavy DARK WIESSBIER or 3!

(breaded and deep fried thin slab pork or viel, cold shreaded cababage soaked in a vineger/oil sauce, and a mass of FRENCH FRIES on the side (that really is authentic in how it is served around Nurnburg!))

Guarenteed to sit in your stomach like a brick, make you want to hibernate, and chill you out completly!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My specialities include: Corned Beef Dinner New England Style, Shepherd's pie, chicken pot pie, barbecue, seafood fettuchini. Chinese stir-fry, poached halibut, and meatloaf. I was raised by a Cajun momma, so my seafood cooking is pretty good. Seafood boil is in my veins.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    My specialities include: Corned Beef Dinner New England Style, Shepherd's pie, chicken pot pie, barbecue, seafood fettuchini. Chinese stir-fry, poached halibut, and meatloaf. I was raised by a Cajun momma, so my seafood cooking is pretty good. Seafood boil is in my veins.
    I am already regretting this post. I am STARVING now!!!!! Shepard's pie - yum. How do New Englanders cook corned beef?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    How do New Englanders cook corned beef?
    I usually use a crock pot, with the corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes in water, and slow cook it all day.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I can more than hold my own when cooking...
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

I don't expect that many Cyburbians prepare the whole ethnic meal theme often but is there a particular dish that anyone feels is their forte?
    I'm pretty decent at what Cheryl Mendelson wrote of as "off the hip" cooking. Whatever is in season or even just at arms reach I combine into edible meals.
    Put me in a reasonably well stocked kitchen with a few standard utensils, and I'll make a meal.

It's been Vidalia onion season here, so my favorite thing to do has been to take a large sauce pan, put in about a quarter cup of olive oil, and enough Vidalia onions to reach the top edge of the pan. I then turn the flame on as low a heat as I can accomplish without the flame going out, toss the onions to coat them with the olive oil, and cover the pan. Every ten minutes or so I check on them, tossing them as needed, and cook them for as long as I'm willing to wait. Ideally the onions are nearly in a liquid state before I eat them. As the mood hits I mix in minced garlic and/or soy sauce about twenty minutes before I declare them done.

On the off season I do the same thing with a mixture of cabbage, yellow onions, and any vegetable or pepper I can scrounge up.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    This thread (or something like it) has been done before. My previous answer included Rolade. (Now, time to work on my final. )

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am already regretting this post. I am STARVING now!!!!! Shepard's pie - yum. How do New Englanders cook corned beef?
    Corned beef, potatoes, carrots, cabbage and I use turnips, too. The turnips provide a little bite to offset the blandness of the potatoes. Simmered for 45-60 minutes per pound of meat. Add the turnips an hour before serving, the carrots shortly after, the potatoes about 25 minutes later, and the cabbage about 15 minutes before serving.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My son and I like fixing theme meals from time to time, although we probably don't hit the level of authenticity that you do. I'll research, say, "how kids lived in the wild west", and we'll learn games and make toys from that time, then make a "cowboy" dinner. We've also done the middle ages, Rome, and some familiar ethnic stuff like chinese and italian.

I like to cook, but with a picky eater who is now in braces, I keep it pretty simple.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Larry Felton Johnson
    ...."enough Vidalia onions to reach the top edge of the pan...." .
    Vidalia onions are the best on earth, no matter what you're cooking. Accept no substitutes.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Vidalia onions are the best on earth, no matter what you're cooking. Accept no substitutes.
    Have you ever had a Vidalia onion saturated in crawfish boil??? Now that's when it's the best on earth.

I'm a pretty good cook, but my specialties are holiday meals - I cook everything except for homemade cakes. I also can cook a pretty mean pot of seafood gumbo. :-P
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

"Breakfast" would neatly sum up my cooking talents, although I am (apologies to BEK for usurping his title) The KING of the Grill
    Je suis Charlie Hebdo. Je suis Bataclan. Je suis Bruxelles. Je suis Nice.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    I don't know if there is anyone else out there, but when I cook my steak I like it extremely rare.
    Ditto! I like my meat bloody

I can cook fairly well, but my specialty is Chicken Marsala with a side of bow tie pasta and alfredo sauce....homemade Caesar salad (including dressing) and warm french bread.

IT'S NOT ON THE LOW CARB PLAN! WHEEEE!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I bake breads, including home made pizza. My family likes risotto, and the leftovers are rolled around mozzarella cheese pieces, breaded and fried.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    Corned beef, potatoes, carrots, cabbage and I use turnips, too. The turnips provide a little bite to offset the blandness of the potatoes. Simmered for 45-60 minutes per pound of meat. Add the turnips an hour before serving, the carrots shortly after, the potatoes about 25 minutes later, and the cabbage about 15 minutes before serving.
    We generally don't add the potatoes to the rest of the stuff but cook them separately - my mother says it has something to do with the starch in the potatoes. For a recipe - I just follow the one on the back on the meat package.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I fancy myself a pretty decent chef, especially chicken dishes. I cook a mean chicken marsala and baked pecan/almond crusted chicken.

Because of the rampant diabetes in my family, I've got a whole list of sugar-free deserts that are pretty damn good (I'm not diabetic and I'll pick some of these deserts over the 'fully-leaded' ones).

Mmmmm... time for lunch!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Baked goods are something of a specialty, like Wisconsin chip cookies and rhubarb muffins. I experiment with soups. Add traditional roasts for an entree.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I can't cook worth s***. My husband threw me out of the kitchen 15 years ago and told me to go to work and make money. However, my former very southern sister in law taught me how to make real Southern biscuits and real southern iced tea, so I am not hopeless.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tonite I made an awesome Coc Au Vin if I do say so myself.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm a half-way decent scratch cook if so inspired...
    Fried eggs are my specialty - one pan no spatula. CFO eggs on matzo cracker with hot sauce yum.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I've wanted to give African cooking a try. There is an African Cookbook online, so one of these days I'll try it out. Even if it doesn't turn out good, it'll be fun to try.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Sweet and sour spare ribs (just had them last night). Two spaghetti sauces I make (I refuse to buy bottles sauce) in which one of them requires a two lbs. block of Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese. My enchiladas are a requested favorite as well.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 23 Feb 2005, 3:41 PM
  2. What skills an internship?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Feb 2005, 7:06 PM
  3. Rate Your Cooking Skill
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 55