Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Skunks

Registered
    Feb 2004

Skunks

So this last weekend someone ran over a skunk on our road. I was inside when I noticed the smell. Went outside to see if there was a skunk in front of our house because the scent was so powerful. Nope, didn't see anything. Later that day I happened to be driving to the store when I found the roadkill skunk in question.....nearly half a mile up wind from our house. Dang, those things have a powerful odor.

I certainly would not enjoy getting sprayed by a skunk. Do you know anyone that's ever been sprayed by one personally? How long did they stink? Ever have a pet that got sprayed?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    At our old house we would sit on the deck and enjoy a beverage before bedtime. Occasionally a skunk would wander in our yard, head down, minding his own business. Mrs. P freaked the first time she saw it, but we stayed quiet and it ambled on. We named him Stinky because - well a skunk - but he made multiple appearances. I checked under the deck to make sure he hadn't made a home under there or in the crawlspace (he didn't thank goodness). We never bothered him except for one picture and he never sprayed (thank goodness x2).

I used to travel a back road to a former work location. The smell of skunk seemed like it was always present for some reason - saw several roadkills over the years. Never understood why that stretch of road was so popular for skunk.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I've posted on here a few times about the prevalence of skunks in my neighborhood and even posted a video a couple summers ago of a skunk running across the road and chasing me into my garage! I believe that now our neighbor's dogs have been sprayed 6 times!!! in the past couple of months. I woke up this morning and the side of our house closest to theirs absolutely stunk of the skunk odor, not just outside but inside as well. I think they must have gotten sprayed again last night.

The skunk population in our neighborhood seemed to really explode a couple of years ago. From what I've read, owls are about their only real predator. Maybe I need to figure out how to attract more owls to the area... I know our neighbor put out some live traps trying to catch them but I cannot imagine that will make a dent in the population. There must be something in the neighborhood that they are attracted to.

Running late at night and early in the morning, skunks are my biggest fear but thankfully I've never been sprayed.

About 15 or 20 years ago my parents dog must have scared a skunk at their house and the skunk sprayed but mainly got the side of their car. The skunk was very close to the car and the chemicals in whatever they spray must be pretty potent because it actually discolored the paint in a specific area of the car and the smell just would not go away. On a whim, my dad checked with their insurance and their homeowner's policy actually covered a deep cleaning of the interior and replacing or repainting on of the body panels.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

I have never been sprayed, but one of my cats was perhaps the unintended victim of a spraying skunk. The cat stunk, but it was more of a faint smell than a full-on spraying. It was definitely noticeable as skunk stink for sure. I can tell you the scent stayed with him for a very long time.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Jul 1998
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2002
    In October of 2007 I had two dogs get sprayed in the backyard. It was beyond horrific. "Ground zero" of a skunk spray is practically indescribable. It's this awful, acrid, almost burning type smell. One got a pretty direct shot right into her face. Thankfully it wasn't too cold yet and I kept washing them over and over outside. Don't even believe the old tomato juice thing. That simply masks it (a little). As fate would have it, there had been an article in National Wildlife the day before about skunks with a sidebar about dealing with getting sprayed. It involved baking soda, peroxide and dishwashing liquid. That helped a lot but for the first and only times in their lives the girls had to sleep in the garage. They were quite confused but it was the only way to not have the entire house reek. The back corner of the yard where the event took place had an aroma for weeks. I think it got into the wooden fence and just lingered. That's some powerful stuff.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I think it got into the wooden fence and just lingered. That's some powerful stuff.
    We tend to forget how long the stuff lingers. Update, I drove past that spot this morning and could still smell it (with the car window cracked open slightly). Keep in mind this was last Saturday...and it rained much of the day yesterday.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I had a friendly neighborhood skunk remove a carpenter bee hive from the ground in front of my house about 2 years ago.

So...I'm cool with the individual skunk at least.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

we had a Keeshond (that was a rescue dog). Every morning I would open the front door and she would go out into the yard, do her thing and then turn around and come back in the house, while I stood with the door open watching her. One morning a skunk came running across the yard and sprayed her then took off. I let her back in the house and put her in the bath tub and started pouring tomato juice on her. Mrs Kat went to the store and got more tomato juice. I don't recall how much tomato juice we went through. She was such a good dog, that she stayed the bathtub while I cleaned her and while Mrs Kat went and got more tomato juice, We never saw a skunk in the neighborhood before this incident and never saw one after this incident.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    When we lived in San Diego our dog got sprayed one night. She got the sleep in the garage and tomato juice bath treatment.

Once when we were visiting one of my wife's brothers in Colorado a skunk got stuck in a window-well outside the basement guest room we were staying in. It stunk things up a little but as far as I can tell didn't do a full-blown spray. We covered a board with a towel (for traction) and set it into the window well so the skunk could extricate itself, and that worked without any spraying happening.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Skunkpocalypse 2017 update: skunk smell finally gone as of this weekend. New skunk carcass spotted on daily commute this morning. Based on the odor rating, would estimate it was struck 2 days ago. Poor creature

We used to have a Flat Coated Retriever that would go after skunks in the backyard. I don't know how many tomato juice baths she had to endure, but she never learned.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I always tell me kids skunks are the jerks of the animal kingdom. They run up to cars and spray them then run away and that's why we have to drive through smelly parts of the highway. I try to leave out the whole they got hit by the car part.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I was out running by 5:00 a.m. today and counted 5 skunks within about a 3 block area. I was tempted to turn around, call it a day, and go home.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 May 2006, 9:04 PM