Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How Old is Too Old to Rock Out?

Registered
    Apr 2003

How Old is Too Old to Rock Out?

Keith Richards is 71 years old. Yea, the old guy from the Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger is about the same age. Both still wear pleather and rock out on stage. Brian Willson from the Beach Boys is also 71, but he has toned down his performances quite a bit, but Mike Love still tries to recreate the Beach Boy glory days, despite not having a hit since 1988. Paul McCarthy has also classed up his appearance and is not jumping around like a thrasher, but then again he didn't do that in the 60's either. Ringo Star (or Dingo as he is sometimes deferred to thanks to Apple auto-correct), just creeps me out. Smokey Robinson has not changed in 50 years, were as Jerry Lee Lewis makes you want to go WTF.

I reference these performers because they are all over 70 and they all are still performing. But at what point does a performer need to either change their style so they don't need to put down their walker to smash a guitar on stage, or trade in the stage for a sound studio?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm fortunate that my part time gig as a local stagehand in DC lets me work with the road crew and see most of the national touring acts. And I can tell you that for the most part, the older performers are far better entertainers than many of the younger ones. The general rule of thumb is "the more trucks, the lesser the talent." Not always true but more often than not. The Stones might not be what they used to be in 1980 but they're still fun to watch. And last year when I worked the show Mick was still bouncing all over the place, he's got more energy than many people half his age.

But here's the big thing about these groups touring: they like money. And there is no money in the music anymore. So you're not going to see too many of them solely in the studio. The money is in ticket sales and merchandise. So, they keep touring. And keep in mind the older artists also have lots of older fans and they've got more money. That's why Fleetwood Mac tickets are well over $100 for nosebleed seats and yet it's still sold out. There's also the adrenaline rush of walking onstage and having thousands of fans screaming in delight. That's a powerful drug and very hard to give up. As long as they're relatively healthy and people are still willing to pay these artists will continue to tour.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I couldn't agree more with MD Planner. I've seen Aerosmith 11 times over the last 14 years, and I swear they get better every time. They're like a bottle of fine wine, getting better with age, I guess. The amount of energy that Steven Tyler and Joe Perry (guys in their mid 60s) possess is just incredible. Alice Cooper, who is also the same age as Steven (67, I believe), also continues to put on an incredible energetic and theatrical performance. The fact that these guys' performances are still just as powerful, energetic, theatrical, and charismatic as they were 20 or 30 or 40 years ago (and dare I say possibly even better based on videos I've seen) is remarkable. I've seen many other acts in their 50s and 60s, but Aerosmith and Alice Cooper are the oldest acts that I have seen that stood out the most to me. As long as the artists have the desire and passion to perform, are physically able to entertain in the way that people like to see, and as long as people are willing to pay to come see them, I don't see why they should retire.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I think that you both make a very good point. Perhaps there is no age that is too old to rock out.

However, do you think Beiber will be doing the dougie on state at 72?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I think that you both make a very good point. Perhaps there is no age that is too old to rock out.

However, do you think Beiber will be doing the dougie on state at 72?
    Yeah, some people are just not cut out for it. Either your music or your show was never that good or timeless to begin with and people don't want to see you anymore. Or the artists let themselves go and lose their passion and drive. Or the artists get too self-absorbed in doing what they want to do at the expense of what their fans want to see. And others just have bad luck in developing health problems that they can't do anything about. Justin Bieber's music is just not timeless to me. But who knows...he's still very young and you never know what direction his career will go. I'm sure many people thought Kid Rock, Eminem, Britney Spears, and Justin Timberlake were flashes in the pan when they emerged in the late 90s, but I think they will all be here to stay for a long time. Til 72, I don't know. But there's a good chance with most of them, especially someone like Kid Rock who successfully adapts.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'll reluctently mention Willie Nelson in a thread about rocking out. I have seen him a dozen or more times over the years. The last time was was a year ago. He was 80 and as awesome as he was the first time I saw him. He has multi-generational fan base. His sets are geared to his audience. An older crowd hears more of his old school classics and the younger hipster crowd gets his modern stuff. I enjoy it all but I thaink it's because he knows that if it wasn't for his fans he wouldn't be where he is today. The shows are rasonablely priced and he seems to enjoy the shows as much as his fans do. I hope I'm agle to see him again. Of cours, I enjoyed seeing Mick Jagger when he was in his sixties.i just have a hard time paying the ticket charges for their shows.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    hoping to see Tony Bennett rock out this summer at FMG, but good luck getting tix

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm going to see Tesla and Def Leppard in July. Not exactly the Stones, but still. DL was my first concert ever, way back in 1992, and that was after their biggest albums.
    The cookies are worth the drive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Little Rock, AR!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 May 2011, 8:45 AM
  2. Hi from Little Rock
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 01 Dec 2010, 8:56 PM
  3. Do you rock?