Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 110 of 161 FirstFirst ... 100 109 110 111 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 4015

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Registered
    Nov 2006
    It's February 7, and here in WNY, we've had no winter. It's like we're living 200 or so miles south or 500 miles east along the coast. It's been the 2nd warmest winter ever recorded in Buffalo (Warm Winter).

Here in the Southern Tier where we normally measure snow cover in feet not inches by this time of year, we don't have any snow on the ground except on the forested north facing slopes of hills. The traditional "ice castle" at the Winter Carnival in Mayville will not be happening this year because Chautauqua Lake isn't frozen. Snowmobile tourism is a big deal in this county as we have hundreds of miles of groomed trails that attract snowmobilers from all over the East and Midwest, but there has probably only been about 2 weeks when there was enough snow on the ground to even get the sleds out.

With Lake Erie at 36 degrees and unlikely to freeze this year, we'll remain vulnerable to lake effect snow storms through March. The thing is, since we haven't gotten any arctic blasts yet, will we get any at all? Apparently, the frigid air masses from northern Canada that usually give us cold and snow from November through March either aren't developing or aren't sinking far enough south to reach us.

Where ever winter is, it ain't here.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    It's February 7, and here in WNY, we've had no winter. It's like we're living 200 or so miles south or 500 miles east along the coast. It's been the 2nd warmest winter ever recorded in Buffalo (Warm Winter).

Here in the Southern Tier where we normally measure snow cover in feet not inches by this time of year, we don't have any snow on the ground except on the forested north facing slopes of hills. The traditional "ice castle" at the Winter Carnival in Mayville will not be happening this year because Chautauqua Lake isn't frozen. Snowmobile tourism is a big deal in this county as we have hundreds of miles of groomed trails that attract snowmobilers from all over the East and Midwest, but there has probably only been about 2 weeks when there was enough snow on the ground to even get the sleds out.

With Lake Erie at 36 degrees and unlikely to freeze this year, we'll remain vulnerable to lake effect snow storms through March. The thing is, since we haven't gotten any arctic blasts yet, will we get any at all? Apparently, the frigid air masses from northern Canada that usually give us cold and snow from November through March either aren't developing or aren't sinking far enough south to reach us.

Where ever winter is, it ain't here.
    We're in much the same boat in SW MI. Our annual snowfall so far is less than some single snow events we experience most years. It's like we moved to Evansville IN. I wonder how this will affect the garden season in 2012?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Winter temp here - daytime high forecast is 33.
    right now it is 21 w/ windchill of 9.

but is sunny and no snow for now.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Feels Like Winter

Much the same "lament" or "yahoo!" words skidding around NW Ohio. In the second half of January and the first week of February the Toledo weather center reported something like 18 straight days with temperatures above normal. That even included some days in the 50F range, nearly 20 degrees above normal. This weekend it is more typical of winter around these parts, with low temps in the single digits (or very close) and high temps about 28F. Next week.....back to above-normal temps.

Snowfall is way below normal, too. I can look out my window this morning and see the two inches that fell on Friday night.....one of the few times that my baby blues see fluffy flakes this winter.

Should note: Baseball spring training is just around the corner.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    27.5 °F
    Pressure: 29.19 in
    Visibility: 10.0 miles
    Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3400 ft
    Humidity: 69%

Nice snowfall yesterday. Felt like winter for once.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Winter lasted about 2 hours here yesterday in SE Texas. It was a pretty gloomy day with temps in the upper 30's and wind. It actually sleeted here for a bit and the first 10 minutes of the late news last night was dedicated to this "breaking weather" http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8541174 . As a recent transplant to Texas from the midwest this response was funny to see. I went to the grocery store last evening and it was funny seeing all the people in the parking lot looking up watching the light sleet falling.

Today back to reality with temps in the 60's and a chance of some severe thunderstorms. It is supposed to be sunny and almost 75 tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Snowed on and off from Friday - Sunday. Today cold but with sunny skies. Tomorrow they're talking about the 40's. This is the most reluctant winter I can recall. At least Junior got to go sledding to his heart's content this weekend.....okay, not to his heart's content (daddy, just two more runs....), but to mine at any rate.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Spring is Coming!

A sure sign that Spring is on the way in the Great White North - They're going to start breaking up the ice on the river.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They are forecasting a nasty evening and morning on the panhandle. But they forecast a nasty afternoon which didn't happen. We shall see.
    We are in a tornado watch until 9:00 pm.

Tomorrow afternoon looks good enough for some nude sunbathing.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Saturday - high of 65, light breeze (great for golf)
    Sunday - high 43 (@ 9:00 am), windy and continued falling, then snowed an inch starting @ 5:00
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Saturday - high of 65, light breeze (great for golf)
    Sunday - high 43 (@ 9:00 am), windy and continued falling, then snowed an inch starting @ 5:00
    Basically the same here...got a little bit of snow and a two hour delay this morning! About to go out, scrap my car and cruise into work.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Mild forecast - approaching 50 today, 60's ? later in week
    Oddball

Registered
    Jul 2006
    It's terrible here in Dallas, I tell you, just terrible...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	4887
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Finally got some more snow around here. It was a real wet yet fluffy snow that sticks to everything, including signs and trees. Really pretty on the trees. Snowfall ranged from about 6 to 8 inches in the far northern and northwest suburbs of Chicago to 4 inches where I'm at in the far western suburbs, and a couple inches further south.

Still, this winter has been very mild and I'm sure we're still well-below average in our snowfall for the season so far.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    IP we were told we were going to get 6 inches too with less to the South. Turns out we got hardly anything. By the time the second wave got here early this morning it was warm enough to be rain. Hardly budged my commute time.

The big issue we are hearing is that we will have an early mud season and those with allergies will be in a world of hurt as there was never a proper freeze time. On the pluse side, the roads are in much better shape and the area saved a bunch of OT on winter crews/salt/pot holes. THis will probably lead to less salt damage to the roadside vegetation as well.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    IP we were told we were going to get 6 inches too with less to the South. Turns out we got hardly anything. By the time the second wave got here early this morning it was warm enough to be rain. Hardly budged my commute time...
    I was thoroughly unimpressed with the snowfall totals overnight. I skipped waking up early to go to the gym today with plans to get the heart rate up by shoveling 8" of heavy snow from the driveway. When I did wake up and look out the window, we had maybe an inch on the grass and absolutely nothing on the driveway. The Class 3 Killstorm never arrived.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How can the two local TV weather stations (Vipir and Titan), claim to be able to forecast the weather better than the other when they use the same radar images from Eglin AFB and Tallahassee Regional Airport and the same information from the national weather service? And get this: they've screwed up the forecasts all this past week!! I don't get it.

Anyway, it's cold and clammy on the FL panhandle today. I don't need Vipir and Titan radar to tell me that. Not a pleasant day.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    How can the two local TV weather stations (Vipir and Titan), claim to be able to forecast the weather better than the other when they use the same radar images from Eglin AFB and Tallahassee Regional Airport and the same information from the national weather service? And get this: they've screwed up the forecasts all this past week!! I don't get it.

Anyway, it's cold and clammy on the FL panhandle today. I don't need Vipir and Titan radar to tell me that. Not a pleasant day.
    It's 40 with 30-40mph wind today around here. Quit complaining...at least you have a hot tub
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2003
    Non-winter continues in the lower Great Lakes. Snowfall totals are down, temperatures (for the most part) have been staying above-normal. Cold this morning in NW Ohio (about 19F) but we expect temperatures by Tuesday and Wednesday to be way above normal, perhaps hugging 60F. March will come in like a warm lamb.

The northern Great Lakes are expecting heavy, wet snow for the next 36 hours. Even up north the snowfall totals are unimpressive.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Highs in the 50's this week.
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It's 42 damn degrees here and so clammy even the patio loving cat won't go out. We have the fireplace going and are imbibing wine to cope.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    .....Even up north the snowfall totals are unimpressive.

Bear
    I sit corrected. The Keweenaw Peninsula (Upper Peninsula slab of land.....that pointy thing sticking into Lake Superior) is at 140 inches. Considerably below normal for them. But 140 inches of snow is still a lot of snow. Nastrovia!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Still so cold and clammy I gave RJ the choice of frozen pizza or grilling a slab of baby-backs, and he took the frozen pizza instead of trying to grill. This is where you go out and your sweatshirt gets damp from the cold humidity, so I can't blame him.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Got hit with a foot of snow last Fri. The impulse to complain about it has not arisen, since we have yet to see winter this year.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Got hit with a foot of snow last Fri. The impulse to complain about it has not arisen, since we have yet to see winter this year.
    It looks like Southwest Michigan got it the worst this year in terms of snow. Not even the Grand Rapids area appears to have received major snow, at least compared to the average.

During my commute in the Metrot Detroit area this winter, I've only had 2-3 days where my commute was affected/slowed down by the weather.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 110 of 161 FirstFirst ... 100 109 110 111 120 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 8:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 2:33 PM
  3. Replies: 161