Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 114 of 155 FirstFirst ... 104 113 114 115 124 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 3854

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    ofos, good to see you checking in and happy to see you're safe.
    Thanks, RJ. This one was scary. I was out on the road headed back to my office when I heard the sirens go off. At about the same time, the radio said that the storm would hit my city at approx. 2:55. I looked at my watch and it was 2:54.

Has Salmissra checked in? She lives out in the area where one of the tornados went through.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Yesterday in downtown was scary and weird! Once the sirens started blaring, here at City Hall we were told to seek shelter downstairs in the lower levels. Other locations moved to interior hallways and rooms.

The drive home was crazy, but my neighborhood was still there. We had hail, high winds, tree limbs in the streets, etc. but the house was still standing without any visible damage. Need to get the roof checked soon.

The areas hardest hit were victims of more than one twister. We had one in the east, another to the north, just crazy!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Glad all of our Dallas-area cyburbians are safe! Amazing that no fatalites have been reported...God Bless Texas.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Very glad to hear y'all are okay. My sister lives in Mesquite and teaches in DISD south of downtown. She said they held the kids until 4.30 and that it was pretty scary but thankfully everything was alright. Man, I hate twisters...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'm a weather fanatic, studied meteorology for a time in college, storm chased quite a bit and have been a certified storm spotter for years (although I don't get much spotting in Arizona)

I put up a weather blog. look at it and enjoy.

http://wxboik.blogspot.com
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Very cool wind map here --> http://hint.fm/wind/ though I'm not sure what happened to our friends up north ... NOTE: you can zoom in as well.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Looks like we might actually get at least one day of Spring here in the ATL - temps are supposed to stay in the 60s today.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Freeze Watch here. County Next Door to the north - Freeze Warning.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    After experiencing summer-like weather in March, I feel like things are shaping up to be more spring-like and typical for the month of April...with topsy-turvy weather ranging from the 40s to the 70s, depending on the day. Last weekend was beautiful...60 degree weather and picture-perfect on Easter. However, we've had temps in the 40s and 50s the past few days with lots of wind, and with freeze warnings tonight. And 70 degree temps and t-storms are on tap as we move closer towards the weekend. Yep, now that's more like Illinois weather.

On another weather-related note, I'm excited because local iconic Chicago meteorologist Tom Skilling (from WGN) will be speaking as part of a severe weather seminar at a facility right near my house this weekend. And the other topics and speakers sound interesting too. This weather nerd plans on going.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Last week's storms in this area produced 17 tornadoes!

My hometown had what was originally thought of as heavy storms/high winds/hail, but now the Weather Powers are saying it was a Class F0 tornado. Wow. I mean - WOW!

Our insurance adjuster is coming later to look at the roof. I am just fine with being a lower level priority, since my house is still standing and has a roof. So far no leaks, but I want to be sure it'll hold up. Others in the area are not so lucky. On my street several cars look like they were in a demolition derby, and lots of tarps over skylights. There were lots of tree limbs down, and some hail still in the yard when I got home that day.

None of my coworkers were hard hit. We were all here huddled in the basement, and our cars underground. For a couple of the commuters, there was some minor hail damage to cars at transit stations, but no one was hurt or lost a home.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Its wrong that I had to wear tights and a winter jacket today...April 11th. I guess Mother nature is getting back at us for that beautiful March.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Oddball

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Looks about right for Georgia - picks up the western and central portions of metro Atlanta.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    just nicks the sw corner of MI. I'm on the edge of T.A. now
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_module.php?id=960

The COMET Program is pleased to announce the publication of "Weather Radar Fundamentals." This 2-hour module is intended as an introduction to the basic principles of Doppler weather radar operation and interpretation. It can also serve as a refresher for more experienced users. In addition to discussing the science behind radars, the module provides examples and practice exercises for interpreting reflectivity and velocity products for a variety of fair weather and precipitating weather situations.

Please follow this link to the MetEd description page that provides additional information and a link to begin the module: Weather Radar Fundamentals.

Most COMET modules use JavaScript and Adobe® Flash® for navigation, animation, and/or presentation of multimedia elements. Ensure that you have a browser updated to its latest version with JavaScript enabled and the latest version of the Adobe FlashPlayer installed (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/). For technical support for this module please visit our Registration and Support FAQs at https://www.meted.ucar.edu/resources_faq.php

We welcome any comments or questions you may have regarding the content, instructional approach, or use of this module. Please e-mail your comments or questions to Vickie Johnson (vjohnson@ucar.edu).
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It was in the 50s-60s this morning and the humidity was so low (33%) that the kid and I spent 3 solid hours doing yard work, and never broke a sweat. And I was in jeans and a long-sleeve tee.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    High 50s, and partly cloudy.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Sounds like some 'PDS' tornado watches for the mid-plains today.

Stay safe!

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Watching coverage of the tornadoes on the Weather Channel. You know the situation is serious when the folks at the National Weather Service office in Wichita have to take cover and have to pass off warning duties to another office. To quote the warning product, "a large, extremely dangerous and potentially deadly tornado is on the ground". The tornado is approaching Wichita right now. Hope our friends in Kansas, Oklahoma, and elsewhere are staying safe. I think ICT-316 lives in Wichita...hope he's in a safe place.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Rough night in Tornado Alley last night. Hunker down folks, it's not over yet.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    They are calling for up to 18" of snow tonight in parts of PA and upstate NY! The jet stream is acting just plain crazy this year. Late April snowstorms are not unheard of, but one would expect maybe 3-4" not 18"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    They are calling for up to 18" of snow tonight in parts of PA and upstate NY! The jet stream is acting just plain crazy this year. Late April snowstorms are not unheard of, but one would expect maybe 3-4" not 18"
    and its a very wet heavy snow too = lots of trees down.
    Dan, you hadn't put your snow boots away had you?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    and its a very wet heavy snow too = lots of trees down.
    Dan, you hadn't put your snow boots away had you?
    Sounds like it could be arborgaeden all over again. About 5-6 years ago Buffalo got maybe two feet of very heavy snow in October when the leaves were still on the trees. Given the weight of the snow and leaves, tress were falling down left and right.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    January called. It wants its weather back.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Look at this sh**!

+ Reply to thread
Page 114 of 155 FirstFirst ... 104 113 114 115 124 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 7:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 1:33 PM
  3. Replies: 161