Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 117 of 154 FirstFirst ... 107 116 117 118 127 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 3840

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Registered
    Mar 2007
    When I went to lunch yesterday it was hot (about 93º) but didn't seem humid so it really wasn't that bad out. When I left work at 4:30 p.m. the temperature on my Jeep's thermometer read 102º and the humidity had skyrocketed. It was downright oppressive when I walked outside. To make matters worse, I have no doors or windows on my Jeep so AC is just pointless.

Today is supposed to be slightly cooler... highs only in the mid-90s. My wife is taking our daughter to the aquatic park in the town next door and I'm sort of wishing I had taken the morning off to join them there. I wish we could get away with shorts in the office on casual day, at least when it's above 90. I think that would be a great perk... maybe I will suggest that.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Excessive Heat Warning thru monday

Broke another temp record - 107 today previous was 103ºF in 1952

Fireworks ban for next 7 days.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

NW Ohio

Still thousands of folks in NW Ohio without power, courtesy the straight-line winds that roared through a number of states on Friday evening. No outages in my neck of the woods but as you wander just south of my location, into counties such as Hancock and Paulding, many meter boxes sit silent. Lots of roads closed due to fallen trees and power lines. The storms produced very little rain for my torn-up yard (thanks to the sewer work and fresh asphalt). If you would have passed my house this morning about 6:00 AM you would have noticed a large bruinish-type watering the green Hydraseed, otherwise known as Hydraweed.

Day after day of plus-90F temps continue. On Thursday we hit 104F, quite high for northern Ohio. The seven-day forecast calls for every day to be above 90F. It needs to rain. Now.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I'm so over these excessive heat warnings....103 today, no wind or rain forecasted. I'm ready to get back to low 90s where I can deal!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    105 at 3 pm (broke another temp record - 101ºF in 1933)
    85 at 7 pm

thunderstorm passed through.
    Oddball

Registered
    Dec 2001
    It was cloudy today and right around 20 raindrops hit my windshield at a stoplight. First "rain" I've seen in months. The 4th might even be under 100 in the Valley of the Sun. It hasn't been under 100 since May-- Also, we just had one of the hottest June's on record.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Looking for a "cool" vacation spot right now? Consider WNY, my friends.

Here in Jamestown, we're at 72 now, dewpoint in the low 50s. The five day is highs between 83 and 86, lows in the 60s. Possibly some thunderbumpers on Tuesday, but not much chance of rain.

Buffalo will be a little warmer ... mid to upper 80s with a nice breeze off Lake Erie.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Current conditions on the panhandle:

Fair
    88°F 31°C
    Humidity 80%
    Wind Speed SW 10 mph
    Barometer 30.01 in (1016.5 mb)
    Dewpoint 81°F (27°C)
    Visibility 10.00 mi
    Heat Index 106°F (41°C)

Registered
    May 2003

Rain!

Our Swanton village burg finally got some much-needed rain. Rained nearly 2 inches in a short amount of time. Nice! This happened Sunday evening. We were again spared the big storms. This time they slid across Lake Erie's Western Basin, creating some water spouts while they roared, and pounded Catawba Island. Catawba Island isn't really an island.....it is a peninsula filled with expensive homes, fancy resorts, cliff-side dwelliings with lake waters crashing on those cliffs, and one of the three ferry services that service the real islands: South Bass, Middle Bass, North Bass, and Kelley's. A friend was on the Miller Ferry when the storm was hitting Catawba Point. He told me the ferry slowed way down to miss the brunt of the storm. It did hail a bit on the ferry as it idled across the lake.

More 90F temps here in NW Ohio for the next week or so. Should return to normal mid-80F temps next week. Fingers crossed.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's 4:30 on the 4th of July after a day of clouds and rain and now the sun decides to come out. Frackinrackinbackincracklinjacklin...what ever.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We've been in a thunderstorm for about 2 hours now. Wind, rain, and a little hail. There's a lot of water in my yard, thanks to the new paving job, so the borough manager will get a call from me tomorrow. My walkway seems to be the primary conveyance from the street, and I cant have this when the weather turns cold.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Lucky me, it got unusally cool in Phoenix yesterday. High of only about 81, mostly cloudy all day, and some light rain (finally!). The clouds cleared up right in time for the fireworks displays to start, and the moon was bright. It was about 72 around the time of viewing in the evening. Absolutely perfect weather and something that almost never happens in Phoenix in July!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    Looking for a "cool" vacation spot right now? Consider WNY, my friends.

Here in Jamestown, we're at 72 now, dewpoint in the low 50s. The five day is highs between 83 and 86, lows in the 60s. Possibly some thunderbumpers on Tuesday, but not much chance of rain.

Buffalo will be a little warmer ... mid to upper 80s with a nice breeze off Lake Erie.
    I was just there. Now back in Chicago with predicted high of over 100.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Just back from my road trip, TX-AR-MO-IL-KY-IN-MI-IN-MI-OH-IN-KY-IL-MO-AR-TX. Most of the two weeks, it was hotter wherever I was than it was in Texas. Looks like that's going to be the pattern for the next couple weeks. It's greener here in North Texas than it was in any of the other states. Of course, if they weren't highly drought tolerant plants last year,they're already dead.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    We got some badly needed rain yesterday, so it's gone from !@#$ hot to sauna
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    We also got some rain and sweet relief. It is a bit muggy, but the cloud cover yesterday and the rain last night started the day off much cooler than it has been. Hoping for more showers this weekend!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2006

Derechos

Here's an interesting piece on derechos from TWC. The one that hit Ohio, KY, and the Mid Atlantic last week is listed among them.

Derechos
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

High temps the past seven days: 103, 105, 104, 103, 100, 97, 102, and currently 101.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Going on a week of highs >95! Yesterday it was 102 with a heat index of 111! That's more than this Michigander was designed to endure
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    High temps the past seven days: 103, 105, 104, 103, 100, 97, 102, and currently 101.
    I need to fix that -- yesterday ended up with a high of 104F. The forecast is for the same neighborhood today and tomorrow, though as dry as the ground is here in Louisville, I think we could flirt with the all-time record of 107F. With two more triple-digit heat days, we'll move into third place for most in any year (behind 11 in '54 and a whopping 16 in '36).
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2003

Heavy Storms & A Tragedy

Sad news at my workplace. The brother of a 2nd Shift employee was killed when a tree fell on his car, breaking his neck. He was only in his mid-30s. As the storms and heavy rain hit the western suburbs of Toledo on Thursday afternoon he ran from his house to his brand new SUV to close the windows. The tree blew over, killing him. This happened in the suburb of Holland, hard hit by the straight-line winds that were clocked with gusts over 90mph. Hundreds of trees are down in Holland, Springfield Township, Sylvania Township, and Sylvania. Power is still out to thousands of Toledo Edison users.

The neighborhood hit the hardest (where the man died) is called Lincoln Green. Modest, middle class homes, ranches, bi-levels and tri-levels. My ex-wife lived there for years (before wandering off to Philadelphia). This is the neighborhood where then-candidate Barack Obama went door-to-door shaking residents hands (4 years ago). You might remember one of those residents.....Joe the Plumber.

My workplace, in Sylvania Township, lost power for 12 hours. Last year, as part of our path to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), I wrote the required Power Outage Procedure for our business. I was a "mad man" after the outage started, going all through the facility to make sure everybody was following the policy guidelines. For instance, in our huge warehouse the emergency lights do not penetrate the very-narrow aisles where our forklifts move products. The policy indicates that all forklifts must come to a stop so as not to put anybody in an injury situation. Supervisors with flashlights are supposed to check all aisles and assist any forklift operators to designated locations. Our Maintenance Team must hit the shut-off switches on all equipment so when start-up occurs it is not too great a load. Office employees must disable the power strips to their computers. Etc, yadda.
    _____

Today we are expecting another plus-100F day. When the front finally moves through later today we will likely see significant storms, some possibly severe. Sunday and on into next week.....normal temperatures for NW Ohio will be the standard.....low-to-mid 80F temps with low humidity. Pleasant.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    HOT

June
    28: 107 (old: 102 in 1936)
    29: 107 (old: 103 in 1952)
    30: 106 (old: 100 in 1952)

July
    1: 105 (old: 101 in 1933)
    2: 103 (old: 101 in 1933)
    3: fell short of 100
    4: 103 (old: 101 in 1921)
    5: 107 (old: 99 in 1953)
    6: 104 (old: 99 in 1930)
    7: 105 (fell short of record - 106 in 1936)
    Oddball

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The temperature reached the lower 100s in Chicago for three days in a row from July 4-6, and Rockford for four days in a row from July 4-7. In the far western suburbs where I'm at, it reached the lower 100 two days from July 6-7. The highest temperatures recorded in the area was 105, at various locations. Heat indicies topped 110 most days. Temperatures this high for this long are rare in the Chicago area, and this was easily the hottest heat wave in our area since the infamous 1995 heat wave that killed 700. Luckily, I think public preparation and response to heat waves has been much improved, and I don't think nearly that many people died of heat-related illnesses. A cold front finally came through Saturday July 7 in the late afternoon, bringing some much needed relief. No rain though. The grass has been brown for about a month. We really needed rain in May and June and didn't get much of anything. We have had some wicked storms come through portions of the area recently, including the derecho that devastated parts of the Mid-Atlantic (it also produced damaging winds of 80-90 mph+ across Kendall and Will Counties in Illinois), and also a derecho that affected portions of Kane and DuPage Counties on Sunday July 1st, knocking down trees, power lines, and fences, and knocking out power to almost 300,000. However, these storms were fast moving and therefore didn't produce the rainfall needed to break the drought in the area.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I just got back from several days in the UP... it was nice up there. Several times a day I would check the weather in my city only to be that much happier that I was on the opposite side of the bridge.

Downfall is I am worried that my landscape is toast now that I am home.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Suspected 2 heat related deaths in my fair county.

A relative called TODAY asking police to check on the couple because they hadn’t been heard from since July 1 or 2,
    inside the home was about 108 degrees when officers arrived.
    no ventilation in the home because all the windows and doors were closed.
    the officers that were standing outside, they heard the air conditioner kick on … but the outside fan never came on, which indicates to us that the air conditioner wasn’t working.”
    Several comments where if you know senior citizens - CHECK ON THEM.
    Oddball

+ Reply to thread
Page 117 of 154 FirstFirst ... 107 116 117 118 127 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 7:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 1:33 PM