+ Reply to thread
Page 120 of 157 FirstFirst ... 110 119 120 121 130 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 3920

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    High of 86°F on the panhandle today.

Looks like the economic recovery is well underway in NW Florida as evidenced by this new business opening.

Isn't that a funny little car on the left side?

I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Still too warm at 9 pm - 71.

forecast - Severe Weather Possible Across the Ohio Valley Sunday.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Nice day for a hike. Partly cloudy, in the high 60s.

Back in town for some coffee.

Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    They've got Hershey's Ice Cream. Good stuff.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Severe Thunderstorm Watch until 2 am

right to west of this watch area is a Tornado Watch area.
    Oddball

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Rainy day in Hppie Valley. Expected high in the mid-60s.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Very foggy here this morning. Kinda scary in places with only 200' visibility driving into work.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Haven't seen the sun in many days. It's rainy and mid-40's here. Probably a typical winter day for Atlanta
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Ouch.... It is going to be in the high 60's to low 70's here most of this week, but they are calling for the first snowflakes next week. I still have painting to do and storm windows to install.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Haven't seen the sun in many days. It's rainy and mid-40's here. Probably a typical winter day for Atlanta
    Atlanta? That's between Gaylord and Alpena if I remember correctly.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Rain. 50s.

Registered
    May 2005
    It will be in the 70s here in Detroit the next two days while the Tigers are in SF playing ball.

When the Series returns to the D this weekend, lows are expected to be in the 30s.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hurricane Sandy scary story but still just days away -

These scenarios range from a disruptive and destructive hybrid between a hurricane and powerful nor'easter to a miss and a simple change to cooler weather for the East Coast.

The worst case scenario for the East Coast involves Sandy paralleling the coast from Florida to the Carolinas this weekend before being drawn inland over the mid-Atlantic or New England early next week.

While the Southeast coast would face heavy rain, strong winds and rough surf, far more serious impacts await communities from Virginia to Maine if this solution pans out.

Reminiscent of the "Perfect Storm" during the week of Halloween 1991, damaging winds and significant storm surge would unfold near and northeast of its center along the coast. Similar to the 1991 storm, these conditions could last for days.
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-tropic/546066
    Oddball

Registered
    Nov 2006
    70s and sunny today and near 70 tomorrow with increasing cloudiness. I wisely took this afternoon off!!!
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yesterday was overcast, but warm. Low 60s, or around 16-17 in Peace-Loving European Degrees..

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hurricane Sandy has been given a new name - "Frankenstorm"
    http://www.nj.com/weather-guy/index....ane_sandy.html

Forecasters at the National Weather Service warn that Sandy is forecast to track north up the eastern seaboard and potentially merge with a developing nor’easter, creating a powerful hybrid storm that has the potential to have devastating impacts along the Mid-Atlantic and New England coastlines.
    Oddball

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Upstate New York. Late October. Sunny, high 60s, or around 20 Techno Music Appreciating Degrees.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I hope our Northeastern Cyburbians are prepared for Hurricane Sandy. KJ?

The storm is supposed to cause 20' - 30' waves here on the Great Lakes! I don't know if I actually believe it will happen, but I told my wife if it does I want to take this afternoon or tomorrow off to go up to Lake Huron to check it out.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I hope our Northeastern Cyburbians are prepared for Hurricane Sandy. KJ?

The storm is supposed to cause 20' - 30' waves here on the Great Lakes! I don't know if I actually believe it will happen, but I told my wife if it does I want to take this afternoon or tomorrow off to go up to Lake Huron to check it out.
    I understand this may be one of those uncommon occurances where the east side of the state gets pummeled harder than the west.

Stay safe KJ!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I understand this may be one of those uncommon occurances where the east side of the state gets pummeled harder than the west.

Stay safe KJ!
    Most fall/winter storms around the Great Lakes have winds from the north or northwest. That's why western Michigan, the Lake Erie shore south of Buffalo, and the southern and eastern shores of Lake Ontario get pummelled with snow and wind while Chicago and its suburbs, Detroit, Toledo, and Toronto don't get nearly as much. This storm will have winds out of the northeast which means that some places that are normally sheltered from winter storms may take a beating this time around.

That said, I think the weather media and certain government officials are unnecessarily stirring up hysteria because they have no sense of geography:
    • There's going to be a big difference between weather conditions in and around NYC (likely to have a major impact) and in and around Buffalo (likely to be a windy, rainy couple of days), but our dear govie has declared a state of emergency for the entire state. Earth to Andrew Cuomo: NYS is more than NYC and Albany even if you only get out this way during election campaigns.
    • The only places where it's likely to snow are in the mountains of West Virginia and North Carolina but Al Roker gets people in southern PA worked up about the danger posed by snow falling on trees that still have their leaves on. Al, if these people lose electricity, it'll be because of the wind, NOT because snow brought down tree branches on power lines! DOH!

I'm NOT trying to diminish the seriousness of the situation with this storm for the people living within 100-200 miles of the Atlantic, but most people further away aren't going to be impacted much differently from this storm than from numerous other late October/early November storms that blow through our areas every year.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    I'm NOT trying to diminish the seriousness of the situation with this storm for the people living within 100-200 miles of the Atlantic, but most people further away aren't going to be impacted much differently from this storm than from numerous other late October/early November storms that blow through our areas every year.
    I agree that the lowest-common-denominator corporate media are making money off of FrankenSuperDuperStormpocalypseZilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, but I just got done looking at data (I was a weatherman in a previous life, one of my best friends was a hurricane hunter). If it weren't for a dry summer/fall, Sandy would be more problem than Irene. She's recently intensified and is going to carry a lot of energy and moisture far inland.

Weather students will study this one for a long time, and likely climate students too, as being an excellent indicator of man-made climate change.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    I agree that the lowest-common-denominator corporate media are making money off of FrankenSuperDuperStormpocalypseZilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, but I just got done looking at data (I was a weatherman in a previous life, one of my best friends was a hurricane hunter). If it weren't for a dry summer/fall, Sandy would be more problem than Irene. She's recently intensified and is going to carry a lot of energy and moisture far inland.

Weather students will study this one for a long time, and likely climate students too, as being an excellent indicator of man-made climate change.
    A lot of people just don't understand that the real threat of global warming isn't turning the world into a giant sauna (although that might happen at some point in a distant future and might NOT be man-made at all) but an increase in the number and severity of storms along with their inherent dislocations of human activities as well as their devastation of people's lives, homes, businesses, and infrastructure, especially in areas susceptible to flooding.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Hurricanes and tall ships not a good mix. No mutiny this time.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Most fall/winter storms around the Great Lakes have winds from the north or northwest. That's why western Michigan, the Lake Erie shore south of Buffalo, and the southern and eastern shores of Lake Ontario get pummelled with snow and wind while Chicago and its suburbs, Detroit, Toledo, and Toronto don't get nearly as much. This storm will have winds out of the northeast which means that some places that are normally sheltered from winter storms may take a beating this time around.
    SHHH!!!!! Don't let out my secret! God has shown grace on Detroit at least as far as Northern weather patterns. Occasionally we do get a whallop from a Nor' Easterner but that is a rare occurance. I never experienced driving in a squall until I was in my mid-20s and left for Chicago. I caught some bad weather just W of Kalamazoo. Awful stuff.

WSU, if you can, take some pics, but put something in them so we can see the scale! Highest waves I've ever seen were approaching 10 feet on Lake Huron. 25 years ago.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2009
    A lot of people just don't understand that the real threat of global warming isn't turning the world into a giant sauna ...but an increase in the number and severity of storms along with their inherent dislocations of human activities as well as their devastation of people's lives, homes, businesses, and infrastructure, especially in areas susceptible to flooding.
    I agree - wet places wetter, dry places drier, storms with more power. We already see an increase in precip in some places and an increase in weather disasters. Out here we also see an intensification of droughty weather as well, as evidenced by the vast tracts of dead and dying trees in our mountains.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    It's been dark and quiet all day; rain on and off. There were very few people downtown compared to a normal Monday. Emergency responders in the area are in full-on panic mode.

+ Reply to thread
Page 120 of 157 FirstFirst ... 110 119 120 121 130 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 8:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 2:33 PM
  3. Replies: 161