Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 121 of 160 FirstFirst ... 111 120 121 122 131 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 3979

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Sunny and clear skies with a temperature of 88 degrees right now. It should cool off to the mid 50's during the middle of the night.

It's amazing how nice one area is doing, and another area is getting battered by a storm. I saw this posted recently:
    BREAKING: The water level at the Battery has reached 11.25 feet, surpassing the all-time record of 11.2 feet set in 1821.

Stay safe everyone out there!
    Last edited by dw914er; 29 Oct 2012 at 8:38 PM.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Jul 2007

Checking in

Checking in from Sandy's cold, windy and rainy southern end. Besides crappy weather, we are definitely very lucky to have power and no major winds so far. Sleet in the area...snow out west. Stay safe east coast!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Checking in from Sandy's cold, windy and rainy southern end. Besides crappy weather, we are definitely very lucky to have power and no major winds so far. Sleet in the area...snow out west. Stay safe east coast!
    I agree, Wilmington NC got the first lapping from Sandy - 2.5 days of dreary-constant rain and wind (only about 20mph). Today dried out and the sun even made a brief appearance, unseasonable cold tonight, but still have not turned that switch from AC to Heat.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Lovely forecast for this week.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Very strong winds and rain throughout Metro Detroit. Nothing too serious, but we are feeling the effects of Sandy. She's such a bitch and is set to ruin my Halloween.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    No pictures because my wife is taking my daughter to a Halloween party at the library and I'm not driving up to the lake to go sit around my in-laws house without her... but apparently they lost power yesterday morning around 7:30 a.m. and the beach, which was normally about 50 feet wide all summer, is now just a foot or two wide with the waves coming well over the seawall (their seawall is probably 30" or so).

They have a pretty wide yard between their house and the seawall and it gradually slopes up, away from the water, so they are not too concerned about their house flooding. However, there are some houses near them that are much closer to the beach than they are so it could get interesting. For reference, this is all about 3.5 miles north of the Blue Water Bridge.

Edit: Here's an article about the area with a few pictures: Hurricane Sandy blasts Blue Water Area. Hopefully the paper will add more pictures to it throughout the day.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    ...is set to ruin my Halloween.
    I recall this was a fairly normal Halloween when I was a kid. I would swear it rained or snowed probably 6 of the 9 or so years I went trick-or-treating.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    No pictures because my wife is taking my daughter to a Halloween party at the library and I'm not driving up to the lake to go sit around my in-laws house without her... but apparently they lost power yesterday morning around 7:30 a.m. and the beach, which was normally about 50 feet wide all summer, is now just a foot or two wide with the waves coming well over the seawall (their seawall is probably 30" or so).

They have a pretty wide yard between their house and the seawall and it gradually slopes up, away from the water, so they are not too concerned about their house flooding. However, there are some houses near them that are much closer to the beach than they are so it could get interesting. For reference, this is all about 3.5 miles north of the Blue Water Bridge.
    I was wondering how bad it was up there. I know my niece and nephews had no school because of power outages.

The only real effects of the storm we've felt so far is the neighbors across the street who fail to cover their garbage buckets so their bags are in their front yard with trash blowing up and down the street.

Update: Today is trash pick up day, and my wife said the mom and both of the kids all left for the day with 3 bags of garbage laying in their front yard, with one of them open. Assholes.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We're fine here in SW Ohio, just some strongish winds.

But my BIL is in southern NJ and they got hit hard. He's alright, but without power. We're keeping a close eye on him.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I recall this was a fairly normal Halloween when I was a kid. I would swear it rained or snowed probably 6 of the 9 or so years I went trick-or-treating.
    You know, you're probably right. Perhaps I have a highly romanticized view of Halloween and forget about the weather due to the glorious amount of candy that finds its way into my house each year.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Just a little spitting of rain here, saw some snow blowing down off the mountains. Major cold wind though. Soccer practice for the kiddies was fun with that.

kjel, you out there?

The HMS Bounty was moored in my fair hometown while I was growing up. It was a tourist attraction for many years. I can still remember seeing it at the pier. I'm sad she's lost at sea.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

Edit: Here's an article about the area with a few pictures: Hurricane Sandy blasts Blue Water Area. Hopefully the paper will add more pictures to it throughout the day.
    There were loads of people up in Niagara County (north of Buffalo on the south shore of Lake Ontario) who went out to the Wilson, NY harbor to take pix of the waves, which they don't get very often. One college kid from Niagara University tried surfing until the sheriff came along and dissuaded him from doing it. A few fools actually went out on the concrete pier on the east side of the harbor, but most people just stayed up on the bluffs in Krull Park and took in the view. Very windy, very rainy, but very safe up there. If I lived in Buffalo, I might have made the trip myself.

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I was wondering how bad it was up there. I know my niece and nephews had no school because of power outages.

The only real effects of the storm we've felt so far is the neighbors across the street who fail to cover their garbage buckets so their bags are in their front yard with trash blowing up and down the street.

Update: Today is trash pick up day, and my wife said the mom and both of the kids all left for the day with 3 bags of garbage laying in their front yard, with one of them open. Assholes.
    Neighbors like that make you think that living like a hermit on some mountain or on a deserted island might NOT be so bad.

I decided NOT to put out my trash last night because I assumed that the winds would still be nasty this morning, and my empty trash can, which has a tendency to become so easily airborne that it has to be stored in the garage, would sail off to PA but not before causing all kinds of mischief. Surprisingly, the winds were minimal this morning, but our diligent city garbage folk were out at 6 AM, so my garbage will get a week to "cure".

Generally, Sandy proved to be a dud here in the far western Southern Tier of NYS. There were only scattered power outages throughout WNY, and minimal flooding, partly because the rain was much less than predicted, and partly because of the fairly dry summer we had where ponds and reservoirs were pretty well drawn down. I think we have recharged a lot of acquifiers in this part of the country, though.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I need intervention as I am addicted to this storm

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    ...and you are addicted to the rhyming picture threads.....

LP, you're a 12 steppers dream
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We were lucky. In fact we had some thunderstorms this summer that resulted in stronger winds and more damage. We luckily never lost power but others in our region did. We were lucky this time.

Planit, I saw the HMS Bounty story on The Today show this morning. Apparently the captain is still lost at sea.

The members of the Coast Guard are pretty dang awesome. I am amazed at their bravery and skill.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    kjel posted recently on FB that they're fine. Have all utilities.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    A guy that I knew when I lived out east was in the Carribian when it hit there, only to fly home to Eastern PA to prepare to get hit again. He said he has already met Sandy and she is a B&#%!.

It is cold, very windy and raining here in West Michigan, and we are only at the edge of the storm. I am impressed with how everyone out east is doing and hope that everyone is staying safe.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    My wife yelled at me last night to get off the computer. The pictures coming out of twitter and facebook were awesome (in the true sense of the word).
    I don't necessarily like destruction but the power of nature gets me awestruck. I did the same with the Fukashima Tsunami.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2005
    From my brother in Ft. Lauderdale, FL:

Hey, check out the picture of A1A just east of our house…almost looks like a mini-intracoastal waterway!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/pal...,6541118.story
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Sunny and supposed to be in the mid-80's here today, but thinking about my cousin in Brooklyn and wondering if her and her family are okay.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Overcast. 40s. Blah.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Overcast. 40s. Blah.

I see Subbies & Volvos...must be Ithaca!

57 and partly cloudy here, nice sunset starting (time change takes some getting used to)

Registered
    Nov 2006
    There is this strange, glowing ball in the sky ... oh, yeah! It's the sun!!! We went almost 10 straight days of nasty, dark clouds ...
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yesterday's report: sunny, low 40s.

In the morning:

Around noon:

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    60's this weekend, snow in time for rush hour traffic on Tuesday morning... GREAT... I get to be on the freeways with people who forget how to drive in the snow...
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

+ Reply to thread
Page 121 of 160 FirstFirst ... 111 120 121 122 131 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 8:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 2:33 PM
  3. Replies: 161