Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 125 of 153 FirstFirst ... 115 124 125 126 135 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 3823

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Registered
    Nov 2006
    It hit 65 on my thermometer yesterday, but I think the official reading was 59 or something. We got a few showers but not a lot. All the snow on my lot, even down by the end of the driveway, is gone when it was piled at least 3 feet high on the north side of the driveway a week ago.

I walked the pup this morning in shoes!

The temps are supposed to fall into the 20s by tonight, but no snow until at least Thursday.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Jul 2006
    26 in Dallas this a.m. Brrrrrrrr!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I guess a cold-ish front is coming thru tonight. Back to jeans after a week of wearing shorts!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yuk. High wind, dark skies, and nasty pellet snow. 33°F, 1°☭.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

It's been snowing all day here in Birmingham, AL. 33F right now. We're usually good for snow about once a year, so this is probably it for us.

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Yuk. High wind, dark skies, and nasty pellet snow. 33°F, 1°☭.

33F and snowing.........so Buffalo and Birmingham have the exact same weather on the exact same day in January. Weird.

Registered
    May 2005
    Turned the space heater on for the first time in my office this morning.

It's not horribly cold today, but the highs next week are only supposed to be in the teens, so I wanted to make sure the space heater works.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There's a certain joking that goes on among folks that live in cold climes where we assume a default position that everyone 'dreads' winter (even if you really don't). For instance, on an unseasonably chilly day in September you might say to a stranger waiting in line next to you outdoors "Uh oh, looks like winter's come early." But this is two years in a row that we've found ourself in mid-January and winter has yet to hit. I mean it's been cold, but I'd say we've had barely 6 inches of snow total so far this season! Normally we'd be measuring in feet! Yes, shovelling driveways and driving on icy roads can be a pain but we need the water come springtime for the plants and lake levels...and so far the accumulation doesn't bode well at all.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    There's a certain joking that goes on among folks that live in cold climes where we assume a default position that everyone 'dreads' winter (even if you really don't). For instance, on an unseasonably chilly day in September you might say to a stranger waiting in line next to you outdoors "Uh oh, looks like winter's come early." But this is two years in a row that we've found ourself in mid-January and winter has yet to hit. I mean it's been cold, but I'd say we've had barely 6 inches of snow total so far this season! Normally we'd be measuring in feet! Yes, shovelling driveways and driving on icy roads can be a pain but we need the water come springtime for the plants and lake levels...and so far the accumulation doesn't bode well at all.
    I agree.

I HATE the snow. But I also know that our lakes desperately need the precipitation. I was hoping for a lot of snow this year for that reason alone. But as you say, the last 2 years have been an oddity.

It does appear that West Michigan may get some lake effect snow starting Sunday night.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    It does appear that West Michigan may get some lake effect snow starting Sunday night.
    Last night when I took the trash out the scent of snow was in the air powerfully...we ended up getting a few flurries. This is hurting the outdoor winter sports industry badly. It's going to cause problems for the boaters who won't be able to navigate onto Lake Mich. from shallow channels. It's going to hurt the farmers....this mild winter might cut down on the salt bill and eliminate overtime for the Streets Departments, but we are going to pay for it later..
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I agree.

I HATE the snow. But I also know that our lakes desperately need the precipitation. I was hoping for a lot of snow this year for that reason alone. But as you say, the last 2 years have been an oddity.

I actually love the snow and have been really missing it. We borrowed my in-laws cross country skis last winter and still haven't gotten the chance to use them. However, as much as I enjoy the snow and the cold, I am looking forward to going to Florida for a few weeks next month and being able to go swimming again.

The precipitation would be good for the lakes but what they really need is a good stretch of very cold weather (for a few weeks or a month or so). They haven't had that in a couple of years and the lack of prolonged ice cover means that the evaporation never slows down or stops like it is supposed to in the wintertime. That has a bigger effect on the water levels than a lot of people realize.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I actually love the snow and have been really missing it. We borrowed my in-laws cross country skis last winter and still haven't gotten the chance to use them. However, as much as I enjoy the snow and the cold, I am looking forward to going to Florida for a few weeks next month and being able to go swimming again.

The precipitation would be good for the lakes but what they really need is a good stretch of very cold weather (for a few weeks or a month or so). They haven't had that in a couple of years and the lack of prolonged ice cover means that the evaporation never slows down or stops like it is supposed to in the wintertime. That has a bigger effect on the water levels than a lot of people realize.
    My wife and I were recently given some cross country skis and I will admit that I would like to get out and try them.

That's a good point about the ice cover. I had never really thought about that.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We had a good snow for about 2 or 3 hours last night, but it didn't really stick. Roads were icy because of all the rain we've had this week and schools were closed. I heard a bigger city and hour east of us had 3" on the ground.

High will be 47 and sunny today so all the roads should be clear.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    We had a good snow for about 2 or 3 hours last night, but it didn't really stick. Roads were icy because of all the rain we've had this week and schools were closed. I heard a bigger city and hour east of us had 3" on the ground.

High will be 47 and sunny today so all the roads should be clear.
    We only had about 2" on the ground and most was already melted by the time I left for work at 9 something because of our two-hour delay.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Cold snap ended.

We had a little over a week of 20-40 degree temps (which is cold for SoCal), and now we're back to the high 60's and mid 70's.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    Cold snap ended.

We had a little over a week of 20-40 degree temps (which is cold for SoCal), and now we're back to the high 60's and mid 70's.
    Thank goodness...the rest of the country was so worried about you all there!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    It is currently 9F but feels like -5F. Brrrr.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Same here, and the sky is so blue - maybe from the cold.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I woke up at 4:45 this morning to go to the gym and watched the thermometer on my Jeep drop from 41º when I pulled out of the garage to 2º by the time I got a half mile away. I made the mistake of leaving my iPod in the Jeep while I was working out and it didn't seem to appreciate that. When I came out it wouldn't turn on and just kept resetting itself over and over again. It was -3º on the thermometer when I was pulling into the parking lot at my office this morning. With the windchill, it's -18º here right now. I don't think I'll be heading out for my mid-morning walk through the campus today.

We had some really high winds a couple nights ago and there were about 100,000 homes without power at one point. I think I saw this morning that they are down to about 5,000 or so. I'd hate to be one of those houses right now.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Thermometer in the car said it was 5 driving to work this morning. Salt is useless at these temps and the road crews are currently laying down sand.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    All the way down to the Ohio River.

Temp is 14.
    Wind Chill is 6.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    How cold is it outside?

Fu*king. That's how cold it is. Fu*king.

1° In cultured, open-minded European degrees is "verdammt kalt".

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    How cold is it outside?

Fu*king. That's how cold it is. Fu*king.
    Pffffft. Stop being such a wimp.

It was -22F / -30 C here this morning. With the windchill it was -40 in both F and C. So cold, I actually put a sweater on this morning.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Very chilly here in Wilmington NC this morning. It was 24 at 8:30 AM taking my little one to Pre-K. Worst part is the other little one had hid half an ice cream cone in his winter coat so he only had a fleece to wear instead.

Considering most all homes here are on heat pumps and don't have furnaces the electric load today will be through the roof as if it were 98 out.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Pffffft. Stop being such a wimp.

It was -22F / -30 C here this morning. With the windchill it was -40 in both F and C. So cold, I actually put a sweater on this morning.
    Now that's f*ucking cold!

It was 3F this a.m. when I took the dogs out. I lost one of my gloves on my walk but I was not going back for it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 125 of 153 FirstFirst ... 115 124 125 126 135 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 7:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 1:33 PM
  3. Replies: 161