Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 130 of 157 FirstFirst ... 120 129 130 131 140 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 3920

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Over 30" here, a new record. Only Connecticut got more.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Hattiesburg, MS was hit by a tornado this evening. Hope our friend Whose Yur Planner is ok and his place escaped damage.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Hattiesburg, MS was hit by a tornado this evening. Hope our friend Whose Yur Planner is ok and his place escaped damage.
    I saw that in the news too. I hope he's okay.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Alive, well and very tired-thanks. No damage at my place, but parts of both Counties got hit. Parts of it hit to the west of me and other parts hit to the east. I spend the evening reading Vagabond by Bernard Cornwell on my Ipad in the dark.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The aftermath. Overcast, high 20s.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We actually had nice weather this weekend. It is going to roller coaster though this week again. My plants are starting to think about blooming... that is a bad idea...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We are having an intense thunderstorm, and hail is piling up on the top of the screened pool enclosure; we can hear it pinging against some of the windows.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is this february weather ?

56 and windy (23 mph)
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Is this february weather ?

56 and windy (23 mph)
    71 and gusting to 35 mph here.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2009

Studies predict less snow, more blizzards

Studies predict less snow, more blizzards

Posted: 02/19/2013 12:01:00 AM MST

By Seth Borenstein
    The Associated Press

With scant snowfall and barren ski slopes in parts of the Midwest and Northeast the past couple of years, some scientists have pointed to global warming as the culprit.

Then when a whopper of a blizzard smacked the Northeast with more than 2 feet of snow in some places earlier this month, some of the same people again blamed global warming.

How can that be? It's been a joke among skeptics, pointing to what seems to be a brazen contradiction.

But the answer lies in atmospheric physics. A warmer atmosphere can hold, and dump, more moisture, snow experts say. And two soon-to-be-published studies demonstrate how there can be more giant blizzards yet less snow overall each year. Projections say that's likely to continue with man-made global warming.

Consider:

The United States has been walloped by twice as many of the most extreme snowstorms in the past 50 years than in the previous 60 years, according to an upcoming study on extreme weather by leading federal and university climate scientists. This also fits with a dramatic upward trend in extreme winter precipitation — rain and snow — in the Northeastern U.S. charted by the National Climatic Data Center.

Yet the Global Snow Lab at Rutgers University says that spring snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere has shrunk on average by 1 million square miles in the past 45 years.

And an upcoming study in the Journal of Climate says computer models predict annual global snowfall to shrink by more than a foot in the next 50 years. The study's author said most people live in parts of the United States that are likely to see annual snowfall drop by 30 to 70 percent by the end of the century.
    "Shorter snow season, less snow overall, but the occasional knockout punch," Princeton University climate scientist Michael Oppenheimer said. "That's the new world we live in."
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2005
    It's February 19. There's no complaining about snow on February 19. Come March 1, the whining may commence.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    They're thinking about calling a snow day tomorrow if we get the promised 15". Come on snow!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The weatherman was carrying on in Wagnerian fashion yesterday about how we were probably gonna get hit with a blizzard and should expect a foot of snow or more......we got maybe 4-5 inches last night. Granted we're not done yet, but color me unimpressed.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The weatherman was carrying on in Wagnerian fashion yesterday about how we were probably gonna get hit with a blizzard and should expect a foot of snow or more......we got maybe 4-5 inches last night. Granted we're not done yet, but color me unimpressed.
    It started snowing here in the east side suburbs around 7:30 this morning. It's coming down pretty hard but I think it's only supposed to last a few hours. I think we're supposed to get around 2 inches.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I got an email from my brother in KC. He said they got 15" to 17" yesterday and had a fun time driving home (and disregarded a few traffic lights so he wouldn't get stuck).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Thunderstorms with heavy rain here We may end up rooting around in the freezer for dinner; I don't go out in thunder and lightning unless I have to. I did get to the vet's (5 min from home) to pick up the cat's meds during a brief lull in the weather this morning.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ is always so nervous during thunderstorms (hit and miss all day today). I find them comforting, but then, I grew up with them and as RJ has said, they're rare in his hometown.

At least he hasn't had to deal with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Ki...rnado_outbreak The tornado outbreak that hit central FL maybe 3 months after I bought my house down there; that was a scary night! Just realized that was 15 years ago yesterday. Yow!

Registered
    May 2005
    The next round of snow is supposed to hit Michigan tomorrow. Expecting about 6 inches in Metro Detroit, maybe more, maybe less, depending on where the rain/snow line falls.

We've had a little under the average snow fall amount this year. It hasn't seemed bad at all because it hasn't been consecutive snow, and what has come down has usually melted a fair amount by the time the next snow falls.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This has been a pretty rough winter here in New England. Very cold temps and lots of snow.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Rain, thunder, rain, thunder, flash flood warnings, rivers cresting, tornado watch tonight...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Supposed to get up to 6 inches snow starting this morning.

A general observation about winter here this year: winter was unusually late in coming but hasn't released its grip much at all since arriving.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Continuous rain today and cold - many puddles
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Continuous rain today and cold - many puddles
    Ditto

Same here. Hurry up Spring!!!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Supposed to get up to 6 inches snow starting this morning.

A general observation about winter here this year: winter was unusually late in coming but hasn't released its grip much at all since arriving.
    I really enjoy the sense of anticipation prior to a strong thunderstorm or impending snow storm.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I really enjoy the sense of anticipation prior to a strong thunderstorm or impending snow storm.
    I kinda know what you're talking about. There's a palpable feeling of excitement in the air. I understand why some folks are drawn to stormchasing as a hobby.

+ Reply to thread
Page 130 of 157 FirstFirst ... 120 129 130 131 140 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 8:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 2:33 PM
  3. Replies: 161